Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Bassline to the Mainline

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 11:48pm

Style: JamBoxer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raging Monkey
    Please feel free to move this to a better forum if this is not the right spot...

So my school is setting up a day of privates with Andre Galvao later this month, but the cost seems to be a bit high. He is charging $150 an hour.

So he is coming in for a day, everyone signed up takes privates and then he heads back to his hotel and that is that. Is this common in the BJJ world? It seems odd to me to go take a private lesson from someone who I don't know, who doesn't know me or my game, etc...

Thoughts on any of this? (Other than the fact I am a noob.)
    Galvao and Telles have been training at my gym for the last few weeks for free due to be ex students of my teacher. Pay the money and you will def. learn some cool and technical stuff. Oh and they are 2 of the nicest guys Ive ever had the pleasure to come in contact with. Also, these dudes dont exactly make American pro athlete level money. They have families just like you and I and could use the support. Trust me all questions asked will be answered and you may just make a friend. They are amazing practitioners and you will enjoy yourself.

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 6:15pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KayRoc
    God damn. Does that come with a happy ending? Will he cuddle afterwards? Seems fuckin steep.
    Seems steep to me too, but I guess they'll charge whatever the market will bear.
    El sueno de la razon produce monstruos.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 9:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bah. That's nothing.

It's well known that Randy Couture charges $1000+ for an hour private.

$150 for an hour from one of the top guys in the world is a steal IMO.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 1:56am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Steep, quite a bit. Depends on your income level.

The problem I see, and that I've had with working with people one-on-one is the fact that sometimes, when instructing, it's good to be a part of the technique application but at the same time, outside of the technique application. One good approach that I think helps more than just a one-on-one private would be a semi-private with three students. The instructor can use all three students for demonstration purposes and when it comes time to perform the technique, one student can perform it, the other can have it performed on them, and the third watches. This works because:

1) You learn the technique from an offensive prospective (1st or 2nd P.O.V. depending on the technique)

2) You learn the technique from a defensive prospective (1st or 2nd P.O.V. depending on the technique)

3) You learn the technique from a outside non-participating viewpoint (3rd person P.O.V.)

You learn the move by doing the require repetitions, you get a feel for what it's like to have the move applied to you having someone else perform the required repetitions, and you get to see the move in action without being involved in the move; which allows you to look at both the action and reactions of the move itself. Think of it similar to a crime of assault.n The attacker has one viewpoint, the victim another, and a 3rd party observer may see it in a totally different manner.

With this type of scenario (and you can purchase more time, say two hours if you feel one hour isn't enough) you can be in the shoes of the attacker, the victim, and the 3rd party observer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 12:16pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try charging 150euros/hr for private instruction in Portugal and no one will show up, I garantee you! It just makes me apreciate my 35$/month, 12hr a week instruction, plus open mat that much more! No wonder every brazilian instruction and their cousin is moving to the States trying to cash on the bjj/mma fever.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 2:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokujin
    Try charging 150euros/hr for private instruction in Portugal and no one will show up, I garantee you! It just makes me apreciate my 35$/month, 12hr a week instruction, plus open mat that much more! No wonder every brazilian instruction and their cousin is moving to the States trying to cash on the bjj/mma fever.
    Well, you also have to remember, 150.00 U.S.D. is about 96.07 Euros so you are still better off then us I suppose...lol!

So, if you don't mind, please describe the training opportunity you have going on that allows you to pay 35 (I'm assuming Euros, 54.65 U.S.D.). Who do you train with? What are the class times and schedules like, etc? It would make for a good reference as the levels of training people get in different parts of the world as well as the prices paid for that training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 9:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokujin
    I was curious as to the reason for this and apparently, Portugal has the highest poverty rate in the EU, and has an adjusted median income level that is about 1/4 of the US, so it makes sense that they're leaving for better opportunity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 10:44am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not move to somewhere else in Europe though? The dollar is worth nothing right now, they might be better off moving to somewhere like England where MMA is also popular.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 12:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe they're really lazy Brazilians (lazier than your average Brazilian) and they don't want to have to learn a new language.

Posted On:
    6/23/2008 1:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm surprised that there is no seminar offered. It seems strange that he would fly in, do private lessons and fly out. The private lessons would barely cover his plane fare.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast