Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 2:17pm

Style: BJJ, JJJ and JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Crazy 88 Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - Maryland

Crazy 88 Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, a Lloyd Irvin affiliate school in Elkridge MD, is a large sized facility run by brown belt Julius Park. Both my wife and I have been attending there for a couple of weeks and realized that there was no review posted yet...

Overview- The school promotes a friendly and fun (yet serious) atmosphere and despite having a serious competition team there doesn't seem to be any ego issues. From day one we both were treated with the utmost respect, rolling with one of their Pan Am champion purple belts to assess our skills right off the bat. Many students here are amateur/professional fighters that compete in local, state and national tournaments. They encourage everyone to compete, but it's not required.

The staff includes several purple and brown belts as well as a black belt who visits from another nearby school a few days a week. In addition to the BJJ ranks, and NAGA/Pan AM championships, some of the instructors fight MMA as well.

Facilities - The school is well kept/clean and professional looking. It has two 2000sq foot training rooms in addition to the offices, lobby, changing rooms. My only complaint is that there are no showers.

Classes - All classes start w/ approx 10 minutes of warm up and conditioning/stretching exercises. For those looking for more fitness challenges the school maintains a fitness log for those wanting to participate in circuit training and the higher belts are always eager to assist you and workout with you...

Currently there are ten types of classes being taught:

White Belt Basics: An hour long class consisting of warm-ups followed by grip fighting then moving into 2-3 position/submissions with the last 15 minutes being dedicated to rolling (5x5 minute rounds). The rolling is sometimes free rolling, and sometimes specific to the concepts being conveyed in class.

Basics Plus: An hour and a half long class with the only real difference being the length of time dedicated to sparring and the inclusion of more grip fighting/takedowns. Rolling in this class lasts anywhere from 30-45 minutes.

Competition Team: A three times a week class for those looking to be serious competitors on the BJJ circuit. Grueling conditioning, gameplan tweaking and *lots* of sparring are key components of this class. Anyone can participate regardless of their actual competition plans, but the rule is if you start you have to finish.

Advanced: I have not personally attended one of these yet, but from watching on the sidelines I would say the emphasis here is on fast paced drilling. Rarely will a new move be introduced that the majority of the participants don't already know. These classes also seem to have a little more focus on takedowns than the other two gi classes.

No-Gi: An hour and a half class much like the others. 15 minutes or so of conditioning/warm-up followed by take-down and/or submission drills. The last 30-45 minutes is dedicated to sparring.

Family: An hour long class that combines the kids and White Belt Basics class allowing parents and their children to attend the same class. This is offered once a week on Saturday mornings.

Women's Only: There are currently both BJJ and Muay Thai women's only classes being offered. We have the largest women's BJJ program in the Baltimore area and it is growing weekly.

Muay Thai: An hour long class offered three times a week. Covering the basics of Muay Thai as they apply to MMA. Students are required to purchase their own gear before they can start sparring.

Advanced Muay Thai: Much like the beginner Muay Thai class but only for those who have the basics down and are prepared to do more sparring.

The school takes a rotational approach to its curriculum, meaning that it has a catalog of principles/positions/submissions and it constantly rotates through them cyclically. So if you join the school when they are half way through a cycle you end up starting where everyone else is and eventually you will cycle all the way through back to where you started. Rinse and repeat.

Also, the gym is kept open every night following training so that people who want extra rolling time and/or drilling time can sweat to their heart's content as well.

Concerns - First and foremost I am very happy with my decision to join this academy over some of the other I researched in the area, but in the interest of an honest and fair review I will lay out the concerns/issues I have. As I mentioned before the lack of showers can be difficult especially in the hot summer months but it is nothing that really hinders the training experience. The use of contracts, and the high price, concerned me a little but adjustments to the number of classes you take per month (there are multiple programs… I am personally on the unlimited while my wife is on the twice a week) can be made with 30 days notice and you are not locked into them for any length of time. They are solely to allow for EFT with no “gotcha” clauses in them.

The only other concern would be for people with zero martial arts experience, such as my wife. The “thrown to the wolves” approach is in full effect here when it comes to sparring and while everyone is extremely nice and no-one is trying to break you there is really no assistance for brand new people. My wife, after her first 45 minutes of learning how to begin to do some half-guard transitions was told to spar she just looked at me and asked “And do what?” It was a valid question.
    Last edited by Raging Monkey; 9/14/2009 10:50am at .

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 4:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did they adopt the name because it sounded cool?

Nice review.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 5:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no clue where the name comes from... I will ask Julius tonight.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 2:06am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Did they adopt the name because it sounded cool?
    Nice review.
    Seconding - both the "nice review" and the question about the name... You know, somehow I just can't get rid of a nasty aftertaste in my mouth connected to this number - 88 is the favourite neo-nazi cover for a greeting used 60-something years ago ("H" being the 8th letter in the alphabet)...

I know it is very probably something totally different, but I just can't help the bad feeling...

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 3:57am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably one of the best school reviews I've read in a very long time. Good job!

Less the Neo Nazi name info. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 7:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Julius wasn't in last night, one of the other guys was teaching but I am pretty sure there is no nazi symbolism there... If I had to guess I would say it is a Tarantino reference ala Kill Bill. But I will get the answer shortly to put to rest any concerns.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 11:29am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raging Monkey
    Julius wasn't in last night, one of the other guys was teaching but I am pretty sure there is no nazi symbolism there... If I had to guess I would say it is a Tarantino reference ala Kill Bill. But I will get the answer shortly to put to rest any concerns.

I know the reference. If you knew the reference, you'd get my question. :smile:
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 1:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dammit. Now I feel as if an important piece of pop culture is escaping me!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 1:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandinha
    Probably one of the best school reviews I've read in a very long time. Good job!

Less the Neo Nazi name info. :(
    Thanks, I tried to be thorough.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 9:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Updated to include Muay Thai class info.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast