Sponsored Links Spacer Image

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    12/01/2003 2:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That link to the quiz takes me to the Discovery Channel Store.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

shadow weight

Posted On:
    12/01/2003 2:29pm

supporting member
     Style: yes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah they're tricky, huh? right click and copy the target and then paste it into the link window after you've gone to the store.
    Now or never.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2003 3:02pm

Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi there. This is someone who knows ZERO about martial arts, literally, but wants to learn.

In fact, I want to learn full contact M.A. in order to learn how to really defend myself. Unfortunately, I live in a very small city with very few dojos, and they all look suspiciously like those that grant black belts to anyone able to follow the forms, regardless of skill .:(

Anyway; the point being, I think XMA's intention, whether it succeeds or not, is to take traditional martial arts, then make it look "matrix-like" to lure more peopple into the sport. Emphasizing the ART rather than the Martial in that regard. And from this utterly uneducated noobie, it looks great!

But in the end, I dont want something that LOOKs great - I want something that emphasizes the MARTIAL, and be sure it works in case I have to defend myself. And unfortunately, I'm not sure if I have that option where I live currently. Sigh....

Posted On:
    12/01/2003 3:02pm

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heeheehee... Found this on the XMA forum:

Iím a hardcore student of Tea Kwon Do.
    Yeah, that sounds about right.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/01/2003 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, where do you currently live?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2003 3:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally loved the point sparring when they would freeze frame the actual point - beautiful fully extended punches to the face that could not possibly due any damage under any circumstances (even if he hit with 2600 pounds per square inch) because they were fully extended on impact.

I'm not a fan of point sparring at all, but they could at least only call a point when a punch is thrown, and it clearly could continue to be extended through the target!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/01/2003 3:17pm

supporting member
     Style: SECRET DEADLY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    " Anyway; the point being, I think XMA's intention, whether it succeeds or not, is to take traditional martial arts, then make it look "matrix-like" to lure more peopple into the sport. Emphasizing the ART rather than the Martial in that regard. And from this utterly uneducated noobie, it looks great! "

I think the point was to have all the tourny teams pay big bucks to get to train with them. buy their products and use thier technology to rate thier team. XMA the standard to train by.
    ----------------------------------------
    After reading Jekyll's threads I bring back an old sig.......

Do you really train or just bore people on message boards and parties talking about it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2003 3:31pm

Style: Chu-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    XMA--what a load of horse crap. I watched the whole thing just so I would have the right to trash the WHOLE SHOW. The "inventor" of XMA said he had never been in a streetfight and therefore never had to test his ability. Good thing or he wouldn't have been a part of the show. If the purpose of XMA is to be entertaining to the masses then they should NEVER attempt to spar. The name Extreme Martial Arts conjurs up images of blood, broken bones, and grotesquely twisted arms and legs. All it delivers is a bunch of queer gymnastic wanabes. They should call it extreme martial gymnastics.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2003 11:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, Morfedel. Welcome to the website!

"Anyway; the point being, I think XMA's intention, whether it succeeds or not, is to take traditional martial arts, then make it look "matrix-like" to lure more peopple into the sport."

Ah, my friend. You have discovered the true meaning of "Bullshido" in only your first post here.

"...But in the end, I dont want something that LOOKs great - I want something that emphasizes the MARTIAL, and be sure it works in case I have to defend myself."

That is the same for most, if not all, of us here. I think I speak for the rest of us when I say that we don't have a problem with "martial arts" (and I use that term loosly) that are all about flashy moves as long as they're up front about it. We DO have a problem with those same styles advertising themselves as "self defense" martial arts, though.

Again, welcome to the forum, and I wish you well in your search for a good school. Perhaps you could post a request for a recommendation. Maybe someone in your area knows of a good school.

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    12/02/2003 12:12am

Style: World 10-3 Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Point sparring: where theory gets a bloody nose"

That statement hit me like cement truck.
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567