Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/15/2008 9:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TuKong, KickBoxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hip locking...

Hi all, Wasnt sure exactly where to post this, but im having some trouble with my left hip/pelvis-ey area. When im practicing or sparring and do kicks with my left leg, theres some sort of lockage in it towards innerish groin area. I dont know what could be making it do that, but its annoying trying to stretch and spar and need a left kick when it feels like somethings holding my leg down at the hip. Example: Front snap kick to sidekick, something just feels like its not moving right in my joints/bones and keeping me from achieving a higher or more powerful kick. Any ideas as to what could be wrong or what I could do to release strain or locking on my hip/pelvis area?? Thanks in advance.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    6/15/2008 10:40am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have an inflexible outer hip, but I find that proper alignment and movement usually solves most of the problem after a lengthy warmup.

For me and muay thai, it was about popping the hip over. I was trying to throw the kick square, and it hurt like a bitch.

When you warm up, pay especial attention to your whole hip region - do knee raises, raise and circle the knees outside and inside, make sure you stretch the IT band, etc.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/15/2008 11:47am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judah Maccabee
    I have an inflexible outer hip, but I find that proper alignment and movement usually solves most of the problem after a lengthy warmup.

For me and muay thai, it was about popping the hip over. I was trying to throw the kick square, and it hurt like a bitch.

When you warm up, pay especial attention to your whole hip region - do knee raises, raise and circle the knees outside and inside, make sure you stretch the IT band, etc.
    Thanks alot for the info. Ill try in the morning when I stretch mostly and run and practice all my forms. Any pointers on a kick with a wierd hip on alignment ect?

edit: My main problem is when im at school and were practicing slap/front kick to side kick in unison, my hip just doesnt line up right im guessing. So idk what else to do except woking on my stretching ect.

Best regards,
    Alex

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    6/15/2008 2:14pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's an issue with a side kick, possibly your foot that you're planting isn't coming around so that your toes are pointing backwards.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    6/15/2008 2:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does your hip lock in the kicking leg or in your standing leg?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/15/2008 9:13pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by f4n4n
    Does your hip lock in the kicking leg or in your standing leg?
    Once I get my knee up I feel it, then it gives some pain once I go into the sidekick. Its almost like when you pop a joint out of place and then you can move back and you can feel it go back. When I lift I feel my inner thigh and inner pelvis-y area pop sorta and not want to extend then once I go back down I feel 2 pops like its going back in place, with some decent pain.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/15/2008 9:15pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also when I sit indian style or feet together knees up stretching position and rotate to the left theres quite an immense pain.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/15/2008 10:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not a doctor or anything close. I am a TKD'r who has experienced a lot of pains from kicking excessively. that being said:

I had a pain a lot like this in my hip, any time I sat cross-legged or in a butterfly stretch i got pain, most kicks when done too forcefully caused pain. It was scar tissue from some unknown trauma (possibly when i dislocated my leg at my hip when i was really young) but I did exercises during my physical therapy with the intent to strengthen my hip girdle. As soon as my hip girdle strength increased i also noticed less locking and popping. this led my therapist to believe my hip just needed some more muscular support and I had gotten away with cheating on that side for a while to get to that point. not surprising given that I had limped on the leg for months before getting treated. After a couple weeks of doing those exercises it seemed i had torn up the scar tissue enough that it wont be bothering me (until I am sedentary enough for it to solidify again... unlikely!).

I wish i could remember what I did specifically other than side-stepping and monster-walking with a band around my ankles. I think using a stability ball for hamstring curls and jackknives forces your hip girdle to work but I bet there are some people here who know more precisely. I can post videos of the stability ball work as I do actually have one and still do these regularly.
    Last edited by Kaoz; 6/15/2008 10:29pm at . Reason: spellaing

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/15/2008 10:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz
    I am not a doctor or anything close. I am a TKD'r who has experienced a lot of pains from kicking excessively. that being said:

I had a pain a lot like this in my hip, any time I sat cross-legged or in a butterfly stretch i got pain, most kicks when done too forcefully caused pain. It was scar tissue from some unknown trauma (possibly when i dislocated my leg at my hip when i was really young) but I did exercises during my physical therapy with the intent to strengthen my hip girdle. As soon as my hip girdle strength increased i also noticed less locking and popping. this led my therapist to believe my hip just needed some more muscular support and I had gotten away with cheating on that side for a while to get to that point. not surprising given that I had limped on the leg for months before getting treated. After a couple weeks of doing those exercises it seemed i had torn up the scar tissue enough that it wont be bothering me (until I am sedentary enough for it to solidify again... unlikely!).

I wish i could remember what I did specifically other than side-stepping and monster-walking with a band around my ankles. I think using a stability ball for hamstring curls and jackknives forces your hip girdle to work but I bet there are some people here who know more precisely. I can post videos of the stability ball work as I do actually have one and still do these regularly.
    That sounds like it could be my problem, the way you explained it is how my hip feels. If you can post some vids of excersises I could do to help that would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/15/2008 11:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think i can have them up tommorrow. That being said if you have health insurance you should get an appointment to your doctor, explain what you do for ma's and that it constitutes and athletic activity. Hopefully this will make it clear enough to him/her that you need physical therapy. You would do well to tell your therapist this info as well because a lot of them are expecting the average joe who just wants to be able to sleep and walk up the stairs to his desk comfortably.

I'll show you the exercises but there may be differences in your symptom from mine that would be easy to show during an exam but not on a forum. What if your pain is ligament or tendon? Doing the stuff I did during an intensive leg strengthening/neuromuscular training regimen may not be appropriate right off the bat if what you're feeling ISNT scar tissue.

Just dont want you to **** yourself up plus we're all gonna be old one day take care of your hips.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast