Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 2:29am

Style: JKD and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a woman, actually, and the dojo is run as a non-profit coop. It's actually been in my neighborhood for years, and recently moved down the road. The old dojo is now an MMA gym.

So yeah, I have no disrespect for them. I just can't really understand the motivation they have for doing Aikido for 20+ years if it is useless for fighting.

this is their website:
    http://shugyo.com/

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 2:37am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a newbie Aikidoka, I have formed this impression of the art. Early Aikido, as an offshoot of Diato Ryu Aiki ju jutsu was an effective art. You can still get training in this, look at clubs that do Iwama Aikido or similar. Later Aikido, and the vast majority of current Aikido taught is some happy clappy crap and utterly utterly useless. Also, even though early Aikido may be effective, it takes some time to become effective, where as for example Judo is more effective much more quickly.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 2:43am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I more or less believe that the vast majority of the offshoots of Jujitsu and their spawn are all antiquated, and only in rare cases have sparring added later.

The stuff that works became Judo, and Karate came from Okinawa. Don't ask me where Kempo came from.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 2:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty
    As a newbie Aikidoka, I have formed this impression of the art. Early Aikido, as an offshoot of Diato Ryu Aiki ju jutsu was an effective art. You can still get training in this, look at clubs that do Iwama Aikido or similar. Later Aikido, and the vast majority of current Aikido taught is some happy clappy crap and utterly utterly useless. Also, even though early Aikido may be effective, it takes some time to become effective, where as for example Judo is more effective much more quickly.
    Yeah, I have a documentary somewhere, that shows different martial arts in Japan and it shows different "branches" of Aikido. The stuff that they were doing is definitely different then what you see middle age professionals on youtube demonstrating with compliant uke. These people were fully resisting and also did full speed and full resistance knife disarming (with a wood fake knife).

But from what I have seen in Toronto, that is not the kind of training available in the dojos here. And if cross training is discouraged, you can't even get what's good out of the crappy Aikido and apply it to your arsenal.

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 3:40am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So Krav Maga sucks too!! I thought it was good. Anyways, I think that a fully fledged Aikidoka can compete against an advanced Salsa or Tango dancer and we can still call it a 'fair fight'. You know, in Salsa when you twist you need to use the elbow and sometimes that results in a 'blue-eye' to the lady who is usually at a shoulder level. On some scale, I guess that Salsa and Tango are still more aggressive than Aikido.

If I wanted to learn some spiritual fighting and great theoretical concepts, I could listen to Larry King talk show, I guess.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 3:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a feeling some dancers would kick a lot of Krotty and aikido sensie's asses simply base on the fact they are in better shape.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 3:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's easy to teach a ballerina a guard game.

...I did it once. Good times.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 5:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido makes you a better person and have a better life.

The MA aspect is just the training vehicle.

Once people see the nonsense of trying to be a bad-ass-mf-MMA-killer type of person they may be open for the enlightenment of Aikido.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 5:42am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikiDept
    Aikido makes you a better person and have a better life.

The MA aspect is just the training vehicle.

Once people see the nonsense of trying to be a bad-ass-mf-MMA-killer type of person they may be open for the enlightenment of Aikido.
    Aikido makes you an unenlightened Sinophile dupe. I can almost guarantee you that 99% of Aikido teachers, organisations and lore all consider it to be a 'martial art'. Anyone claiming otherwise is a tiny minority.

You'll be a better person by taking kickboxing and getting fit through hard work and dedication than you will taking Aikido and doing half-assed flips.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 6:26am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's not what I conclude from Aikidoka and Kickboxers.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast