222497 Bullies, 4150 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 1:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Waist Line

Hi guys, I couldn't find my previous thread on my expanding waistline to necro so I'm having to start a new one.

I really don't understand what is going on with my body at the moment.

For the last couple of months I've been training BJJ 4-5 days a week and eating pretty well. Following the 'small and often' rule for food and making sure i have a good balance of Carbs, Protein and fat.

However my waist size is just getting bigger and bigger. At the moment it's at 38-39 but I look the slimmest I've ever been. I actually have muscle lines appearing for the first time in my life, yet the jeans and trousers that fit when I had a belly are way too small for me, what gives?

My GF keeps telling me that it's my legs and core that are increasing in size because of the exercise and protein and not to worry but approaching a 40 inch waist is frankly, quite depressing!

I'm 6'3 and 95kg with my Gi on, should my waist line be smaller or is it not quite that simple?

Help! Before I end up on the Atkins diet :angry2:
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 2:16pm

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Waist in inches and yet weight in KG...what gives?...Metric or no Metric, don't bounce back and forth.

:eusa_naug

Seriously though, have you had any blood work done at the doctor lately? May be a thyroid problem? I am currently having similar problems. My doc doubled my thyroid meds about 5 months ago. I have quit gaining but I can't drop what was added...very frustrating...getting old with a poor metabolism.
    Real Join Date: Nov. 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert
    "Driving without blood is surprisingly difficult."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 2:20pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to be taking bodyfat measurements if you are worried about this kind of thing. It may be due to muscular growth.

Hell, it might even be due to a buildup of fecal matter in your intestines :D

Seriously though, there is a guy at my gym who is huge and strong. He hasn't gotten any fatter, but according to him, since he's been doing heavy deads, his waistline has gone from a 30 to a 34 because he's increased the bone structure in his hips (according to him).

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 2:21pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're not fat. You're just big boned.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 2:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    Waist in inches and yet weight in KG...what gives?...Metric or no Metric, don't bounce back and forth.

:eusa_naug

Seriously though, have you had any blood work done at the doctor lately? May be a thyroid problem? I am currently having similar problems. My doc doubled my thyroid meds about 5 months ago. I have quit gaining but I can't drop what was added...very frustrating...getting old with a poor metabolism.
    This has been mentioned before and I'm going to get tested for Thyroid but I doubt it's that as I haven't actually got fatter or put on any weight. Just "bigger" it would seem.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 4:30pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Asriel, objectively, do you believe your gut has increased. By gut I mean the following so that there is no missunderstanding:

With both hands, using your ring and middle fingers, touch the illiac crests of your hips at each side of your stomach (see this image thingie).

Then, while still pressing both illiac crets, with your thumbs, feel the edge of your bottom ribs back and forth. That area covered by your hands is your gut. Has that area increased in size or remained the same?

If it has noticeably increased, then yeah, you are getting phat.

BUT, if not, then your increase in pant size is not just waist, but hip, glute and top tighs. I had that problem, too. I went from a bit less than 30 to over 32 with almost no increase in my gut. It was all hip. If hip gets bigger, it will pull the cloth on your pants, increasing the waist size.

Waist size in clothing is a misnomer. It's not just waist but hip and, to a point, tigh size.

It could also be water retention, but the most likely cause is simply that you packing muscles on the hip area (a good thing anyways.)

You are getting at a point where just managing the portions and frequency is no longer sufficient. You will have to pay closer attention at the content of your meals and the timing in which you ingest them.

I'd suggest to cut all your carbs every other day in the mid-afternoon and night while increasing protein and fibrous greens (brocolli, for example) if you havent' done it already.

If that's already done, then do it every day. If that's done already, the attemp to cut 1/5 to 1/4 of your calories per day and see how you feel/respond to it.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 4:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the reply Macho, can always count on you ;)

I just did that test and no, the gut isn't getting bigger. In fact, as I said earlier, its the most toned its ever been.

Would cutting carbs in the afternoon be a good idea of I'm going to be doing BJJ at about 6pm?

What inspired me to post this is that I put on my suit to go to some client meetings today and couldn't sit down in my trousers. They're tight on the waist and skin tight on the legs (when sitting). Plus my shirt felt like it was going to rip across my back Hulk Hogan style whenever I lent forward.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 5:01pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    Thanks for the reply Macho, can always count on you ;)

I just did that test and no, the gut isn't getting bigger. In fact, as I said earlier, its the most toned its ever been.

Would cutting carbs in the afternoon be a good idea of I'm going to be doing BJJ at about 6pm?
    Try and see how it feels. You can cut them all or just part of them, or have a small carb snack prior to jits. Adjust how much you cut depending on how you feel. Also, if you get most of your carbs in the morning and early afternoon (and most of these carbs are good, complex ones), it should not affect you much.

Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    What inspired me to post this is that I put on my suit to go to some client meetings today and couldn't sit down in my trousers. They're tight on the waist and skin tight on the legs (when sitting). Plus my shirt felt like it was going to rip across my back Hulk Hogan style whenever I lent forward.
    I know the feeling dude. I got three suits and bunch of bizness pants and shirts that I never got to use (since I've been working on an t-shirt-and-tennis IT shop for the last 3 years.) Alas, they dont' fit me at all and I had to spend $$$ overnight for new clothes for an interview. Pants didn't fit or close and my shirts were going to rip in the middle of my back.

Get ready to update your wardrobe dude.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 5:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the help dude, its appreciated and I'm pleased to hear i'm not the only who's going all Incredible Hulk on his clothes.

I've changed my pre-workout carbs to things like a big Banana or a wholeweat bagel with peanut butter, how does that sound?

Also, I've been taking this post-workout: http://www.myprotein.co.uk/formulas/...s/recovery-xs/

Active Ingredients (per 90g serving):

1. Waxy Maize Starch: 50g
    2. Whey Protein Isolate: 27g
    3. Leucine: 5.5g
    4. Glutamine: 4.5g
    5. Creapure®: 3g
    6. Vitamin C: 550mg
    7. Electrolytes: 360mg

Should I carry on using it?

What amazes me is that I'm getting these size increases from full time Jits training. I haven't even touched weights for 2-3 months!