Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 4:14pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RegularJoe
    Maybe it's my diet.
    There's no maybe about it. Exercising won't actually make you lose weight unless you are controlling your diet.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 4:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why don't you start by listing your average daily diet and take it from there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 6:10pm

Style: Savate, Combatives(BJJ)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
    Why don't you start by listing your average daily diet and take it from there.

Dont really put much thought to it, fast food sometimes, but usually just chinese or I make my own.
    I drink a bit too

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 6:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK...good start.
    For the next couple of days, log down everything you are eating and post a diary of what you ate, how much and when and we can make some suggestions for alternatives.

I would begin by cutting down (or out) the fast food and takeaway food as well as the excessive drinking. This should help with your gut.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 8:27pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
    I would begin by cutting down (or out) the fast food and takeaway food as well as the excessive drinking. This should help with your gut.
    Although a response of "the less, the better" is pretty obvious, I'm still curious: For these purposes, what would you consider "excessive"? A beer a week, a beer a day, a beer for breakfast, lunch, and dinner...?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 8:41pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Posture.
    Yeah, that usually has a lot to do. Seriously.

On the off case the gut is really indomitable, it's always diet. Always, always always.

To the OP: Nix the sugars, nix the high sodium foods, nix the sodas, all the carbs you take in the afternoon, cut them in half (for starters... you don't want to get rid of all your carbs, though). Add more fibrous greens (.ie. brocolli, raw microwaved brocolli).

When it comes to junk food, get it without the sauce, without the mayo and cheese. Ask for a piece of lemon and some salt and pepper for giving it flavor. Your fries, ask them without salt, and pat them a little with napkins (to remove some of the fat.)

And then, ask the junk food sandwich/burger to be cut in half. That's two meals instead of one. The fries is another, third meal. This change, eating a burger as two meals and the fries as snack, each separated by 2-5 hours, instead of gobbling it in one single sitting, this is the most important type of change you can make.

Avoid Chinese take-out like the plague... or at least, limit the food intake for a day a week (your "free" day to eat what you like... with moderation.)

Fruit juices: check those that are low in sugar. If it has more than 30g of sugar per serving, nix them. Get some hermetic containers and mix half of your fruit juice with water and some splenda. That'd be your drink for the day.

At night, 8 to 12oz of plain yogurt with some lemon on top of microwave brocolli 2-3 times a night as your snack before bedtime.

Stop drinking and walk upright (WhiteShark hit it pretty much on the head with this.) Puff your chest and tuck your gut. It encourages good posture and gives you a mental picture of how you'd like to look and stand (a target to aim at, a motivator.)

Start doing whichever suggestions mentioned above if you haven't started already. Most likely you will see a lot of changes in 8-12 weeks after applying these principles.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 8:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to say "Cut out the Beer and refined carbs, but better yet ask El Macho"

But seeing as how Macho beat me to it, this has become a rather transparent attempt at post whoring....

Damnit....

Just follow Macho's advice....

*Mutter, grumble*
    Last edited by JingMerchant!; 6/17/2008 10:46am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 9:00pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No matter what you do, you will have to create a calorie deficit to lose the bodyfat.

For myself, I found that simply eliminating alcohol and refined sugar made things a lot easier for me ... huge impact in both keeping bodyfat down and overall condtioning, strength, and energy levels.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 9:28pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to chime in, you have to ask yourself why you want six pack abs.

In my experience, women don't like them in practice as much as they claim to like them among their friends. The most beautiful women I know are married to, or dating, men with a bit around the middle. This includes my wife.

Many women aren't looking for physical perfection in their man, for a variety of reasons.

But if you're gay, please ignore the above. I've been told by gay acquaintances that six pack abs are very sought after in their dating community.

To echo the above fantastic advice, cut out refined carbs and high glycemic carbs (sugar, rice, corn syrup, potatoes, white flour etc), reduce alcohol to no more than 2 drinks per day (or cut it out altogether....I wouldn't, but I probably should), and otherwise keep your calorie intake below your calorie consuption. And learn to love your handles.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast