Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 6:59am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weight Cutting is ridiculous...but...you can see why fighters do it.

When i first started training at London shootfighters I was suprised just how big some of the Middleweights and Welterweights actually are.

I walk around at about 205-210lbs and I always thought I'd fight at Lightheavy but looking at the size of most Middleweights these days that would probably be more sensible.

Old School DM

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 8:08am

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can someone who knows something about the fight game explain why weight-cutting exists at all? I don't exactly understand the whole process.

If a fight is supposed to be at 175, what is the point of training at a higher weight, then drastically cutting for the day before? And then, presumably, putting some back on before the fight the next day? Is there an advantage to training heavier?

I don't get it, but I'm not a fighter.
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 9:01am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grashnak
    Can someone who knows something about the fight game explain why weight-cutting exists at all? I don't exactly understand the whole process.

If a fight is supposed to be at 175, what is the point of training at a higher weight, then drastically cutting for the day before? And then, presumably, putting some back on before the fight the next day? Is there an advantage to training heavier?

I don't get it, but I'm not a fighter.
    it's simple. it sucks to be the smaller guy in a fight, so if the other guy is going to cut weight and drop a weight class, you want to as well.

there are ways to do so that don't leave you totally drained (hint: they don't involve sweating out 25lbs of water overnight)

of course it would be better for everyone if no one cut weight through dehydration, but again, as long as the competition is doing it, you have to as well to remain competitive.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 9:55am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McScary
    True, there are not a ton of weight classes in places like the UFC. That being said, many of the fighters fight at about two weight classes lower than what they actually walk at. It is also pretty telling that there are several guys who have fought in as many as three different weight classes all within a fairly short period of time.
    You do understand that the weight classes are pretty much standardized and that the UFC system is the de facto dominant one?

In other words, as in the UFC so in the rest of MMA.
    Put otherwise, there aren't many weight classes anywhere and you're stupid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 10:50am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr
    Wouldn't cutting too much weight go away after a while? Guys who are naturally in the weight class or very close to it would just continue to beat the crap out of too dehydrated guys until they learn.
    This.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 12:58pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    You do understand that the weight classes are pretty much standardized and that the UFC system is the de facto dominant one?

In other words, as in the UFC so in the rest of MMA.
    Put otherwise, there aren't many weight classes anywhere and you're stupid.
    Well, that wasn't the point of my post, especially considering that I said "places like the UFC" not "The UFC and ONLY the UFC". But just to prove to you that I'm not stupid: almost every, if not all, Japanese based MMA promotions (Pride, Shooto, Dream, K1 Heros, etc.) use different weight class system than the UFC. Pride not only had less weight classes, but they were much more liberal about fighters fighting above and below their walking weights without endangering their fighters health by forcing them to bulk way up or cut weight way down. Even in the United States, EliteXC has a slightly different weight class system than the UFC does.

So, while you are correct in saying that many US based MMA promotions abide by the NJSAC Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts (a fact that I never doubted to begin with), it is inaccurate to say that "as in the UFC so in the rest of MMA."

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 3:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Question: Does those other organizations generally have more weight classes?
    Answer: No
    Question: What the **** are you talking about then?
    Answer: Not a goddamn thing

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 4:18pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    That was utter comedic genius.

+1

Now that we have that out of the way. I read an article where the New Jersey Athletic Commission set into motion new rules about weight ins. Basically for championship fights, you will have to weigh in a month prior and each week leading up to the fight. Naturally, this just means that those who cut weight will have to cut regularly. Then again, the trauma to the body may force most to just diet correctly during that time and stay at a reasonable weight instead of cutting 10-20 pounds of water weight and then gaining it back.
    I'm actually surprised that high school/amateur wrestling hasn't started doing this. It just makes too much sense to keep kids from cutting too drastically.

My brother was a football player and wrestler. In football season, he walked around at around 190. In the following wrestling season, he wrestled at 160. It was brutal on him, and probably hurt his chances to play college football. He couldn't bulk up as much as he needed to, which would invariably hurt him the following football season, and he still had to cut drastically.

Finally his senior season he told his coach that he refused to cut. He wrestled at 189, and it was by far his best year. Having talked to him about it, he was quite emphatic that if you had to cut more than a few pounds, and were weighing in the same day, then it probably wasn't worth it. Particularly for tournaments, he'd just gas out after the first or second match.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 10:35pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Question: Does those other organizations generally have more weight classes?
    Answer: No
    Question: What the **** are you talking about then?
    Answer: Not a goddamn thing
    I never said any of them had more weight classes. I was just pointing out how some of them were different after you said the everyone else had the exact same weightclass structure as the UFC. When I said that there wasn't a very many weight classes in the UFC, I was commenting how some people feel that the UFC needs more weight classes (a la boxing) to make it easier for smaller guys in a weight class to drop down without fear of not making weight. Even though there are only five UFC weight classes, many guys cut as much as two weight classes down from their walking weight, and a few have fought in as many as three different classes. If there were more weight classes like say, seven, then cutting weight down a class or two would not be that be of a deal because as there would be less space between classes and less weight to cut. I don't have a strong opinion either way in terms of the number of weight classes, though I do feel that it is a little ridiculous the amount of weight that top fighters cut these days just to stay competative in a certain weight class.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 11:59pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn
    the one time i fought ametuer mma (and the one time i was supposed to fight and the other guy didnt show) the weigh ins were the day of, about 3 hours before the fights started. it was plenty of time to get rehydrated, and alot more time than they gave us in high school wrestling (an hour, maybe more if it wasn't organized). I think if that happened the weight cuts would be much less extreme simply because you would have less time to recover, you simply cannot put 15lb of fluids back in your system in that short a time
    3 hours is not even close to enough time to rehydrate completely unless that person is taking an IV drip. Also, the cutting is not just water. It involves limiting carb intake over a long period of time as well. Fighters generally don't cut 15 lbs of fluid overnight. It's a matter of cutting your carbs to drop fat as well. A good cut involves setting and meeting weight goals leading up to the fight. The hope is that a fighter has maybe 5 lbs left to cut the day before the weigh-in. Then, they drop that in water weight. After making weight they rehydrate AND replenish calories and carbs so they have the energy to fight the next day. They then do this by eating every 3 hours or so leading up to the fight. Of course they combine this with lots of water and electrolyte heavy drinks. This can lead to putting back on as much as 15 lbs overnight. Yes, they aren't at their weight anymore, but everyone does it so it evens out for the the most part.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast