Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 3:15pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I don't like the idea of forgetting takedowns and position. These are integral parts of grappling and move us further away from applicability in real fights.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 4:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Personally I don't like the idea of forgetting takedowns and position. These are integral parts of grappling and move us further away from applicability in real fights.
    I'm of the opposite belief in that because such high priority has been placed on takedowns and positional control that the submissions have been lost in the draw. I do feel you are correct that these aspects are important and applicable in a real fight however, being able to finish effectively and decisively is equally if no more so important in a real fight.

Trust me, I understand the idea of submission only tournaments producing a bunch of guard flopping butt scooters who pull guard and go for subs instead of trying for takedowns and dominate positions. The thing is, point tournaments already produce those anyway. Just as submission tournaments have hulking wrestlers with great takedowns and positional control trying to Keylock you inside your own guard.

I think anyone whose truly put the effort into learning the submission game knows that in order to apply your submissions effectively, takedowns and "dominant" positional control are keys to the success of your subs.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 6:12pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just this weekend I saw a wrestler hold down a jiujitsu guy for 4 minutes without an attempt at a submission, and win. Both extremes are lame. But it'd be nice to tip the balance in the other direction.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 2:01am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    Just this weekend I saw a wrestler hold down a jiujitsu guy for 4 minutes without an attempt at a submission, and win. Both extremes are lame. But it'd be nice to tip the balance in the other direction.
    Agreeing on a ruleset that would allow for a good balance of both applications may be hard. I guess having an equal number of both tournament types would be the another option. You can then look at the results and see who have the submission skills, takedown/position skills, and/or both. Hell, if you could do it all at one tournament that would be great. It would also be a better learning experience for the fighter to know where he/she is excelling at and what they need to work on.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 7:53am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/VT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    USGrappling put on a tournament like this once called Submissions Only. I'd LOVE to compete in one of those.

submssion only Video by S is for 'Snake' - MySpace Video@@AMEPARAM@@http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=31021321@@AMEPARAM@@mediaservices@@AMEPARAM@@mys pace@@AMEPARAM@@services/media/embed@@AMEPARAM@@aspx/m@@AMEPARAM@@31021321

I've only heard positive feedback about the event they had in Winchester. They're planning on holding another Sub only tournament in Winchester on November 11th.
    Last edited by Lendo; 6/24/2008 3:35pm at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12