Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 6:06pm

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I too have been looking for Judo around this area, but I'm a little further west.

...We should have a Chicago area TD. Chicago Throwdown 15.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 8:05pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GettingLessFat
    Jsteel, I appreciate the help, but we're all in Illinois.

EDIT: Found it! Thanks
    Sorry, I assumed you were asking me because your post was right under mine. Oh well, if you ever move to Buffalo you know where to go for Judo. :5bouncy:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 11:13am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    anyone is welcome to stop by and try a free trial class, just so you know, you'll probally end up doing breakfalling and stuff the first class, so you might not be that involved in randori/newaza too much, so don't be dissapointed I believe that's pretty standard in a judo club. instructor is open though, we have class tonight @ 7, not sure if he'll be there but he usually is, I've been out the last week with a bad back.
    If you're curious I'm the dopey, clumsy, bad white judo player, hard to miss.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 12:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by default
    anyone is welcome to stop by and try a free trial class, just so you know, you'll probally end up doing breakfalling and stuff the first class, so you might not be that involved in randori/newaza too much, so don't be dissapointed I believe that's pretty standard in a judo club. instructor is open though, we have class tonight @ 7, not sure if he'll be there but he usually is, I've been out the last week with a bad back.
    Hey, you look like me?! I think we all look that way, and Judo is harder than it looks. Balance, fit, throw seems to be an easy thing to do until you try it. My current nightmare is Morote Seoi Nage, at least as bad as my first TKD teacher was (I have since had way better) I fall better than the Aikido people do and basically just got into throws my first class after demonstrating I knew how to fall properly already.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 7:52pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can come in for a free class? Sounds great! I might do that next Friday. You're sure though, because I have a bit of a story about that claim.

So the Glenview Park District also has a Judo program, and I called the pd's secretary to get the number of the judo instructor or representative, and she keeps trying to give me the # of some Karate school. After explaining the differences, she tells me that the # for the rep for the Judo program, and says to come in for a trial class.

Obviously this woman has no idea what she's talking about, when I get there the sensei tells me that for insurance reasons I can't even step on the mats without signing up.

Welp, that sucks, so I watch the class. It's one hour, and no one around my age and size (17, ~170) just grown men working with eachother and spazzing kids with no technique.
    The instructor can't get the kids in line, and at Randori time there were no ippons. Also, at a later date some of the adult students were reffing, though they admitted they had no idea how.

So yeah. Also, one more specific example, one of the techniques taught was to begin o soto gari, then instead of sweeping, plant the sweeping foot behind the uke and spin the trailing foot so your back is at the uke's front. Then turn it into a hip throw. Maybe it's me, but this is basically handing an o soto gari to the uke. Just a standard defence, lifting the leg and taking the weight off the foot being swept, then they've handed you the throw and they're even spinning into it.

So yeah. I had to get that off my chest. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 6:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't speak for the glenview park district program, I don't have experience with them at all. It sounds like they may have been practicing a combination, an Osoto gari into a hari goshi?? I don't have nearly enough experience to comment on it, so maybe someone with more could explain?
    As far as the free class is concerned, there is a phone number for contact on the site, you may get a better explanation from them.
    I will be there next week, but probally not friday, going fishing. But, when I get back I will gladly try to ippon you if you'd like during randorri. Free Ippons...seriously if you really need one. I've got about 50 lbs on you, but there are people your size there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 3:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Free Ippons
    What a deal!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 11:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    did you check them out friday gettingless? I'll be there tonight

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 6:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Friday was a no go, the old lady needed the auto. Tuesdays are also one of my current club's meeting days. Are you guys doing the 4th or do you have families and such?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 7:48pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread was originally about an instructor who allegedly claims false credentials. I e-mailed the gym regarding this and have still not received an answer. Has anyone else done anything to verify the claims on the website?

If this is a dead issue this thread should be moved out of MABS.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast