Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 8:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please let us know how the chains work out. I'm interested in those myself.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 8:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure they'll be great, but if you wanna do some supplemental reading, head to westside-barbell.com and elitefts.com to find articles on them.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 8:23pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    +rep on the v-handle chin ups (my favorite way of getting my pulls done.)

Pretty much what RM said. I'd also echo the suggestion to try the oly approach, even with straps. Pretty much since I don't have a squat rack (yet) and can't handle much weight (yet) the oly version off a clean has been my staple for the last couple of days. Something about pushing the elbows upward to make "the rack" forces the back to be much much vertical than with the old bbuilder hold we are used to.

You can also tell what RM is saying regarding delayed glute activation when your butt shoots back and then forward (see how your butt occilates back and then the hips fire forward at 0:36). The hips should extend from the bottom up to the front without going back IMO. That's exactly the same thing I do when I do the front squat with the bbuilder hold as I'm approaching my max.

On a side note, given that I'm 99.99% certain it was the back squat that did it to me on my back, I think I will stick with the front squat for max lifts for quite a while (using deads, very high step ups and glute-ham raises for more ham-oriented lifts.)

On another side note (and I could be very wrong in this), is that the bbuilder hold gives much better emphasis on the thorax when doing a higher number of reps (8-12), but as the load gets heavier (4 reps or less) I find it very hard on the shoulders and I eventually end up curving my back and pop my butt back and the forwards and up.

Out of curiosity, have you used the chains for the front squat? And how heavy are those chains?
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 6/16/2008 8:28pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 8:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No idea how much they weigh, they're 5 feet lengths of 1/2 chain, so if someone wants to figure that out they can.

Hopefully I'll be able to fix the glute weakness in time. I think elevating the bar might be just the thing.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 10:57am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think it's weakness per se. It's just that when there's a significant strength difference (front to back, in this case) the weaker muscles tend to "shut down."

I would recommend some light gluteal activation work at the beginning of your workouts and then relatively light weight to ensure that the posterior chain is engaged right from the bottom of squat and DL variations.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    X-band side walks.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123