Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 1:39am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey
    i rarely compete without headgear as i'm training to be a lawyer and need my head intact.. does this make me a bad person? lol
    Nope, but headgear only prevents brain damage, it doesn't reverse it.

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 1:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal
    I demand this goes to MABS!
    I request you shut the **** up and and dnt look at my post if you dont like it dumbshit

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 4:32pm

Style: karate, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    During MMA sparring, I use less kicking and use more face punching, boxing. Matter of fact, MMA sparring woke me up to level of reality and humility, that I had been deluded with traditional martial arts limitations. Upto that point, I had thought my kicks were my strengths.

Kicking tires me out faster and they'll just take my kick then follow back in for counters.

Sanda/sanshou seem to be better suited for MMA, with integrating throws and take-downs.

Easier, well, for me, to learn to use elbows and knees than to learn to use throws/take-down. under full pressure.

Either way, sanda (sanshou)/muayThai/international kickboxing/boxing are all better at preparation for stand-up than most karate (non-kyokushin/enshin) or WTF taekwondo experiences.

In self-defense, unarmed combat, being able to throw (and defend vs throw) to hard objects or floor can be useful.

While I see the important of BJJ or judo ne-waza in MMA, for real fighting I'd want to get back on my feet, ASAP.
    Last edited by charlie echo; 11/08/2011 4:38pm at .

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 1:58pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is three years old.
    Truly, the phrase 'search function n00b' is a double-edged sword.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    11/12/2011 2:27pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah. I came here and was like "WTF?"

On a side note, Mick, are you a lawyer now?
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2011 1:39am

Style: Boxing/Sanda/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that which one is better for MMA will depend on your goal. If you're a good BJJ artist that wants to submit the opponent, San Da is probably better for your game. If you, on the other hand, want to pound the crap out of someone on the feet, I'd recommend Muay Thai.

For real life fighting, I would prefer to have a background in Muay Thai (and above that, boxing). San Da relies heavily on catching/countering kicks. Most people you'll encounter in street fights aren't going to be kicking you, so that part of your game is rendered useless. On the flip side, knowing how to knee/elbow the **** out of someone is pretty handy in this context...

As for throwing kicks in MMA, San Da can help you a lot in that dept. Because San Da fighters are so good at catching kicks, spending time in a San Da gym will improve your ability to hide your kicks with punches and to defend against catches. While I, myself, am not a good example of this (because I'm really not very good at San Da), there are some guys in my gym who you just can't get a hold of when they kick.

Conversely, my San Da has helped me score takedowns against superior wrestlers sparring and fights. In San Da sparring, you learn to set up your foot sweeps and hip throws with knee strikes. In my second fight, I went against a high school state champion/college wrestler. He forced me against the cage and I was able to osoto gake him. In my fourth fight, I got my opponent to lift up his leg to block my thigh-knees, so I hip-tossed/reaped his other leg. In my sixth fight, I threw a knee then landed an outside trip with the opposite leg for a takedown. And in my seventh/most recent fight, which was against an accomplished HS wreslter, I threw a knee and landed a foot sweep with my opposite leg. That was all San Da/Shuai Jiao

I think that on a lower level, like locally and stuff, San Da usually wins out against MT just because it's so different and unexpected. Plus, it's SO demoralizing having your kicks caught and getting countered or taken down every time you throw one. On the other hand, I think that the highest level nakmuay are fundamentally better strikers than the highest level San Da fighters, and would win in a pure striking match.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 9:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    This thread is three years old.
    Truly, the phrase 'search function n00b' is a double-edged sword.
    Better to add then to start a new thread

Why are you whining?

There's a lot of whiners complaining in Bullshido, but if that's how you "roll" then, well, enjoy your self. Whoa, it's catching:am I also complaining?

My theory is that a good amateur fighter has a solid base and can adapt and "enjoy" different fight sports

My goal is to be decent at sparring in MMA and in bareknuckle knockdown karate.

Osu

Posted On:
    11/21/2011 10:12pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie echo View Post
    Better to add then to start a new thread

Why are you whining?

There's a lot of whiners complaining in Bullshido, but if that's how you "roll" then, well, enjoy your self. Whoa, it's catching:am I also complaining?

My theory is that a good amateur fighter has a solid base and can adapt and "enjoy" different fight sports

My goal is to be decent at sparring in MMA and in bareknuckle knockdown karate.

Osu
    Ossu! Charlie what is your experience in Karate, when you mean when you say you were delude by Traditional martial arts do you include Kyokushin in there?

On topic IMHO I believe Muay Thai to be better for a MMA competition the Thai stance seems more stable than the Sand stance anda most of the takedowns in Sanda dont seem to let the thrower in an excellent position for executing submission or ground and pound
    For myself If I was going into MMA I would choose Thai instead of Sanda the Thai Clinch and knees I believe are better for ending a fight than the Sanda throws

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2011 3:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    Ossu! Charlie what is your experience in Karate, when you mean when you say you were delude by Traditional martial arts do you include Kyokushin in there?

On topic IMHO I believe Muay Thai to be better for a MMA competition the Thai stance seems more stable than the Sand stance anda most of the takedowns in Sanda dont seem to let the thrower in an excellent position for executing submission or ground and pound
    For myself If I was going into MMA I would choose Thai instead of Sanda the Thai Clinch and knees I believe are better for ending a fight than the Sanda throws
    i do not include Kyokushin. the lack of face punching is more than offset by continuous full contact knockdown kicks to head and legs (and mid') and body punches, all with no or minimal padding. There also not much clinching or take-down and zero on ground fighting, but isn't that what MMA sparring's for?

there are some "traditional" karate, often Okinawan, dojo that do full contact or bare-knuckle or both types of sparring and fighting: really can't generalize.

muay Thai, international/Dutch kickboxing, and Sanda all have interesting trade offs, so I feel the differences matters nothing, but that the quality of instructor(s) and advanced students that you fight with mattere.

Even in MMA they're limiting rules, for good reasons, as I would not want to do a full powered downward elbow to a MMA sparring partner shooting for my leg for a take down, then deal with their chronic or serious injury.

Tournements/competitions are the arenas to hurt people, within the sporting rules, but in a dojo/gym, safety of your fighting partners ought to be on our minds.

Osu
    Last edited by charlie echo; 11/23/2011 4:22pm at .

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 3:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: brazilian jujustu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai dominates because of the fighters ability to switch and adapted to the fighter he or she is facing you mix that with a little bit of brazilian jujitsu and you tank over everything but remember humility is everything show pride but dont get cocky cause there is ALWAYS someone better but i have to give props to every fighter and their getting punched in the face and keep going and not back down takes talent and i love when i see dedicated fighters in the gym even after it's time to end it gives other something to work for and shows that people that you wanna better yourself and thats what makes a great fighter its not just the style
    Last edited by rileystar; 11/29/2011 3:41pm at . Reason: grammar
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast