Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 7:22pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wrestling shoe recommendations.

I haven't really worn wrestling shoes since about... oh... 2002, when I stopped because kicking with them was considered a no-no. Anyway, I play Judo now, and recently took up freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling. I'm really enjoying it, and currently do two hours a session, twice per week. I have found it's helped my judo immensely, and intend to stay with both sports indefinitely.

Anyway, I'm thoroughly accustomed to playing with bare feet on the mat, and it's never been a problem, but I'm beginning to find that my toes are copping a beating. About 90% of the guys in wrestling wear wrestling shoes, so I've decided to get a pair as well.

Anyway, I asked the guys at the club for tips, and most of them have bought their shoes while wrestling overseas. It's actually surprisingly difficult to find decent wrestling shoes here in Aus, as the sport is not as common here as elsewhere.

I did manage to find a supplier nearby, however, but before I lash out the money, I was wondering if anyone here could make a recommendation, or indicate what I should be looking for in terms of a wrestling shoe?

The cheapest one I've been able to find thus far is:
    Quote Originally Posted by the Supplier
    ASICS Mens Matflex

The Matflex is an entry level wrestling shoe featuring gum rubber outsole and a traditional ASICS image.

It seems to be a decent, if not great show that will serve my purposes well at a reasonable price.

I also like the fact that they aren't particularly garish, unlike, say:
    Quote Originally Posted by the Supplier
    ASICS Mens Dan Gable Ultimate

Named after legendary American Wrestler Dan Gable, this sleek shoe was designed with perfomance in mind. Features include a special outsole which wraps around the upper for extra grip on the matt. This also is an ideal shoe for martial artists and boxers alike.

So... Any advice, suggestions, or useful information in regards to selecting an appropriate shoe.
    Last edited by Deadmeat; 6/20/2008 5:49pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 8:19pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    toughest thing I've noticed is finding wide shoes. Nobody manufactures wides, as far as i can tell, but asics seem to be much wider than nike

I ordered from some website...maybe midwest sports. I paid around $30.

Judo guys, at least the ones I know, are very hard headed about shoes. Personally, I believe sambo shoes would work great for judo (as you prob know, sambo shoes don't have a sole like wrestling shoes). I have seen debilitating toe breaks that I believe would not have happened with shoes. But my judokas would say: No way. Shoes are for pussies. Or. No way. That's not traditional. whaddya gonna do.

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 9:04pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sambo shoes. That's an awesome idea. Thanks mate. I will look into it further.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 1:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like my nike's. They don't have arch support (I'm flat footed) and they were pretty cheap: $36 on sale.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 1:39am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also just started taking some wrestling this summer and need some shoe advice, too. What price/quality range should I buy at if I practice wrestling twice a week at most. Also, are split sole shoes more comfortable than regular sole shoes?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 2:12am

Style: Crappling (BJJ Hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are the pros & cons of wearing shoes? (wrestling shoes, duh)

*edit, nevermind, I just used the search function :) *
    Last edited by KayRoc; 6/20/2008 2:19am at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 9:10am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got both a pair of Adidas Mat Hogs and a pair of ASICS (bot gotten for less than $50.) Decent shoes.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 3:48pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've also heard wearing Sambo shoes is better for grappling than wrestling shoes because the soles are leather and don't grip the mat as hard as rubber soled wrestling shoes – which could put a lot of torque on the knees and ankles if one spins quickly to do shoulder and hip throws. Any recommendations on Sambo shoes?

One of Seattle's Bravest

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 12:03am

Style: Cambo/jujutsu/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are interested in Sombo shoes contact myself or SamboSteve.

Aaron Fields

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 12:10am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would recomend going and trying on the shoes you like, then buying them online from the States. With the dollar nearly one for one you can get them much cheaper, even with shipping.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast