Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Safe Body Fat Percentage for Competition?

I'm getting my body fat percentage checked tonight, as I want to drop to 136 for an upcoming tournament (I walk at a comfortable 155, I just dropped to 145 but lost some strength because I fasted stupidly, and I'm thinking if I can make 136 then I'll clean house in that bracket. I routinely walk all over the few guys in that weight class during training).

I'm guestimating that my body fat is between 8% and 14%...but I've heard that dropping below a certain point gets dangerous...especially for "join intensive" endeavors like grappling.

Opinions? Experiences?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    I'm getting my body fat percentage checked tonight, as I want to drop to 136 for an upcoming tournament (I walk at a comfortable 155, I just dropped to 145 but lost some strength because I fasted stupidly, and I'm thinking if I can make 136 then I'll clean house in that bracket. I routinely walk all over the few guys in that weight class during training).

I'm guestimating that my body fat is between 8% and 14%...but I've heard that dropping below a certain point gets dangerous...especially for "join intensive" endeavors like grappling.

Opinions? Experiences?
    Experiences: none

Opinions: get you bf% checked.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The essential body fat % needed for a typical male is 3 - 5%. When you get bellow that you can start having issues with your internal organs, joints, etc.

If your between 8 - 14% you shouldn't have a problem with your joint. You may have some strength, energy, and dehydration issues if your droping so much weight however

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    anything above 6% is fine.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by benonmsn
    anything above 6% is fine.
    Oh good, my 40% body fat is fine then. :happy:

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    100% BODY FAT.

No muscles, no bones, no problem. That's my motto.

I dunno, ever watch the show Ninja Warrior? If not, check it out on youtube.
    One of the best competitors is a fireman from gifu provence who they constantly mention has only 3% body fat, and he's athletic as all hell. So I would trust the guy who said anything above 3-5% is ok. It really has more to do with where you are comfortable. 3% is fine is you have worked and conditioned to it, but if you were to drop from 10-5% overnight, you would porbably feel like ****.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    100% BODY FAT.

No muscles, no bones, no problem. That's my motto.

I dunno, ever watch the show Ninja Warrior? If not, check it out on youtube.
    One of the best competitors is a fireman from gifu provence who they constantly mention has only 3% body fat, and he's athletic as all hell. So I would trust the guy who said anything above 3-5% is ok. It really has more to do with where you are comfortable. 3% is fine is you have worked and conditioned to it, but if you were to drop from 10-5% overnight, you would porbably feel like ****.
    My fiance and I were watching Ninja Warrior when that guy was competing and she starting talking about how ripped he was, how perfect his body was, blah blah blah.

**** him, I'm glad he lost in the third challenge

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori

Opinions? Experiences?
    I'd be more worried about losing too much too fast instead of %body fat.

I thought no more than 2lbs / week (not including water) was the safe rule of thumb.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ugh, I tested my body fat tonight, and came out at 4.8% to 5.1%.

I call bullshit, as I'm not THAT cut...and I'm going to corner the resident body builder and have her pinch me. I used one of those electronic thinga ma jiggers...and I've heard those aren't always accurate.

****, if I'm at 5% now, then I can't safely drop 10 lbs to hit the next weight class.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah, don't cut any more weight. The machine you used can't be THAT innacurate. How tall are you again?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last