Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 1:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stun Gun training systems?

Found an interesting history of stun guns and similar electrical self defense weapons - http://martialhistory.com/2008/03/re...d-zap-someone/ . Apparently there was a patent application for a "stun glove" dating back to 1912 ...

This got me thinking about modern stun guns and particularly about the training, or lack of training, touted for them. Google searches unearth advice such as "just buy a stun gun, it works better than martial arts", etc.

From what I've seen of stun guns, the first thing that happens when someone gets zapped is that they violently jerk away from the pain, and immediately experience a strong adrenaline rush ... not the reaction you want from an already dangerous aggressor. On that basis, I'm looking for close-quarters combat systems that integrate effective unarmed combat with the use of the stun gun itself, but I'm not finding much out there.

What I would have expected to find is a training system designed to protect the defender in the first instance and then to control the attacker to the point where the stun gun can actually be applied long enough to incapacitate them, rather than just randomly hurting them with a split-second zap. Is there anything like this out there? If not, why not?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 4:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No comments? IMO the "just zap 'em" mentality is dangerously naive, whereas a solid hand to hand combat system backing up the use of a stun gun makes good sense ...