Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 6:19am

Style: Bicep Curls

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wing Tsun Parramatta

Wing Tsun Parramatta

To be honest, what motivated me to join Wing Tsun at first was because I stumbled across this website, where everyone was bashing Wing Tsun and BJJ nut riding. At the time I knew next to nothing about martial arts and decided to play the Devil’s Advocate like I always do, I found a school. And my Wing Tsun adventures began.

The gym is built on top of a Sicilian Restaurant. The head instructor is Si-Hing Otto Heutling, trained by Si-Fu Stefan Fischer, the Australian Chief Instructor for Wing Tsun.

This is an example of a typical training session at Parramatta Wing Tsun.
    Warm-up – 10 minutes of forms
    Technique – 20 minutes of air punching/blocking
    Sparring Drills – 20 minutes of complaint partner drills
    Fitness – 10 minutes of burpees, chain punches etc

Well, the first problem with the school is forms… need I say more? Techniques we were told to practice lesson after lesson were highly unrealistic, ie. a punch and block combo with a quick step forward using the Wing Tsun stance. The footwork made me feel highly immobile.

The sparring drills were horrible, months of doing this could cause you brain damage. Blocking set kicks and punches over and over turns you into retarded homo LARPtastic robot. “Blitz defence” drills we were taught are basically a flashy way of sucker punching someone who is trying to attack you, well a sucker punch followed by a barrage of punches with no shoulder/hip movement or power while the other guy freezes up on you.

Anti-Grapple! There was the only thing I took from 6 months of training. The Sprawl. We practiced anti-crapple every now and then, the only effective technique was the sprawl, but we drilled it with complaint opponents that didn’t have a clue how to do a shoot/takedown. After witnessing a spar between two seniors where to fight was brought to the ground, yeah, their advanced anti-crappling didn’t work. They looked like 2 guys having a seizure.

The warmups of my current school are 10x more harder than the fitness part in Wing Tsun.

There was one instructor to about 10-20 students, the instructor would tell us to do a specific drill and leave us to it. He spent a lot of class time in his office.

Grading cost $300 dollars, as I recall, full uniform was required, T-shirt, pants and KUNG FU Slippers (lucky for me, I never graded or bought their gear). There are 12 Student grades, so you are looking at $3600 if you want to be a Wing Tsun “Black Belt”.

In conclusion, I wasted 6months of training time, I wasted nearly a grand and now I know why so many of you bashed Wing Tsun.

I may be a little biased in my ratings due to the fact the instructor charged me 2 months tuition after I told him repeatedly I was quiting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 3:30pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    are you going to proceed to aikido now that you've experienced tsun? Or maybe you'll believe people next time

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 4:34pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by default
    are you going to proceed to aikido now that you've experienced tsun? Or maybe you'll believe people next time
    First he's got to test out all the other WT schools around, pay the fee again and again and only after that can he truly realize what he went through... Aikido can wait.

Seriously though, hairy, would you mind starting a thread elsewhere and discuss in more depth why you did this and how come you stayed for 6 months, etc...?

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 5:08pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good review. Sounds worse than my old Wing Chun place.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2008 3:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba
    First he's got to test out all the other WT schools around, pay the fee again and again and only after that can he truly realize what he went through... Aikido can wait.

Seriously though, hairy, would you mind starting a thread elsewhere and discuss in more depth why you did this and how come you stayed for 6 months, etc...?
    To be honest, I don't really know why I stayed that long in that class. I guess I did not realise how bad it was till I lurked more in Bullshido forums and started training in real MAs. Kinda same way Karate/TKD mcdojo practisioners stay loyal to their dojo as did I.

I refused to believe all the **** talking about Wing Chun at first because all criticism came from posters who acted like little kids "lol teh D3aDly". But after reading thread after thread with claims of Wing Chun's effectiveness, and the "science" behind it, with no video evidence to back it up, I now see why posters acted that way.

Anyways, I thank Bullshido for helping me see the light, and helping me walk away from a bullshit school, a breeding ground for false sense of confidence and security.

Weak

Posted On:
    7/04/2008 5:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *slaps face* hairy, please come to the TD.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2008 6:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    *slaps face* hairy, please come to the TD.
    You don't want me to unleash teh chun!

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    7/04/2008 6:07am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hairy
    You don't want me to unleash teh chun!
    While it's nice of you to (partially)answer my question, I'd like to remind you that I specifically asked you to open a separate thread OUTSIDE of the school review section - this place should be for school-related reviews and comments only.

Try Newbietown or YMAS if you feel like it, or to keep the noise down a bit, the Chinese Martial Arts subforum - I'm sure there's more to discuss in your 6 months of -un...

Thanx.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/04/2008 9:16am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This whole thread sounds fishy.

He joined the school because we heard people here shitting on Wing Chun? What a fucked up experiment.

He lost 6 months of his life and how much money???...and all he has to show for it is this shitty thread.

What a doucehbag.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 9:46pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So every single wing chun in the world sucks? Im actually curious in trying wing chun too, but im new to this forum, and all the anti wing chun stuff too.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast