Page 5 of 9 First 123456789 Last
  1. #41

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    2,436
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    Dropping people on their head is a very good finishing maneuver.

    *

    I've trained both Muay Thai and San Shou. I'm better suited to San Shou, I don't know why. After saying that though I like the fact that Muay Thai toughens their fighters up better than most San Shou fighters.
    You had said in your videos you had no formal MT training.

    Why must you turn this into a house of lies?

  2. #42

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    171
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    You had said in your videos you had no formal MT training.

    Why must you turn this into a house of lies?
    maybe between then and now he's had some training?

  3. #43

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,469
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwatcher
    maybe between then and now he's had some training?
    Either that or I never considered my training formal and exclusively Muay Thai.

    Seriously when I originally put the first quote I'm like "Damn, maybe I should be more forth coming..." then I'm like "nah, nobody will bother with the difference".....then I saw the quote and I'm like "**** anal retentive asshole..."

  4. #44
    Vorpal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    A Hell of my own making
    Posts
    3,082
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I demand this goes to MABS!

  5. #45
    MMAMickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,742
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    PS....I also think San Shou fighters have better hands.
    might be true in your case but the majority of fighters i met when i used to train in sanshou used more kicks than anything else.. i almost felt stupid for wanting to punch them lol.

  6. #46
    TheMightyMcClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,456
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwatcher
    I think head kicks work pretty good if you're in punching range, since your opponent isn't expecting it. Its used well in kyokushin, but then again they don't have head punches.
    Yeah, the lack of head punching kind of nescessitates head kicking.
    I feel like one of the problems in San Shou is that people still play for points too much, rather than trying to work towards a knockout, which is kinda nescessary if you want to be a striker in MMA. San Shou is getting away from the point playing more and more as it evolves, especially at the professional level, but it still seems like a lot of fighters would prefer to rack up points with big throws instead of trying to KO their opponent.

  7. #47
    Sang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,247
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    I don't know if I would agree with that, the bit about punching being better, specifically. Kicks generate a lot more power and in Kickboxing matches they hurt a lot more because your shins aren't covered by 12 ounces of padding. If you can score a clean, hard headkick chances are you will knock your opponent out. Although I guess the same could be said for a right cross.
    Over here even the amateur level of MT is no shinpads or headgear, mouth-guard and instep protector only. I would never argue that kicks are not important, with my height i really should learn how to head kick better. What i would argue is that it is possible to get by with subpar kicking skills if you have good hands in western MT, but the opposite is not true. We have a few ex-pro boxers fighting in our gym with very ordinary kicks but good defense destroying a lot of the kicking competition.

  8. #48
    MMAMickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,742
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang
    Over here even the amateur level of MT is no shinpads or headgear
    i rarely compete without headgear as i'm training to be a lawyer and need my head intact.. does this make me a bad person? lol

  9. #49

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    171
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Yeah, the lack of head punching kind of nescessitates head kicking.
    I feel like one of the problems in San Shou is that people still play for points too much, rather than trying to work towards a knockout, which is kinda nescessary if you want to be a striker in MMA. San Shou is getting away from the point playing more and more as it evolves, especially at the professional level, but it still seems like a lot of fighters would prefer to rack up points with big throws instead of trying to KO their opponent.
    I completly agree, I find that the schools (the ones I know of) encourage racking up points vs knockouts or damaging the opponent.

  10. #50
    MrBadGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Seven Seas of Rhye
    Posts
    2,899
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey
    i rarely compete without headgear as i'm training to be a lawyer and need my head intact.. does this make me a bad person? lol
    No. Training to be a lawyer makes you a bad person.

    (Hopes Samuel Browning doesn't read this)

Page 5 of 9 First 123456789 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO