Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2003 2:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jon Bluming has gone to mostly open hand strikes.

K and others - some good posts here.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2003 3:20pm

Style: Yin Ten Do / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by NorwoodBloke
    Kali has moves that attack the opponents fists with glancing blows from your elbows when defending, bare knuckle boxers sometimes intentionally take blows on the hard part of their skull for the same effect and vale tudo fighters often slap instead of hooking to protect their hands.
    The hands aren't weak you just need to be careful what you do with them in training.
    That is soooooooooooooo wierd... my amatur self-learned kata has something like this. I've never seen Vale Tudo or Kali stuff...

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    12/01/2003 6:37pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have a qigong for the hands, but i'm not sharing it with you bastards of bullshido!

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    12/01/2003 7:08pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer open handed strikes. First things first, I can't deal with punches well and I don't like using them, but if I can hit someone while attampting to grab them, well palm heel's good and a lot nicer on my hands.

No matter how much instruction I get and how perfect a boxing guy says my left hook looks, after ten jab-cross-hooks my left wrist is killing me on the hook, ick. Without a target it looks fine, but I think the deal is, every time I throw my hook, my hand ends up rolling inwards...... fucking annoying.

While the palm heel presents the problem of the hand possibly being bent backwards against the wrist (ow) I very rarely encounter that kind of problem.

But hey, punchinghas worked and continues to work good for billions of people now and throughout history ^_^ must be something to it I'm fucking up!

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    12/01/2003 7:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like doing shitloads of knuckle puchups and striking a punching bag for hand/knuckle conditioning. I agree 100% with what has been said. A clenched fist should be used to strike flesh/muscle/tissue. Using open hand palm strikes are just as powerful as the fist.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    12/01/2003 8:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you should always use the abdomen as the target in stupid drunken punch fights

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2003 8:58pm

Style: mma, TAKEDOWNS

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxers have told me that if you hit someone (even with gloves) properly, you will feel it in the back of your hand and in your wrist, unless you wrap your hands. I dunno since I don't wrap my hands (too cheap to buy em), but I just finished a test and pretty much most parts of my hand(s) is (are) sore. We had to end the test with sparring so i'm sure my technique had dwindled after an hour.

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    12/02/2003 2:06am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kunt was pretty much correct. I wouldn't advise hitting a hard bag though.

I favor open handed strikes to the head these days.
  9. 9chambers

Posted On:
    12/02/2003 3:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you said that you had proper alignement, how do we know that's true? Can you describe this alignment?

(just exploring other things that could have gone wrong)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2003 5:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Did you have a tight fist? Your fist should be so tight that you can't even stick a finger inside it."

- No! It shouldn't!

"The hand is a structurally weak part of the body due to the number of bones and joints in it.
    Itís a disaster waiting to happen."

- Exactly.

"Boxers have told me that if you hit someone (even with gloves) properly, you will feel it in the back of your hand and in your wrist, unless you wrap your hands."

- Yeah, you do. Once you can really hit the bag hard, you have to wrap your hands or you will hurt them.

Bottom line: if you hit something hard enough, you will break your hand - like Mike Tyson did in a streetfight. No correct usage of wrist alignment or stupid conditioning regime will save you.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast