...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 3:33pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How Do Run Faster?!!???

Some time ago, I tried to apply to work for the FBI, but was ineligible. However, I decided it would be a good idea to use the FBI fitness test to set personal fitness goals for myself since the benchmarks are rather strenuous.

I feel as though I've been having particular difficulty improving my 1.5 mile run. According to http://www.stewsmith.com/linkpages/fbi.htm a male who wants to get a decent score on the 1.5 mile run would need to finish with a time between 10:34-10:15. Right now, my time is closer to ~12 minutes.

The only thing I've been doing to train for this particular goal is occasionally running on a treadmill, and on an indoor track, for the 1.5 mile distance. I don't know any actual techniques or strategies used by runners, and thought that it might be sensible to ask for some basic training advice and techniques.

Can anyone suggest some basic training techniques for improving a 1.5 mile run?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 3:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My friend just got into the FBI and passed the run using my method. 3-4 times per week run 1/4 mile balls out (you should be close to vomiting). Once a week run the mile and a half. You should see your time drop dramatically while keeping your mileage low and avoiding injury. Try it for three weeks and see what happens.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 3:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, thanks! That sounds very doable. I'll give it a try.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 4:10pm

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds silly, but try looking at some video of people running (like Olympic sprinters and distance runners) to see some stuff like how they posture themselves on a run.

Also, get off the treadmill and get outside.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 8:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bujinakn

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How many days of the week are you willing to commit 20 - 30 minutes to running?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 9:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not a trainer or anything, so just take this as advice from some random asshole on the internet, cause that's what it is. Anyway though, I've found if I just go out and run at a comfortable pace for as long as I can, that mostly just helps me run at that pace longer. Doing sprints helps greatly. What I've done, on 1/4 or ~1/8 mile(I think it was something like that, it was an indoor track) tracks is do an easy warmup lap or two then sprint through the straight part and jog or walk quickly(usually deteriorates to that after a few) around the curves. Do that until you can't take any more, and do a real easy cool down lap or two.

Also something you can do is based on your target time for the 1.5 miles, figure out how long it should take you to run the 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile. Then get yourself a stop watch, or a cheapo $10 watch that has one, and time yourself as you run 1/4 or 1/2 mile or whatever. You should be trying to dial in the pace you need to set to hit your target time. Once you've got that figured out work on being able to run at that pace for progressively longer distances. This is good if you're restricted to a treadmill for some reason.
    Last edited by Eric; 6/18/2008 9:36pm at .

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 10:28pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might try working you're lower abs more(leg lifts,ect. ect.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 10:38pm

Style: Crappling (BJJ Hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to run faster... Then run faster. When you get tired, slow down, but up your overall speed. It will gradually improve. Work on your form too, get it as efficient as you can. Its like lifting weights in my experience. How do you lift more? By frikkin pushing your ass, and adding a little more weight every so often.

Also, get off the treadmill. It wont help you that much in actual outside running. Two different things.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 11:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dumblucky
    How many days of the week are you willing to commit 20 - 30 minutes to running?
    Let's say 3 days a week?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 12:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD & TaiJi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The AF Basic method was run 2 times a day, one set 2 mile run, one set 100 meter sprint, 100 meter jog - 2 mile total. gets about 58 out of 60 people down to about that time.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast