Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 10:32pm

Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7thSamurai
    I'm assuming this is your thinly veiled attempt at sarcasm.
    the affirmative action bit should have given it away. If some one can lose weight, and compete at a lower weight class then what they weigh when they are not competing, im all for it. i walk around at 185 - 195. and compete at 167. i do this because i can. and because at 190 i am like 13% body fat, which i conisder fat. should i have to diet all year to compete at 167? 167 is what i feel best at, but dont feel like maintaining that weight. saying people should not be able to cut weight is just daft. I think it mainly comes from people who find cutting weight hard, so they frown on it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 11:17pm

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently I missed something. Maybe you can clue me in.

If you're dropping weight to make weight the day before a fight, then shooting back up via water weight or whatever the day of the fight while the other person is truly fighting within their weight range, how is that fair? By that reasoning, everyone will have to fight below their actual weight. Why not fight someone who is 185-190.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't be able to cut weight, I'm just saying that the advantage you have by gaining some weight back over a person who is truly within their weight class isn't really making for a evenly matched fight.

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 12:39am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is fair only if everyone cuts the same percentage in the same manner. Unfortunately this is not how the fight world works and you often see a fight where one man uses much superior size and strength to bully the other guy around the ring.

But, as people have mentioned there are some good reasons they do this:

1) by allowing weight cutting you can have more possible fights between people of different weight classes. (read: $)
    2) less canceled fights due to someone not making weight (read: $)
    3) less idiots dieing of dehydration or having bad fights, causing negative publicity and angry fans (read: $)

It has gotten pretty ridiculous, even in amateur boxing/MT where it should only be about testing ones skills i don't really know anyone who doesn't cut at least 10 pounds for their fights. The negative effects are pretty dam obvious, i suggest you stay the hell away from a fighter in the month he/she is having to cut :P.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 5:36am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    last bjj comp I was at, everybody weighed in directly before their bouts, I know its not the same as mma, but it would be interesting to see how guys would fair at the weight they walk around t

note: not suggesting we get rid of weight cutting or anything, just think it would be interesting

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 6:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    it's simple. it sucks to be the smaller guy in a fight, so if the other guy is going to cut weight and drop a weight class, you want to as well.
    doesn't make a great deal of difference what i way in at im short and stocky so im almost guaranteed to be the smaller guy for my weight.

and weight cutting is all well and good when the weight categories are fixed. i've been to a number of sanshou competitions where i'v maintained a good weight only to have my category merged with the one above it, which in my opinion is utter bollocks and shouldn't happen. that being said i was always more powerful than the heavier guys but their reach is just a little bit annoying.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 7:14am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would typically cut 20 pounds to fight. But I'd do it over 3 months. I hate sitting in the sauna.

When I wrestled, I fought at about 5 pounds under my walking weight. It made life easier. For judo i usually competed in several wright classes and divisions, so it never mattered.

For boxing, I was heavyweight anyway so who cares?

I think weight cutting is bad for the sport; but it is a de facto necessity because fighters always want an edge. If they moved weight-ins to the day of the fight, there would be a certain percentage of morons who would come to the fight far too dehydrated.

In high school wrestling, they would check your weight at the beginning of the season, and take a piss test to determine if you were dehydrated. If you were sufficiently hydrated, your weight was recorded and you were only allowed to drop one class that season. If you were dehydrated for the initial weigh-in, you could not register until you were hydrated.

It was a good system.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 1:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7thSamurai
    Apparently I missed something. Maybe you can clue me in.

If you're dropping weight to make weight the day before a fight, then shooting back up via water weight or whatever the day of the fight while the other person is truly fighting within their weight range, how is that fair? By that reasoning, everyone will have to fight below their actual weight. Why not fight someone who is 185-190.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't be able to cut weight, I'm just saying that the advantage you have by gaining some weight back over a person who is truly within their weight class isn't really making for a evenly matched fight.
    I am good with the weigh ins just prior to the comp. In BJJ we usually weigh in 1 minute prior to comp, thats fine with me. if weigh ins are the day before, i can cut 25lbs, if weigh ins are right before the comp, i am good for about 20. its a strengh advantage, not weight. and 20lbs is not that big of a deal in grappling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 1:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus
    last bjj comp I was at, everybody weighed in directly before their bouts, I know its not the same as mma, but it would be interesting to see how guys would fair at the weight they walk around t

note: not suggesting we get rid of weight cutting or anything, just think it would be interesting
    This just means we cut weigh properly, its in no way the wieght people walk around at. after your first match, you drink some gatorade and eat some peanut butter, all set.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 10:27pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by benonmsn
    I am good with the weigh ins just prior to the comp. In BJJ we usually weigh in 1 minute prior to comp, thats fine with me. if weigh ins are the day before, i can cut 25lbs, if weigh ins are right before the comp, i am good for about 20. its a strengh advantage, not weight. and 20lbs is not that big of a deal in grappling
    This made me chuckle. At a high level of competition 20 lbs is a monstrous deal that cannot be overcome without a huge disparity in skill level. That's completely the reason for weight classes and why people cut.

I think day of weigh ins would be a good medium measure. Guys could still cut a lot but not to the extreme they do now. It will be impossible to completely eliminate weight cutting but moving the weigh ins closer the fighter would decrease it though likely cause some problems with the product due to dehydrated fighters, guys missing weight, etc.

Man cutting sucked. I used to do about 15-20 pounds and the scale was my enemy. Judo weigh ins are the day of and I used to feel that most of the battle was done once I made weight.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    6/29/2008 10:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i was always up for dropping fat but i hated the idea of dehydrating myselfin muay thai but when i started boxing i met guys who would actually stay up and skip through the night in a last attemp to shift some weight.. of course this made them **** and weak for their fight the next day (just in case some people wernt aware ABA boxers weigh in on the day).

they definitely wouldv done better if they'd cut weight healthily or fought at a stronger weight for them
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast