Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 5:31pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    indeed, royce may know BJJ, but how well has he actually used it?

Stfu, yes, blah blah, ufc 1-4, etc. I know, i know, however, did he really do anything that was that high level? Did he do anything that a freakin' blue belt (or advanced white belt) couldn't do? Keep in mind, those people had no grappling training what so ever...

You saw how well he did against matt hughes...couldnt even get full guard...

And sakuraba? Yoshida? enough said.

Oh wait, no, he got choked out by Wallid, i almost forgot.

How many pan-ams, mundials, worlds, ADCC championships, etc has he won?
    Thank God someone FINALLY said it.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 6:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo1717
    Thank God someone FINALLY said it.
    Your welcome, also, Laimon said something to taht effect, as well

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 8:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ,prowrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dropnroll
    I didn't mean to hate on the guy, and your right drilling is good but not the real thing. I just want to see submission defence or maybe an attempted guard pass, something that shows he training this stuff you know. He's a beast of course he can tackle and throw haymakers that stuff takes the "mixed" out of it .

yeah i think if Brock come in without that prowrestling background behind him he wouldn't of faced Mir,But since he did he had to fight a known guy or he would of been slammed by MMA fans claiming "oh they gave him a tuna can" instead of realsing the guy has had ONE fight (before Mir) so what is he even doing in there with Mir to began with?

But since he did fight Mir i think he did very well since it was his 2nd fight ever but i hope they move him down the card abit and just let him work on his EXP and submissions against guys at the same EXP level that he has but they won't so it's trial by fire

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 9:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    indeed, royce may know BJJ, but how well has he actually used it?

Stfu, yes, blah blah, ufc 1-4, etc. I know, i know, however, did he really do anything that was that high level? Did he do anything that a freakin' blue belt (or advanced white belt) couldn't do? Keep in mind, those people had no grappling training what so ever...
    Slow down, there, Mi-ho. You're getting a little bit ahead of yourself. For starters, Royce is 1-1 against both Yoshida and Sakuraba, (with Yoshida's "submission" victory being somewhat questionable, and the Sakuraba victory coming after 90 minutes of fighting.)

Secondly, can we please stop this nonsense that the only competitors in the early UFCs were Rex-Kwon-Do practicioners whose knowledge of groundwork amounted to "curl into the fetal position"? Just off the top of my head:

Ken Shamrock: At the time, King of Pancrase and undefeated in NHB fighting, definitely knew his submissions.
    Remcoe Pardue (not sure on spelling): Judo black belt
    Dan Severn: Very accomplished amateur wrestler, at one time held the record for number one wins by pin in amateur wrestling.
    Jason Delucia: When he fought Royce in the UFC, he had just earned a blue belt in Brazilian (not Gracie) Jiu Jitsu.

Thirdly, using Royce's performance against Matt Hughes in an MMA match to discredit his BJJ is just silly. I know their acronyms sound almost identical, but BJJ is not the same thing as MMA. Marcelo Garcia is 0-1 in MMA, I guess his jiu jitsu and grappling must suck diseased dog wang.

And Mark Laimon is a punk. This is the guy who mouthed off at Matt Serra, but when challenged to back it up retorted "I'll fight you under any rules you want, but there can't be any striking!" which makes him a bitch as well as a punk.
    Last edited by Vince Tortelli; 6/17/2008 9:36pm at .

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 9:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    Slow down, there, Mi-ho. You're getting a little bit ahead of yourself. For starters, Royce is 1-1 against both Yoshida and Sakuraba, (with Yoshida's "submission" victory being somewhat questionable, and the Sakuraba victory coming after 90 minutes of fighting.)

Secondly, can we please stop this nonsense that the only competitors in the early UFCs were Rex-Kwon-Do practicioners whose knowledge of groundwork amounted to "curl into the fetal position"? Just off the top of my head:

Ken Shamrock: At the time, King of Pancrase and undefeated in NHB fighting, definitely knew his submissions.
    Remcoe Pardue (not sure on spelling): Judo black belt
    Dan Severn: Very accomplished amateur wrestler, at one time held the record for number one wins by pin in amateur wrestling.
    Jason Delucia: When he fought Royce in the UFC, he had just earned a blue belt in Brazilian (not Gracie) Jiu Jitsu.

