Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 6:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mouth Guards & Braces.

I should have asked this question a while ago. Back when I first got my braces actually, which if I can remember correctly was almost 6 months ago. Since I do Muay Thai now and we do quite a bit of training - my lips, particularly on my lower jaw get what is best described as "shredded" when I get hit in the face.

It's not that big of a deal at the time. It hurts and it bleeds a bit (sometimes allot) but I can deal with it. The problem is it takes forever to heal. I took a haymaker to the face while sparing a friend about 3 months ago and I still have the cut on my right cheek (on the inside). Every time I get bumped the cuts just get worse and worse.

The worst thing is, I was wearing a "Shockdoctor" mouthguard, designed for people with braces. It only covers my top jaw and I was told that braces don't come in a double-jaw style and that it would be too hard to breathe and talk if I put them on top and bottom jaws. So I ask you guys - is there ANYTHING I can do to stop this? I don't want to ask the orthodontist since they'll probably encourage my mum to stop me from participating in Muay Thai or any other physical sport alltogether. You guys probably know how they overexadurate things quite a bit.

Any help is appreciated. But please, don't tell me to quit Muay Thai, I enjoy it way too much. I'm not going to wait another year and a half, or longer, to do it.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 7:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewD

The worst thing is, I was wearing a "Shockdoctor" mouthguard, designed for people with braces. It only covers my top jaw and I was told that braces don't come in a double-jaw style and that it would be too hard to breathe and talk if I put them on top and bottom jaws. So I ask you guys - is there ANYTHING I can do to stop this? I don't want to ask the orthodontist since they'll probably encourage my mum to stop me from participating in Muay Thai or any other physical sport alltogether. You guys probably know how they overexadurate things quite a bit.

Any help is appreciated. But please, don't tell me to quit Muay Thai, I enjoy it way too much. I'm not going to wait another year and a half, or longer, to do it.
    There was a thread like this a while back. Someone recommended these (or something like them). I've trained with someone who had top and bottom braces and this sort of mouthguard did the trick.
    I don't know whether these would cover the inside of your cheek, though.

EDIT: THIS IS THE OTHER THREAD:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...ghlight=braces
    Last edited by sochin101; 6/18/2008 7:05am at .

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 7:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are OK but it is hard to breath with them, you should train for quite a while to get used to them.
    A better but way more expensive option would be to go to your dentist and get a fitted mouthgard (price in Germany about 180). They fit perfect and have a upper and lower section linked towards the end.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 7:16am

Style: Muay Thai MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My daughter used to train with a double guard for use with braces, not sure where I got but it worked Ok. My son uses the Shockdoctor like you but gets the odd cut, better guard should sort this out.
    The dentist made one is the best but might get expensive as you're teeth will still be moving. That's something I'm leaving with my son until near the end of the treatment.

Brain Pad do a double that fits braces

http://www.made4fighters.co.uk/produ...l.asp?prod=254
    Last edited by Who?; 6/18/2008 7:21am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 7:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the quick replies. So now I know for sure there are such mouth guards that cover both the top and bottom. I'll look into getting some of them, although my teeth are moving, I'll have to replace them often. Oh well, what can you do really.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 8:12am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    seriously, talk to your dentist.

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 4:21am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had this problem in boxing a few years back, my dentist made a custom mouth guard. A few notes:

* It is a little hard to breathe with the double mouthguard, at least it will teach you to breathe in through your nose.
    *Depending on how far along your braces are, you may even need another mouth guard made in 6months to a years time (sucks i know). Then another mouth guard made post - bracers.