Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 1:52pm

Style: San shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Clinches?

So the clinch's I'm familiar with are the underhook, overhook, thai clinch and the over under bodylock and I suppose the bear hug...(although I'm not sure if that counts). I was wondering if there were any other good clinch holds to use and how to use them?

thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 2:21pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwatcher
    So the clinch's I'm familiar with are the underhook, overhook, thai clinch and the over under bodylock and I suppose the bear hug...(although I'm not sure if that counts). I was wondering if there were any other good clinch holds to use and how to use them?

thanks
    Hand on shoulder

Hand on bicep

Hand on hip

Hand on head

Wrist grabs

Elbow grabs

I mean, you can grab somebody anywhere.

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 2:31pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I go for the 'angry nun grab-the-ear' clinch. This usually followed up by a headlock, with noogies for good measure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 2:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohan
    Hand on shoulder

Hand on bicep

Hand on hip

Hand on head

Wrist grabs

Elbow grabs

I mean, you can grab somebody anywhere.
    a clinch, and grabbing someone are different. Wrist grabs and elboy grabs drop your gaurd and don't give you the same distancing as a clinch. Putting your hand on someones hip I'd use maybe avoid a takedown but not as a clinch. And putting your hand on someones head, isn't gonna restrain them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 2:47pm

Style: Catch as Catch Can

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use the Crazy Monkey Boxing Clinch/Hook thing all the time
    [color=#ffffff]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[yt]H7w2IUJ7jR8

There are also different variations of the Thai clinch other than just the straight up Thai clinch in MMA.

You can see some of them in these vids below
    [b]YouTube - Muay Thai Clinch Moves 2,3 & 4
    YouTube - Muay Thai Clinch Moves 1

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 3:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mark Hatmaker (of NHB book/video series) classifies 3 major clinches:

1. Thai clinch/double collar ties/plum blossom
    2. Over/under
    3. Collar & elbow

Generally he identifies these as the major starting points, and others (double underhooks, double overhooks, underhook and single collar tie, etc) as secondary, I guess.

Couture identifies a couple other places he likes to hit people from--primarily a side-switching single collar tie with angles--and of course head-to-head handfighting/gripfighting.

The basic Gracie tapes talk about entering the clinch to the inside (hugging their arms), to the outside of the arm (to their side, 1/2 behind). These are defensive-oriented clinches, where you tuck your head and go for o-goshi/hip toss, tani-otoshi/backwards fall, kosoto-gake/near leg hook, or a double underhook bend backwards--anyone have a japanese name for that last one?

I think Yohan is saying (and I agree) that you're being ambiguous. "Clinches" can mean any way a human grabs another human. Do we include judo gi-grabbing? ie, back of collar and sleeve? What about a headlock, that's a kind of clinching. Wikipedia has an OK section on the various handles, but you seem to have seen it (?)...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 3:46pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwatcher
    a clinch, and grabbing someone are different. Wrist grabs and elboy grabs drop your gaurd and don't give you the same distancing as a clinch. Putting your hand on someones hip I'd use maybe avoid a takedown but not as a clinch. And putting your hand on someones head, isn't gonna restrain them.
    I agree with you that grabbing someone and a clinch is a different thing. If you are holding on to someones wrist and standing back, you aren't clinched up. At the same time, you could have a single neck tie and a wrist grab - that's a clinch position, and it's useful for creating openings for knees.

You could have a single underhook and one hand on a bicep. That's a clinch position, and it might be good for something though it seems like it would open you up to a sweep.

You could have a single neck tie and a hand on the hip.

Etc.

I think Yohan is saying (and I agree) that you're being ambiguous. "Clinches" can mean any way a human grabs another human. Do we include judo gi-grabbing? ie, back of collar and sleeve? What about a headlock, that's a kind of clinching. Wikipedia has an OK section on the various handles, but you seem to have seen it (?)...
    Yeah, that's basically what I'm saying. Clinch positions and Judo Gi-grabbing are very similar. A sleeve grab is reminiscent to an overhook. A collar grab is similar to a neck tie. I do a single neck tie and an overhook for my off balance for a sweep (modified from standard osoto gari or o uchi gari (did I get the names right? I suck at the different language thing)).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 4:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ah I see, thanks guys, I'm not too familiar with judo gi grabbing would it be the same as the usual clinch's except holding onto the gi? I've seen a few vids, of collar grabbing and sleeve grabbing that are imperative to the throw at hand so it probably helps your game. Personally I use neckties all the time, if there is a way to improve it using the gi I'd be happy to here it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 7:20am

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 9:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!