Thirdly, using Royce's performance against Matt Hughes in an MMA match to discredit his BJJ is just silly. I know their acronyms sound almost identical, but MMA is not the same thing as MMA. Marcelo Garcia is 0-1 in MMA, I guess his jiu jitsu and grappling must suck diseased dog wang.

And Mark Laimon is a punk. This is the guy who mouthed off at Matt Serra, but when challenged to back it up retorted "I'll fight you under any rules you want, but there can't be any striking!" which makes him a bitch as well as a punk.
    ahem, Remco...a judo blackbelt? Please, show me where this is stated, please. The judo community had no IDEA who the **** he was until UFC claimed him as a judo world champion. And his jiu jitsu? In europe, jiu jitsu is basically krotty with throws.

Dan severn? If he had even the barest knowledge of what to do, he would have WTFPWNed Roye. If only someone (ahem, Mark Tripp?) trained him after UFC 4...(****, look at UFC 5, how did he learn those awesome moves?

Ken Shamrock? He went for the leg lock and got reversed, then choked out. Ok, did you see their rematch? one big hump fest, if i've ever seen one.

Jason Delucia? Please, present your evidence of his pretty blue belt (also, black belt beating a blue belt!? UN HEARD OF!!!)

I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    I agree with moosey

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 10:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It appears I may have been wrong about Delucia...the only concrete thing I can find is him doing some training with Rickson after the first Royce fight, apparently he got most of his groundwork by studying judo and training with Ken Shamrock.

Regardless, ragging on guys like Royce, Ken, and Dan is just plain immature. I'm sure that if you magically transported a prime Beast, World's Most Dangerous Man, and, umm...whatever Royce's nickname was to present day, they would get manhandled by just about every MMA fighter and ADCC competitor around. That's not the point. The point is, that in their prime, they were the best of the best, and they blazed a trail for today's guys to follow.

And when someone, particularly a lowlife like Laimon, who has never had the cojones to step into the ring, rags on one of the founding fathers of MMA, that tells me all I need to know about the kind of person he is.

If he can tell that Royce has blue belt level skills by watching the fight with Hughes, then he should step in their with the Farmboy and show us what black belt jiu jitsu looks like.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 10:46pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It appears I may have been wrong about Delucia...the only concrete thing I can find is him doing some training with Rickson after the first Royce fight, apparently he got most of his groundwork by studying judo and training with Ken Shamrock.

Regardless, ragging on guys like Royce, Ken, and Dan is just plain immature. I'm sure that if you magically transported a prime Beast, World's Most Dangerous Man, and, umm...whatever Royce's nickname was to present day, they would get manhandled by just about every MMA fighter and ADCC competitor around. That's not the point. The point is, that in their prime, they were the best of the best, and they blazed a trail for today's guys to follow.

And when someone, particularly a lowlife like Laimon, who has never had the cojones to step into the ring, rags on one of the founding fathers of MMA, that tells me all I need to know about the kind of person he is.

If he can tell that Royce has blue belt level skills by watching the fight with Hughes, then he should step in their with the Farmboy and show us what black belt jiu jitsu looks like.
    I never ragged on Ken or Dan, though i think his actions after UFC 5 were remarkably shady...

anyway.

I'm just saying Royce hasn't ever really done anything monumental in jiu jitsu, and i don't know of ANY students he's trained...

I agree with moosey

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 11:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't Rob Kahn get his black belt from Royce?

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 11:13pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't Rob Kahn get his black belt from Royce?
    And to that quarry, i present "who"?

I agree with moosey

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 1:00pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes he did.
    Though outside of nhbgear.com he isn't exactly a household name.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast