Good work, you'll do better next time!
Vote +1 for the CM shell - basically the first thing you learn in JB Will Shootfighting.
Dude, I'm so jealous. Congrats on your first fight, man. Good showing even though you didn't get the win. I'd attempt to give advice and ****, but I'd be damned if I let myself get included with the armchair general motherfuckers who haven't fought yet but like to preach the good word.
I have a couple inquiries.
1) How Old are you?
2) How long have you been training?
3) What's your Martial Arts background?
4) How did it feel in the cage? Nervous? Excited?
5) Did you feel like you performed up to what you expected.
Good ****, man. Good ****.
Originally Posted by Goju - joe
Thanks man ;).
Originally Posted by The Question
1. 37 (He's 21)
2. 23 years (7 months MMA)
3. TKD since 85, FMA since 90ish, a year of Tai Chi (heh), some KF, a year on/off of JKD/WC, then some other smatterings and some I'm sure I've forgotten in there.
4. I was completely calm, kind of.. just silent? Then a kind of nervous intensity hit as we started.
5. I felt completely too hesitant in there. I'd expected a bull rush and got a completely different fight. Watching it, I needed to be a ton more active on the bottom; I was able to recover half-guard from head/arm-side control, so that was ok. But then I needed to continue the ground attack and get back to closed guard or an extended guard so he'd stop teeing off on my skull ;p. Then go for a sweep or sub, but plans met fight and it was survival mode heh.
The most damage in the fight? That first kick he did, I have a big purple bruise heh.
I think I just need to work on the 'killer instinct' more. Learn to launch rather than hold back once I've created an opening. It's hard to see on that vid, but 1:02 after the 45 kick to his head, at that point I should have followed with the hands or a nice knee etc. But hey, hindsight 20/20 heh.
I should have a better angle of the fight (from top of the cage) in a month or so and I'll bump the thread with it. Maybe a little better view of me covering up (and when I didn't heh).
Good work man - it took some moxy to get in there with a guy who's 26 years your Junior. I would recommend working your half guard more for your next fight. Work on getting the underhooks and getting up on your side.
Yep yep, although he was only 16 years younger heh (only lol).
I froze in half instead of continuing to work for position, and man underhooks would have changed that takedown hehehe. Next time!
Good job man. It's tough stepping in that cage!
Well done DSL, it really could've gone either way. True grit.
Thanks man, it really gave me a few things to work on in the coming months.
You Came, You Saw, You Conquered....Your First FIght, You Have My Admiration
Now That Number One is out of the way, You will have more time to focus on your Win for Your Second Fight.
Most definitely. Filming every single one too, best tool for learning wtf I did and didn't do.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO