Posted On:
    6/16/2008 1:27pm

Style: Savate, Combatives(BJJ)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Indomitable Gut

Hey guys.

I've got a problem.
    You see, I've got a gut, the kind of gut that seems abnormal considering the rest of my body is pretty skinny, and I just cannot seem to get rid of it. I do sit ups, I do flutter kicks, I run miles a day most days, but no matter what I do or how active I am I just cannot get rid of this gut.
    It's embarassing, trying to suck it in when I'm wearing T-shirts and such.

I'm dead serious here, anybody got any suggestions?

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 1:48pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where fat accumulates is pretty much genetic; working your abs is going to put more muscle under the fat, but it's not going to do anything about the fat (beyond what any exercise will do). There's no such thing as targeted fat loss. Therefore, work on reducing your body fat percentage (be careful what you eat, etc. -- sounds like you already get plenty of exercise), or just blame genetics and bitch about it (my solution).

If any of this is novel or helpful information I will be rather surprised, but alas, it seems there's no very good cure for the Male Belly.

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 1:59pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you drink beer regularly? How is your diet in general?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 2:10pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Posture.

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 2:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The gut is normal. Working the abs will bulk up the gut, but--as already mentioned--will do nothing about the extra stored energy/protective padding positioned over the abs you develop.

This from a kinesiology grad who does hundreds of crunch/situp combos nonstop every morning, eats no meat and little dairy...and still enjoys some over-the-belt prominence. No problem: it lowers my C. of G. and gives me some extra size-effect visually.

Ripped abs are for shrimp weight-classes (anything under 200 lbs.) and pansy magazine-cover boy-toys. They ain't natural, so leave 'em to those who enjoy unnatural lifestyles.

In other words, your only problem is that you think you have a problem. If you work out that area and you eat right...well, then, you don't.

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 2:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand

Ripped abs are for shrimp weight-classes (anything under 200 lbs.) and pansy magazine-cover boy-toys. They ain't natural, so leave 'em to those who enjoy unnatural lifestyles.

In other words, your only problem is that you think you have a problem. If you work out that area and you eat right...well, then, you don't.

****. Jealous much? Everyone is built differently. I stuff my face all day long and I don't have a fat gut hanging over my belt. I see the point you were trying to make, but it's far from a reason to assume that ANYONE with 6 pack abs are unhealthy.

AGREED ON: Do what feels right. If you feel strong and healthy, then try not to worry about it. If you are slugging around, lacking cardio, than it's time to change something.
    Last edited by BudoMonkey; 6/16/2008 2:30pm at .

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 2:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    ****. Jealous much? Everyone is built differently. I stuff my face all day long and I don't have a fat gut hanging over my belt. I see the point you were trying to make, but it's far from a reason to assume that ANYONE with 6 pack abs are unhealthy.

AGREED ON: Do what feels right. If you feel strong and healthy, then try not to worry about it. If you are slugging around, lacking cardio, than it's time to change something.
    In answer to your first question, uh, no. My wife likes me as I am, and what hangs over my belt, you couldn't pinch an inch on. Half-an-inch maybe.

Also, I didn't state that bumboy abs were unhealthy. The word was "unnatural"--as in "doesn't often occur in nature." Sure they can be healthy. So what? Among bumboys, using KY is healthier than not using it.

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 2:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh no man, I get you. My abs are indeed entirely unnatural and require more effort than they are worth.

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 3:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    My abs are indeed entirely unnatural...
    All things being relative, maybe they aren't unnatural for you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 3:44pm

Style: Savate, Combatives(BJJ)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in good shape, that I'm sure of, but I just still have this beerguttish thing.
    Maybe it's my diet.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast