Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

Style
    karate / bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jdk schools have to be looked at carefully. some are mma gyms, and some are bruce lee fanboy clubs.

i'd recommend checking out all the mma and bjj schools in the area (as you may find that one of the latter doubles as the former), and see what people here know about them.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjsongfox
    I guess I should start by saying that I'm physically fit (5'9", 135 lbs, 24 yrs. old), although my cardio could use a little work. I have a well versed background in sports and dance. What I'm looking for is a style that really means something to me. (I know that sounds like a moronic thing to say when seeking an opinion, but..) What I mean is, I'm looking for a lot out of a style.. quick movements that promote agility, strength, balance and power. I'd like my movements to have meaning, and not just be blindly wailing on my opponent. Actually, being able to wail on someone and overwhelm the with agile, yet strong accurate movements would be good as well. The balance is key. Most importantly, I'd like to be able to defend myself.. for real. Hopefully, practicality meets with formality somewhere.
    The Judo people will say Judo and the BJJ people will say BJJ, but remember: They're two styles that compliment each other amazingly. If you want to go down the grappling path then start with one and if you find the time/money then start the other.

(edit: also if you REALLY want cardio I say Capoeira rules. It's not very practical so it might not be what you're looking for. However, in terms of cardio it's amazing. Your dance skills will help you there as well)

You said you want direct, meaningful, movements and these styles will not let you down. Simply taking a step while having a good grip will be enough to get your opponent off balance (ok now I'm nutriding but I don't care).

Anyways I'll leave you with a Judo vid my fellow ssj. (I used to put ssj in my sns also heheh. If you go to the antimma forums i'm an ssj there too. damn i miss this tag)

WELCOME TO BULLSHIDO =)

YouTube - The Gentle Way

Style
    8 step preying mantis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP (original poster)

I hope you find Bullshido interesting. I really think that you should go to several of the places around you that you find interesting. Check out the classes and see which one will offer you what you are looking for. See which atmosphere that you could stand to be in long enough to learn something. I also suggest that you don't take advice from people that have no clue about you or your convictions. I take 8-step Preying Mantis Kung Fu and I find it to cover most of the aspects that you are looking for although most posters on this board will tell you Kung Fu is a waste of time I see it differently. What I am trying to get at is you might not like what someone else does so go experience the different classes for yourself. They probably have different ways of teaching and most people learn better with certain methods. If you don't enjoy what you are learning or who you are learning it with it can make it difficult to advance in understanding.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having come from a Kung-Fu, specifically Wing Chun background I cannot say strongly enough to avoid Kung Fu. ESPECIALLY Wing Chun.

As a whole the system is in desperate need of a reality check. Fundamentally flawed doesnt even begin to describe it, but oh well.

On to the current topic. Judo, BJJ, Boxing. Thats going to be your holy trinity and probably the easiest to find. Boxing is readily available most everywhere and quite cheap. Judo is the same, BJJ is much more expensive.

While Kickboxing is good most of what you will find will be of the cardio variety, with little to no combat effectiveness. Thai Boxing is also hard to find.

So recap, if you want striking look for a good boxing gym. If they have kickboxing all the better. Baring that Judo. Baring that BJJ.

Good Luck!
    Welcome to Bullshido and please keep us posted as to what you find!

Style
    8 step preying mantis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami
    Having come from a Kung-Fu, specifically Wing Chun background I cannot say strongly enough to avoid Kung Fu. ESPECIALLY Wing Chun.
    Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it can't work for someone else. I know a Wing Chun practitioner that would whip 90% of the posters on this panel. He understood it and could use it very well. If you practice an art it is meant to be used in a certain manner and if you deviate from that it won't be as affective. The longer you dedicate yourself to an art the better you will become at using what you learn. Even boxers have to throw x-amount of jabs before their jab is a good one. It is the same in any art. There are usefull things and there are not so usefull things in every art. There are strengths and weeknesses in every art. Cung Le studied Kung Fu and is now the Elite XC Champion. So you see alot of the usefullness of an art depends on the practitioner.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seriousmantid
    Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it can't work for someone else. I know a Wing Chun practitioner that would whip 90% of the posters on this panel. He understood it and could use it very well. If you practice an art it is meant to be used in a certain manner and if you deviate from that it won't be as affective. The longer you dedicate yourself to an art the better you will become at using what you learn. Even boxers have to throw x-amount of jabs before their jab is a good one. It is the same in any art. There are usefull things and there are not so usefull things in every art. There are strengths and weeknesses in every art. Cung Le studied Kung Fu and is now the Elite XC Champion. So you see alot of the usefullness of an art depends on the practitioner.

