Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BOXMAN
    Oh...look into Krav Maga in your area. Here is link to Krav Maga Worldwide but there are others.

http://www.kravmaga.com/newjersey.asp
    Krav has HUGE quality control issues. Some schools are good, others not so good. Be very careful when looking at a Krav school, in generally there are better alternatives with less of a BS risk. Also tends to be pricey.

Style
    FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For women's self defense, I'd focus on grappling as it's one of the more likely issues that you may have to deal with in that situation. Plus if you're only 125 pounds, it may be difficult to KO a much larger opponent with strikes, as you simply don't have a lot of mass. Even with a size disparity, you can still learn to toss larger opponents on their heads and choke them out.

So, my recommendation would be Judo, SAMBO, BJJ, or submission grappling/mma.

Style
    Shotokan, Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami
    Krav has HUGE quality control issues. Some schools are good, others not so good. Be very careful when looking at a Krav school, in generally there are better alternatives with less of a BS risk. Also tends to be pricey.
    Agree on all points but you are safe if you deal with a school that is certified by one of the larger organizations like KMWW or similar. The good schools are very good. Can be pricey compared to a boxing gym or Judo club. If you end up in a good school you will likely never look back to most other aets except those that may compliment your Krav Maga training like Judo or BJJ.

That said, I box along with KM...not because of anything other than I can get to the boxing gym any time.

Style
    8 step preying mantis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami

Kung Fu is not a Martial Art. I don't care what you think, your wrong.
    I sweat every time I go to my King Fu class. Sorry you couldn't find a form of Kung FU you liked. You are bagging on all kung fu when you took wing chun? You said you took it for two years and you also said you taught it for two and a half years? so did you do four and a half years in an art you think doesn't work. Why so much time on a waste? Maybe the problem with the chun was the practitrioner. I am not sticking up for the chun it is just that I have seen good fighters in alot of different MA's including Kung FU.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjsongfox

And don't take that bit you quoted the wrong way.. I suppose it reads badly, but it's not intended to sound like "I've always had better things to do".. more like, I never had the money or time (quite literally).

As far as searching google and the dojo reviews, I did try that for quite a while. That's really what led me here.. too much bullshido out there. There seem to be a lot of McDojos in this area (there's a tiger suckman's and an amerikick within a mile of my house). I did read a couple of reviews of some decent South Jersey Dojos, but they're a little out of my driving distance and not really what I'm looking for. Another reason I figured I'd just try my luck with this post.

I think grappling is a good idea.. makes a lot of sense, as most fights end up on the ground anyway. I like the idea of using your enemy's momentum against them. I like the body torque usage in Muay Thai, as well. I understand about MMA not being a style in and of itself, just how I refer to my interest in the crossing of styles as well.

If MMA would be the smartest way to achieve the style benefits/diciplines as well as the practical defense ability.. would it be worth driving to Princeton to train in Jeet Kun Do? I really would like to hear experienced fighters' opinions on that. I've heard it referred to as the origin of MMA.. and I've also heard people adamantly opposed to it. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

If you're within distance and would like to train, I just started teaching a mixed martial arts class at the Amerikick in Northeast Philly. If you want a quick mapquest, its at Cottman Ave and Route 1 (Roosevelt Blvd).

Amerikick Northeast Philly

8025 E. Roosevelt Blvd. 2nd Floor
    Philadelphia, PA 19152
    Phone: 215.708.CHOP

If you're concerned about McDojo's or bullshido, my class is anything but- Im a brown belt in BJJ, have 2-3 years experience in muay thai, and am currently 3-0 in MMA.
    Last edited by Gumby; 7/25/2008 6:38am at .

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

Style
    karate / bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wait, what? dude, go get your new tags!

Page 3 of 3 First 123