Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 12:46pm

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the one time i fought ametuer mma (and the one time i was supposed to fight and the other guy didnt show) the weigh ins were the day of, about 3 hours before the fights started. it was plenty of time to get rehydrated, and alot more time than they gave us in high school wrestling (an hour, maybe more if it wasn't organized). I think if that happened the weight cuts would be much less extreme simply because you would have less time to recover, you simply cannot put 15lb of fluids back in your system in that short a time

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 1:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "why dont weigh ins?"

This is not a question. This is a grammatical travesty, a Peter North-esque pop shot on the rosy countenance of the English language.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 6:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Miracleman
    "why dont weigh ins?"

This is not a question. This is a grammatical travesty, a Peter North-esque pop shot on the rosy countenance of the English language.
    That was utter comedic genius.

+1

Now that we have that out of the way. I read an article where the New Jersey Athletic Commission set into motion new rules about weight ins. Basically for championship fights, you will have to weigh in a month prior and each week leading up to the fight. Naturally, this just means that those who cut weight will have to cut regularly. Then again, the trauma to the body may force most to just diet correctly during that time and stay at a reasonable weight instead of cutting 10-20 pounds of water weight and then gaining it back.

It's one of those weird things. I can understand being 5-10 pounds away from a weight division (considering that the weight classes from 155 and up have a 15 pound weight spread) and cutting down but a lot of these guys are cutting past two weight classes.

GSP said in an interview after his second fight with Matt Hughes that he cut 20 pounds for that fight. That would put him at 190. If he shed 5 pounds that puts him at middleweight. Although not first hand experience, I've heard that Rich Franklin usually walks around at 210-220 and probably walks into the ring at that weight, cutting massive amounts leading up to the fight.

With the exception of GSP who I think is just a freak of nature, I'm curious if a lot of other guys would be considered the bad-asses they are if they fought at their natural weight.

As for the original post about same day weigh-ins. They will just cut like they are not, the only exception (as already mentioned) is that you will see two dehydrated skeletons, fighting. Not counting the medical issues with that, but I would think fights wouldn't go past the first round simply because someone would gas horribly being that dehydrated. Then there's also the shock to one's system re-hydrating to quickly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 8:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McScary
    I agree with you 100%, weigh ins should be day of. Weight cutting is out of hand and it defeats the purpose of having so many weight classes IMO.
    there really aren't that many weight classes at least not in the top organizations.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 9:50pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by noonyez
    there really aren't that many weight classes at least not in the top organizations.
    True, there are not a ton of weight classes in places like the UFC. That being said, many of the fighters fight at about two weight classes lower than what they actually walk at. It is also pretty telling that there are several guys who have fought in as many as three different weight classes all within a fairly short period of time.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 10:27pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe that the origin of day before weigh ins has to do with promotion. If a fighter doesn't make weight, their promoter can force them to go sit in a sauna until they do. It's quite preferable from a commercial standpoint over "sorry every one, one of the fighters was a bit too fat, the fight is cancelled."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 12:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McScary
    True, there are not a ton of weight classes in places like the UFC. That being said, many of the fighters fight at about two weight classes lower than what they actually walk at. It is also pretty telling that there are several guys who have fought in as many as three different weight classes all within a fairly short period of time.
    Other than Kenny Florian i can't think of many fighters that have competed in three different weight classes.(In short amounts of time.)

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 1:07am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah my understanding is that its also mostly a commercial one. i dont know how that sort of **** happens because **** man, do these people not have scales at home?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 3:08am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    my understanding is that boxing made the move from same day to day before in order to lower the mortality rate, and mma follows a boxing model in these matters.

absurd weight cutting, detestable as it is, is preferable to deaths in the cage.

(weigh ins one week prior, one day prior, and ringside would possibly fix things, but even that's unlikely)
    Yeah it comes from boxing which brought in the day before weigh in to eliminate fighters coming in badly dehydrated and endangering their health (see for example Gerald McLellan and many others).

The british boxing board/council/whatever now has month out weight checks to ensure that fighters aren't too far over fight weight.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 6:20am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wouldn't cutting too much weight go away after a while? Guys who are naturally in the weight class or very close to it would just continue to beat the crap out of too dehydrated guys until they learn. Or is it a question of too big of a reward vs. risk - thing?

Weight cutting is stupid and takes away a part of the whole purpose of weight classes in general. I bet we'd actually see better fights when no major weight cutting was possible. Or can you really be 100% after rehydrating something like 20 pounds in a day? And much does cutting that much weight take out of your training regime?

I remember seeing TUF season 1 where Bobby Southworth cut what, 25 pounds in under 48 hours and he was still looking more like a tanned white guy after a binge than a black dude getting ready to fight for the fight of his career..
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast