Sponsored Links Spacer Image

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 9:48am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i tend to think that the reason that MT gyms tend to produce more fighters is that there are a lot more venues to fight in for MT fighters, and there is a real emphasis on actually getting in the ring at those gyms.

sanda gyms generally are part of traditional kung fu schools, and so a good part of the student body aren't interested in getting in the ring, and go to sanda classes just to get some fight skills and spar a bit. if they do have serious fighters, then they usually only have a couple.

add in that there really aren't that many venues to compete in, and it becomes hard to find a sanda fighter who has a lot of experience.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 9:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ming, do you know of any Sanda gyms in the North Jersey area?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 10:06am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal
    Ming, do you know of any Sanda gyms in the North Jersey area?
    unfortunately i don't know much of anything about north jersey (native nyc boy here.)

if you find some schools that are offering sanda i can try to check up on them, however.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 10:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I looked awhile ago, I couldn't find anything (my google fu is lacking so I thought you might know about something I missed). Thanks though.

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 11:09am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    i tend to think that the reason that MT gyms tend to produce more fighters is that there are a lot more venues to fight in for MT fighters, and there is a real emphasis on actually getting in the ring at those gyms.

sanda gyms generally are part of traditional kung fu schools, and so a good part of the student body aren't interested in getting in the ring, and go to sanda classes just to get some fight skills and spar a bit. if they do have serious fighters, then they usually only have a couple.

add in that there really aren't that many venues to compete in, and it becomes hard to find a sanda fighter who has a lot of experience.
    Qouted for truth.

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 1:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega

Cung Lee is changing peoples outlook on stand up completely

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 1:22pm

Style: San shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cung le is my hero

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 1:29pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    I don't know if I would agree with that, the bit about punching being better, specifically. Kicks generate a lot more power and in Kickboxing matches they hurt a lot more because your shins aren't covered by 12 ounces of padding. If you can score a clean, hard headkick chances are you will knock your opponent out. Although I guess the same could be said for a right cross.

Clean hard headkicks are rare. Body kicks rarely do more then score points as they bounce off your opponents arms.

Even in kickboxing there are fat more knockoutts by hand then by kicks.

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 2:08pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Headkick KOs are a beautiful thing, rare as they are. Work best in my experience coming off of a flurry of hand striked to the head and body, not out of the blue or coming off of a kick combo. And as pretty and satisfying as it can be, you're probably much better off clinching and kneeing to the head and face. You'll stay more balanced and in a better defensive position while increasing your chances at effectiveness, and can still easily gain a KO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 2:38pm

Style: San shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think head kicks work pretty good if you're in punching range, since your opponent isn't expecting it. Its used well in kyokushin, but then again they don't have head punches.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast