Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 5:30am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in the big picture, thats not a long distance perse. at that distance if you just run it for a period of time you should see your times just drop off to a point and then level off around your general fitness.

just keep working it and you'll improve. also maybe try running it in different places like a park for a change of scenery.

Weak

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 6:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interval sprints, hill sprints, squats, deadlifts.

Once a week I do a short plyo session (takes 20 minutes) then I go for a long run.

12 jump squats (you can add a med ball and throw it as you jump up from the squat)
    12 split hand push ups
    12 burpees (or you can do tuck jumps if you like)
    12 med ball twists
    12 box jumps
    Repeat 3 times, no breaks...then head out for a run (I get about 8 miles in).

Just space out your workouts so you are able to recover. I like to do a full body weights session though I know most guys work arms, chest, legs on separate days. I'd do something like this:

Monday - jog 1.5m (am), MA training (pm)
    Tuesday - interval sprints + jog 2 miles (pm)
    Wednesday - weights
    Thursday - hill sprints (am), MA training (pm)
    Friday - weights (am), MA (pm)
    Saturday - jog 3 miles or rest
    Sunday - plyo + long distance run

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 11:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bujinakn

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Comment #1: Lily is a stud. And I mean that in the best sense of the word. If you're in decent shape but not an experienced runner, I reckon it'll take 3 months to work up to her workout.

Comment #2: This is a great tool for figuring out workouts for races of 5k+.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smartcoach

I recommend poking around the website to get a handle on running training concepts and terms.

In the meantime, I would try something like:

Week 1 and 2: 3 easy runs of 20 -25 minutes. These may not make you run faster but they will help prevent injuries later on.

Week 3 and 4:
    Day 1: 20 -25 min. easy run
    Day 2: 20 -25 min. fartlek
    Day 3: 20 min Tempo run (For your goal time, tempo should be about 7:30/mile)

Week 5-7: Warm Up and then:
    Day 1: 4 x 800 repeats with 200m jog in between
    Day 2: 8 x 400 (1:45 - 2:00 intervals to be conservative)
    Day3: 20 min Tempo run
    * Adding an easy run of 20-30 min here is a good idea.

Week 8:
    Rest and warm up. Do a repeats to make your legs feel good.
    Race at the end of the week.

There are other ways to train, but this should get you going. On the repeats and tempo runs, keep in mind that you're aiming for a repeatable pace - not your max speed for the distance. If you do that and get good sneakers, you should be able to drop time without getting hurt and have enough juice to train MA on the off days.

Hope that helps.

Good luck

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 12:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing, swashbuckling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To go 1.5 miles in 10:30 you'd need to run an average of 35 seconds for every 100 meters. Seeing as most 1-legged men could make it 100 meters in 35 seconds, with time to spare, I don't think you really need to get faster. You need to work on your cardio. When you're running try to run a mixture of long-distance-slow-pace runs and short-distance-fast-pace runs. So let's say over the course of two weeks: On Monday you'll run 3-4 miles at whatever pace is slow enough to let you finish that distance (slow down even more if you need to, but try to avoid stopping/walking at all costs, since it'll kill your gains), Wednesday you'll do 2-4 400m or 800m runs as fast as you can without slowing down at any point throughout, Friday you'll do the same as Monday. Then next week you'll do the opposite: Fast, Slow, Fast. Every couple of weeks try running a straight-up 1.5 mile run - just like the other runs you should try to find a pace that you can keep throughout without leaving you with a ton of gas in the tank. Up the intensity/numbers on whatever as your conditioning improves.

(I ran Varsity Track for 3 years in Highschool, made it to States twice, in case you're wondering whether I'm a runner or not)

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 1:07pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm on a run-up to pre-deployment to Iraq which means as part of my training, I'm in the Gym every day for at least 2 hours.

My running consists of a 30 minute run on a treadmill at level 11 (11 km per hour) and adding incline resistance to parts of that exercise. Every other day I substitute the treadmill for a road/track run.

The key IMHO is building on cardio vascular fitness and making your lung intake as effective as humanly possible given the constraints of need (you're not training to be an Olympic athlete) a 10.30 for the distance you're covering is do-able but remember that this is a high impact run and although short in distance if you have poor running technique, low quality running shoes and, possibly not as physically fit (lean) as you could be, running like this can have detrimental effects on your joints.

If you have a beach near by I suggest running hard on that, alternatively an evenly cut grass surface however; don't get so goal orientated you have to hit that time at the detriment of your joints/health.

IMHO better to run for a much longer time - 20 to 30 minutes+ at a slower pace than kick the fucking arse out of 1.5 miles.

Good luck with your training

--Dave

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 9:12am

Style: Wing Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Run with someone else who is faster than you are. Preferably someone who can do the distance in the time you need to do. Try to keep up with them.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12