Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 8:49pm

Style: CLF, Capoeira, etc.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyone have any experience with Apex Training Center in St. Louis MO?

I'm wondering if anyone has any first hand knowledge regarding this school?

Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2008 11:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wanted to check back and see if anyone has any insight regarding this school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 9:28am

Style: fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari Hodari
    I wanted to check back and see if anyone has any insight regarding this school.
    i do. what specifically would you like to know?

tim

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 12:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    link?
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 12:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2008 7:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello tim_stl. How would you evaluate Apex's program? How did you feel about the training methods? How were the prices?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2008 10:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello tim_stl. How would you evaluate Apex's program? How did you feel about the training methods? How were the prices?
    well, it depends on what you're looking for. apex teaches a few different systems, including three different fma systems. there are a variety of classes, teachers, and training methods, short classes, small class sizes, and anywhere from little resistance to full resistance. any of that can be good or bad, depending on what you're looking for.

as far as the prices, they're comparable with other schools in the area. they've just switched to a new pricing scheme, so i'm not sure about it. they're a lot cheaper than some tkd or karate schools, and much cheaper than a place like vaghi's, but more expensive than some of the smaller gyms around town.

if you could tell me more about what you're looking for, i can tell you whether apex would be a good fit, or if there's another place i could point you to.

tim

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 10:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Tim. I'm interested in dealing with several things:
    1-unarmed combat: particularly with an emphasis on economy of movement
    2-armed combat: stick and knife fighting
    3-weapons disarms: stick, knife, and gun strips

I have a secondary interested in sparring and ground fighting (for combat, not sport).

Thanks in advance for any recommendations that you can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by tim_stl
    well, it depends on what you're looking for. apex teaches a few different systems, including three different fma systems. there are a variety of classes, teachers, and training methods, short classes, small class sizes, and anywhere from little resistance to full resistance. any of that can be good or bad, depending on what you're looking for.

as far as the prices, they're comparable with other schools in the area. they've just switched to a new pricing scheme, so i'm not sure about it. they're a lot cheaper than some tkd or karate schools, and much cheaper than a place like vaghi's, but more expensive than some of the smaller gyms around town.

if you could tell me more about what you're looking for, i can tell you whether apex would be a good fit, or if there's another place i could point you to.

tim

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 9:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Tim. I'm interested in dealing with several things:
    1-unarmed combat: particularly with an emphasis on economy of movement
    2-armed combat: stick and knife fighting
    3-weapons disarms: stick, knife, and gun strips

I have a secondary interested in sparring and ground fighting (for combat, not sport).

Thanks in advance for any recommendations that you can provide.
    1- apex teaches several unarmed methods: jkd (emphasis on economy of movement, little sparring, almost no groundfighting), kali/silat (no sparring, little groundfighting), buno (filipino wrestling- lots of sparring and groundfighting). apex focuses on self-defense and not sport. if that's your interest, there is california martial arts, and also at least one krav maga place if apex doesn't fit you. i have no experience with either place.

2- as for stick and knife fighting, apex is the place to go. three fma are taught by different instructors: inosanto kali (little sparring), serrada eskrima (little sparring), and garimot arnis (lots of sparring). there are also plenty of serrada guys across the river, california martial arts teaches some fma (not sure what kind), a place that teaches eskabo daan in soulard, and some mma gym across the river that does 'stick and knife.' i don't have any experience with those other places, but i know you'll be able to find something you like at apex. there are also balintawak practitioners around, if that interests you.

3- again, apex is my suggestion. if you want to learn to disarm a weapon, you need to learn to use the weapon. i think krav maga also teaches disarms later in the training. i'm not sure if anyone teaches gun disarms at apex, but you could ask around.

come in and give them a try, see if you like it. that's the best way to find out where you'll fit.

tim
    Last edited by tim_stl; 7/03/2008 9:47am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2008 9:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Tim. I'm going to check them out. I'll also check on some of the other places that you mentioned.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast