Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 12:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While it's true that top fighters cut ridiculous amounts of weight they will probably tell you it's worth it. Rich Franklin, who walks around at about 210 or more but fights at Middleweight, has said that he thinks it's reasonable because he's only doing it three or four times a year.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 12:56pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McScary
    I never said any of them had more weight classes.
    Okay

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McScary
    it defeats the purpose of having so many weight classes IMO.
    Whatever though, this is a waste of both of our time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2008 8:39pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Whatever though, this is a waste of both of our time.
    Agreed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 10:57am

Style: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd love to fight at 155 knowing that most of my opponents would be tired/dehydrated out of their minds 170ish pounders, I'm all for weighing right before the fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 11:23am

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    3 hours is not even close to enough time to rehydrate completely unless that person is taking an IV drip. Also, the cutting is not just water. It involves limiting carb intake over a long period of time as well. Fighters generally don't cut 15 lbs of fluid overnight. It's a matter of cutting your carbs to drop fat as well. A good cut involves setting and meeting weight goals leading up to the fight. The hope is that a fighter has maybe 5 lbs left to cut the day before the weigh-in. Then, they drop that in water weight. After making weight they rehydrate AND replenish calories and carbs so they have the energy to fight the next day. They then do this by eating every 3 hours or so leading up to the fight. Of course they combine this with lots of water and electrolyte heavy drinks. This can lead to putting back on as much as 15 lbs overnight. Yes, they aren't at their weight anymore, but everyone does it so it evens out for the the most part.
    I'm asking because I honestly don't understand.

So say there is a fighter who trains to be a professional fighter and weighs in at 190lbs as his top-of-his-game, fit-bastard walking around weight. His opponent, also a professional fighter, weighs considerably more when he's training, but makes weight the day before. After weigh in, this person adds his normal training weight back and now weighs 15-20lbs (or more, I dunno) when he steps into the ring. Does that not give the heavier fighter more of an advantage.

It would just seem that if the fighters were forced to compete at their daily weight and not their slim-fast diet weight, that things would be more even in the ring.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 11:29am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes he would have an advantage, and that's why the 190 guy would probably cut to the next weight class down. So, yes the guys coming in to the cage/ring weigh significantly more thean their weigh-in weight, but it's pretty universal. So the weights are pretty even anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 5:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the explanation. I went to look at the weight classifications and it seems that 190 (according to the all-knowing Wikipedia) is right near the end of the weight classifications listed there.

I believe that it would be a better representation of a fighters' ability if they were kept within certain limits. If I step on a scale on a Friday at one weight the next day, I should weigh within a few lbs of that amount. If the gent that steps on at the proper weight on a Friday comes in the next day at 15-20lbs heavier the next, he's no longer fighting in his division, right? If a person decides not to cut weight and instead goes at it at his everyday weight, it would seem like he'd be the true whatever-weight stepping in the ring. It seems a bit on the shady to have fighters drop down to meet weight only to put it all back on fight day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 5:23pm

Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7thSamurai
    . It seems a bit on the shady to have fighters drop down to meet weight only to put it all back on fight day.
    Right. Because no one wants an advantage over anyone else, especially if it is allowed.

We should probably have people run timed laps, and weight lifting first, so put everyone is the same bracket. Simply weighing the same as some one else 24 hours prior to competition is not enough. Also, handicapped people should be able to compete, and their opponents should have to fight with the same ailment they have.

Affirmative action is also great

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 7:20pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the problems, then becomes how much weight is too much weight to cut. Not everyone is cutting and coming in at the same weight. Rich Franklin and GSP are two good examples of people cutting down two weight classes. Rich cuts from 210+ to 185. You cut from 190-195 to 185. Ouch. So then it's suggested that you have to just suck it up and cut to 170. That's a 20-25 pound cut, another ouch. It's one thing to keep up with training but now fighters have to keep up with weight cutting. First, it's cutting down one weight class, now many people cut down two weight classes. What happens when people figure out how to cut down 3 weight classes, everyone else would have to continue to keep up with that just to stay competitive. Crazy.

***NOTE***

I actually agree with natural heavyweights cutting to 205 as the 206-265 heavyweight weight class is too much of an all encompassing weight class for someone 215-220 to be fighting at (see Brandon Vera for example). However, cutting from 215-220 to 185 is just to brutal of a cut. Only the hardcore can do that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 8:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by benonmsn
    Right. Because no one wants an advantage over anyone else, especially if it is allowed.

We should probably have people run timed laps, and weight lifting first, so put everyone is the same bracket. Simply weighing the same as some one else 24 hours prior to competition is not enough. Also, handicapped people should be able to compete, and their opponents should have to fight with the same ailment they have.

Affirmative action is also great
    I'm assuming this is your thinly veiled attempt at sarcasm.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast