Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 3:32pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    Maybe they're really lazy Brazilians (lazier than your average Brazilian) and they don't want to have to learn a new language.
    Portuguese people, not Brazilians. But anyway, most parts of Europe speak English, and as I said England is an option too

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 9:15am

Style: Heal-Jitsu..yet again :-(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raging Monkey
    Please feel free to move this to a better forum if this is not the right spot...

So my school is setting up a day of privates with Andre Galvao later this month, but the cost seems to be a bit high. He is charging $150 an hour.

So he is coming in for a day, everyone signed up takes privates and then he heads back to his hotel and that is that. Is this common in the BJJ world? It seems odd to me to go take a private lesson from someone who I don't know, who doesn't know me or my game, etc...

Thoughts on any of this? (Other than the fact I am a noob.)
    Raging Monkey - you and i go to the same school, me thinks. jeffgordonmma, right? cause i know that Jeff set Galvao up with another seminar at another school. I was actually about to post something about this seminar....
    jeffgordonmma.com - if anyone is interested in attending the seminar at my school - it's this thursday from 8 PM- 10 PM and costs $75.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 10:48am

Style: BJJ, JJJ and JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I am over at Crazy 88 BJJ in Elkridge, MD.

Makes sense though that he is here doing a sweep of the local schools... shame there isn't a weekend seminar deal happening I know about. Can't swing the Thursday night thing myself but I will pass the info on to the guys at my school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 7:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope - no weekend seminar. Just the one on Thurs night at my school. My school's owner is flying him in and i think Galvao is leaving fri night or sat morning

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 8:41am

Style: BJJ, JJJ and JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I know he is at least sticking around until Saturday night because we have a block of privates at our gym with him during the day on Sat.

Have a good seminar with him!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 10:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh..i wont be attending the seminar :-(
    i'll be in my boxing class. I have boxing from 7:30-8:30 pm and level 3/4 krav maga from 8:30 - 9:30...and then i'm going to go see ZOHAN! Yes!
    i know it is prob in my best interest not to pass up this seminar but
    1 - i hate the funny white pijama and just really have no clue where mine is.
    2 - i'm a striker, not a snuggler. I dont miss my boxing class for anything in the world.

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 7:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian JiuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He came to our school, and only charged $65 ea. for a large group. He came around to everyone and individually helped . He taught about 7 moves. If I came away knowing 3 of them, I would be stoked. I ended up remembering only 2, so I am satisfied. He was a super nice, friendly, and funny guy. I thought it was worth it.
    Here's a good video where he schools some other blackbelt.
    http://my.break.com/content/view.aspx?ContentID=517207

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 7:54pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    Well, you also have to remember, 150.00 U.S.D. is about 96.07 Euros so you are still better off then us I suppose...lol!

So, if you don't mind, please describe the training opportunity you have going on that allows you to pay 35 (I'm assuming Euros, 54.65 U.S.D.). Who do you train with? What are the class times and schedules like, etc? It would make for a good reference as the levels of training people get in different parts of the world as well as the prices paid for that training.
    I'll try and make it short:

I pay 35euros(55,11 Dollars) per month and have classes all the days of the week, from Monday to Friday. The schedule goes like this:

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday from 9am to 11.30am, you're free to stay after this as long as you clean up after you and close the door. We normally try stuff that we see in Youtube(lol) or drill the basics! These classes are always done by a black belt, our instructor.

Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8pm to 10pm, you're not so free to stay after, because we have a couple of ladies that come and clean the space and they don't want to leave the gym late, so you're off to the showers after practice and then going home, because most of us have a day job or school to go to.

We are a new school and fwe are pretty small, 10 to 15 students in a excelent day, but since my teacher is well known for his technique, we have people from all schools coming to to train with us...sort of a fine tune for them! No drama...open door, some dont even pay for it, they just show us different games and prevent us from inbreeding sometime!

We have two browns, four purples, 6 blues and 4 white belts at the moment and we all give a hand to eachother. Because we have excelent relationships with other schools, we even manage to go and train in their gym from time to time! Feel free to ask me more

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 8:10pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poo-Jitsu
    I was curious as to the reason for this and apparently, Portugal has the highest poverty rate in the EU, and has an adjusted median income level that is about 1/4 of the US, so it makes sense that they're leaving for better opportunity.
    No, what I'm saying is that brazilian instructors are leaving Brazil, not Portugal. If you read a couple of brazilian magazine about bjj you see that there's an exodus of fighters to the States in pursuit of the american dream, with japan as second choice. It's so easy to find a bjj black belt in Brazil that you would laugh if you knew...since the majority don't make money of it, they end up doing something else, from bus drivers to garbage men and without sponsorship you don't compete and if you don't compete you don't win and get sponsorship. So eventually only the sponsered ones get the credit and ride the fame all the way to the US, where you can charge whatever you want if you're famous.

We have a HUGE wave of brazilian imigration to our country, not because of our income level, which is higher then the brazilian by far(I think), but simply because we share the same language, since we were the ones that colonized their asses. But since there's an economic crisis in our country, some of them are risking the jump to the UK, France, Spain and even Italy, after the mighty euro!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123