As this discussion is a horribly mangled dead horse and this is a Newbietown thread I'll keep this civil and brief.

Your wrong. Sorry, dead wrong. A single Kung-Fu practitioner that heavily cross trains and manages to be successful is NOT statistically significant. However the hundreds if not thousands of Kung-Fu practitioners that time and time again are shown to be unable to fight ARE statistically significant.

Just as has been said before, the vast majority of boxers can throw a good jab. I would hazard as high as 99% of boxers throw a good jab. Nowhere near that percentile of Kung-Fu practitioners can. What does that tell you? That the bulk of a persons combat effectiveness is STYLE dependent not PRACTITIONER dependent as you stated above.

Let me make this personal, I invested two and a half years of blood sweat and tears into Wing Chun and have absolutely nothing to show for it. Two months of BJJ and four months of Judo and I feel reasonable confident I could handle myself in an altercation. Same practitioner (me) different styles (Kung-Fu vs. Judo/BJJ) so based on this we see the STYLE matters infinitely more then the practitioner.

There will always be outliers. People who can not make a good system work or people who can make a bad system work. However they are statistically irrelevant and therefore are useless in terms of argument.

Style
    Shotokan, Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Save yourself some time and wasted energy by starting out out the closest boxing/kickboxing gym. They will likely have grappling as well. Either that or a Judo club that has BJJ and Muay Thai. If you're not into grappling then go the Boxing, Muay thai, Kickboxing route.

Here is what a boxing gym should look/feel like....

www.bellmorekickboxingacademy.com

And no, I have no affiliation.

Style
    8 step preying mantis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=ignatzami]As this discussion is a horribly mangled dead horse and this is a Newbietown thread I'll keep this civil and brief.

Let me make this personal, I invested two and a half years of blood sweat and tears into Wing Chun and have absolutely nothing to show for it. Two months of BJJ and four months of Judo and I feel reasonable confident I could handle myself in an altercation. Same practitioner (me) different styles (Kung-Fu vs. Judo/BJJ) so based on this we see the STYLE matters infinitely more then the practitioner.

I am glad that you found something that works for you. You ever heard the expression, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink." So you see the point I was making about somethings being right for some but not others.

Style
    Shotokan, Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh...look into Krav Maga in your area. Here is link to Krav Maga Worldwide but there are others.

http://www.kravmaga.com/newjersey.asp

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seriousmantid
    I am glad that you found something that works for you. You ever heard the expression, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink." So you see the point I was making about somethings being right for some but not others.
    You can lead a horse to a trough, however telling the horse the trough contains water when in truth it contains mud does not make the horse more likely to drink. Your deluded, Kung Fu, in general with RARE exceptions, does not work, Kung Fu is mired in antiquated training methods, lineage wars, and an over-developed sense of deadly.

If you want to prance, dance, and never sweat then Wing Chun is for you. You want to fight get the hell out. Find a Judo, BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai, Kickboxing etc. school.

I spent two and a half years teaching women Wing Chun as "self defense" and of all the things I've done in my life that SIN is the one that bothers me the most. If any of those women needed the techniques we taught I guarantee they wouldn't work for them. So no, I have no respect for Kung Fu, or those who teach it with the exception of practitioners like Omega who seem to have woken up.

Kung Fu is not a Martial Art. I don't care what you think, your wrong.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last