Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2008 5:10pm

Style: Judo, Wrestling, Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyone know of a site where I can get at home exercises?

I recently had several surgeries done as a result of a car wreck I was in. I was recently given full clearance from the doctor on work out. I realized today my workouts are very repetitive. I have mats, wrist weights, ankle weights, and 200lbs worth of weights, a weight bench, mats and a roller bar. I know that I am not supposed to just do the same exact work outs each day, work on different sections, keep your body guessing. So is there a site I can look up some exercises on? Some simple at home ones. I gained a lot of weight while in recovery and I would like to get close to where I was at. I am at 308lbs right now and I would like to get down to 250lbs by the end of August. I know how to diet properly and I am doing that, but I need a good work out to go with it. I am looking to gain muscle mass, but mainly to be healthy again.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/13/2008 9:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    trainforstrength.com
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2008 10:08pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Big Dozer, my advice is to seek a qualified trainer/rehab expert to guide you through the initial phase of your recovery. This is something your insurance may cover.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2008 12:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They covered physical therapy. Before the accident I was 210lbs with 26%body fat. It has taken over two year to heal up. If I could afford a personal trainer I would get one. Thanks Emevas. I am looking or something a little ont he free side. Money is tight these days.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/14/2008 10:08am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In that case, stronglifts.com - there is the assumption that you'll have access to a squat rack. Otherwise, it's pretty much free. Another one is bodyweightculture.com.

Or for $70-something and buy Ross Enamait's books (which contain a training program.)

You can also head to crossfit.com, see the plentiful of free resources and do the WODs to the best of your abilities with the equipment you have.

At the end of the day, either you'll have to spend a lot of time researching and coming up with your own program, or you'll have to fork some money (either in membership subscription, buying a book/e-book, or equipment) to follow up a pre-established training program.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2008 10:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, Thanks Macho

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/14/2008 10:22am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dozer
    They covered physical therapy. Before the accident I was 210lbs with 26%body fat. It has taken over two year to heal up. If I could afford a personal trainer I would get one. Thanks Emevas. I am looking or something a little ont he free side. Money is tight these days.

That site I linked you to IS free. Go to the workouts section, look at the free workouts.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/14/2008 10:34am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BD, one thing that could help is if you could list the equipment you have, down to the number of dumbbell handles, plates, weight per plate, ankle weights (which are very useful) and such.

The other thing is that the amount of weight you plan to drop in two months is 50lbs. That's 25lbs a month, possible but a hard task. Keep this in mind. Don't set such hard-line goals for such short periods of time.

That is, instead of looking at target-specific goals (drop X lbs in Y weeks), make them goal-specific - for example: maintain consistent weight loss for the next two months as follows: Measure your weight every morning, and you take an average every Saturday. Your average weight computed this Saturday is less than what was measured two weeks ago.

You can compare your weekly averages at any time, but you want to focus on a weight drop maintained by-weekly (to accomodate of fluctuations.)

Once you get that process going, then you can focus on lossing specific or approximate amounts of pounds at every two measurements.

Then, if you end up losing 50lbs in two months, that' d be great. But if not, if you still show a consistent drop as prescribed above, you will still have achieved a goal (consistent weight drop from one week to the next).

Don't understimate the power of making that kind of change in thinking (focusing on the process of progress). There is nothing that can mentally set you back more than fixing on a very specific target and then slipping.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2008 10:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK thanks both to Macho and Emavas. I am getting my diet back on as well. Which is a solid one, but I am addicted to soda and thats a hard habit to break lol Youre right my goal is a bit high. When I started wrestling years ago I stepped in at 270lbs. I finished that season at 208lbs. I lost 0ver 60lbs in a little over 3 months.I maintained that weight for almost 2 years. But I had coaches telling me what to do, a full weight room at my disposal and an entire team to back me up. Now I am doing this pretty much on my own. I am gonna make an appointment with the nutritionist though.
    Last edited by Big Dozer; 6/14/2008 10:57am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2008 12:47pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dozer
    I recently had several surgeries done as a result of a car wreck I was in. I was recently given full clearance from the doctor on work out. I realized today my workouts are very repetitive. I have mats, wrist weights, ankle weights, and 200lbs worth of weights, a weight bench, mats and a roller bar. I know that I am not supposed to just do the same exact work outs each day, work on different sections, keep your body guessing. So is there a site I can look up some exercises on? Some simple at home ones. I gained a lot of weight while in recovery and I would like to get close to where I was at. I am at 308lbs right now and I would like to get down to 250lbs by the end of August. I know how to diet properly and I am doing that, but I need a good work out to go with it. I am looking to gain muscle mass, but mainly to be healthy again.
    If you want to try something a bit --well, more than a bit-- different, have a look at metacafe.com You can use 300 spartan workout home as a search term

They're basically ads for his website, where, of course you can sign up for free and of course he's trying to sell you something but the little videos show a lot of useful stuff that seems challenging enough to assist weight loss. There also seems to be enough useful stuff in the free sections of his site to make joining worthwhile but I would sure use a "throwaway" email address to sign up.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast