Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: Taiyoku?

Style
    mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The start of the style came from Brian Anderson and Derek Soroka . The Karate side came from Kyokushin Karate, They thought very highly of Ron Sittrop. but I know other karate styles played a part . The Jujitsu came from Aiki-Jujitsu. But it looks more like Bjj now. They started it so they could get rid of the weak points of each style. It developed in western Canada mosty in Edmonton and Vancouver. Brian Anderson is in Vancouver now and derek Soroka is in the Edmonton area.

Style
    TKD, wrestling, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a governing body or head somewhere?

How about a website to explain a little bit about the style?

Finally . . . yes I have lots of questions . . . how would one confirm membership of an individual and/or dan ranking of someone in this style.

Thanks

Just waiting for the paperboy. supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkmma
    The start of the style came from Brian Anderson and Derek Soroka . The Karate side came from Kyokushin Karate, They thought very highly of Ron Sittrop. but I know other karate styles played a part . The Jujitsu came from Aiki-Jujitsu. But it looks more like Bjj now. They started it so they could get rid of the weak points of each style. It developed in western Canada mosty in Edmonton and Vancouver. Brian Anderson is in Vancouver now and derek Soroka is in the Edmonton area.
    And i bet they both suck.

Style
    mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Art
    Has anyone heard of Taiyoku?

I followed one of the google adds up above to a website where the head instructor claims he has a 6th degree blackbelt in Taiyoku, further states that this is a mixed martial art.

I've never heard of this before and after a google search I have yet to find anything that really says any additional information.

Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry Art I Just read the first part of what you posted the first time. I did not see the 6th dan part. The only people that could claim that Rank or higher is Brain Anderson Derek Soroka, Spencer Aderson, Mike Woodford or loraul loucks. If It is not one of them. I would have to look into it. there could be someone in Vanouver I do not know about, but I do not think so.

we are not talking about the WTF. you can call up the Kukkiwon if someone claims they have a WTF TKD Black belt. Mixed Martial Arts is new most Mixed Schools do not have a World Body. most schools that mixed years ago pissed off there instructors and organisations from the style before the mix and it was the same with this style they would say your bastardising the style. you do not need grappling I would not let any one close to me any way. now alot of the guys that said that call them selfs MMA and they do BJJ .This is a small regional style. The Instructors keep track of there own. you would have to talk to the Instructors to find out ranks.

I talked to Mike woodford yesterday and his new web site is just a month old and does not have every thing up yet. the martial arts info part was put in by the website company. But he is planning on putting up the Ranks of all the Black Belts, style info and history.
    I forgot to get the website but i will get it for you if you like. If you need info fast you should call him he knows allot more then I do. and said he would be happy to talk to anyone that would like to know about the style.

I hope that helped

so who's rank would you like to know?

Years ago we had one of the purple belts that was kicked out, Teaching jujitsu as a black belt at one of the kickboxing schools in town a month later. every year or so I get another story about this guy, doesn't have a black belt in anything but now he is a master. he has a yellow belt in TKD and a purple with us and now he is a master. kicked off the police force for pulling his gun on another policemen in the locker room. He told us he was not shaving for work becouse he was under cover. Dale kliparchuk i think thats how to spell his last name. this guy is someone never to train with.

and why?

are you thinking of training in the style?

Or are you from another school? and would just like to know?

Style
    TKD, wrestling, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mixed Martial Arts is new most Mixed Schools do not have a World Body. most schools that mixed years ago pissed off there instructors and organisations from the style before the mix and it was the same with this style they would say your bastardising the style.
    What I'm gathering from your explanation, which was suggested by another poster earlier in the thread, is that you have simply mixed the styles and call it mixed martial arts. Round here and anyone else who I have spoken with, equate mixed martial arts with the sport. Is the training that is done focused towards MMA competition or is it simply a mix of styles being taught within the curriculum?

Personally I see so many schools using the terms mixed martial arts when they don't teach it. I feel that this is simply jumping on the marketing bandwagon because currently it is trendy to do so.

I talked to Mike woodford yesterday and his new web site is just a month old and does not have every thing up yet.
    I have found two sites associated with Mike Woodford. Which one is the old site and which is the new site.

http://www.edmontonmixedmartialarts.ca/
    http://tjkkarate.com/

I also notice that both sites mention the use of the pro-star MMA curriculum.

and why?

are you thinking of training in the style?

Or are you from another school? and would just like to know?
    I'm more curious than anything. As what for what I do for a living many times I'm asked about martial arts schools in the area fairly often. When I come across one I don't know of I look into it a little so I can either recommend it or not. I ran across the first website listed from the google ads that appear on bullshido. I followed thinking it was an MMA school.

You had mentioned this in a previous post . . .
    The start of the style came from Brian Anderson and Derek Soroka . The Karate side came from Kyokushin Karate, They thought very highly of Ron Sittrop. but I know other karate styles played a part . The Jujitsu came from Aiki-Jujitsu. But it looks more like Bjj now.
    . . . in terms of the grappling looking more like BJJ, is this something that the instructors are actively training in, in order to offer it through their school or is this the standard "I think this is what BJJ looks like so I'm going to teach it as such" line that is often heard. I don't mean to sound aggressive in the questioning, just trying to cover my bases here.

Thanks for the help.

Style
    mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I said BJJ becouse thats what the ground work looks likes to me. I was at a very good seminar that Royce Gracie did years ago. And I was at another Seminar in San Diago the same year and in the same hotel they had a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Tournament. I missed most of the seminar , but the tourament was worth it. and thats what alot of the ground work looks like to me. and becouse one of the styles you train in is BJJ I thought you would know what I was talking about right away.

I had to find out some of the other things you asked becouse i did not know all the anwsers The TJK web site should not be working , It was stopped months ago becouse the web site provider could not or would not fix some problems with the site they would update the web site and a day or two later everything would change back. They put some guys with low hands on the front page of the site and no one could get it off . The new website is working much better. Im told it is a much simplier site but everything works right.

The School was called TJK or Taiyoku Jujitsu Karate for meny years , but most people had trouble remembering the name. It was not a good name for a commercial school. the new name is working alot better. and he is moving away from tjk. edmontonmixedmartialarts.ca is the right site.

the style came before the MMA term was arould. it was called a mixed style, Free style was also used alot. Now you say mixed style witch was always used and you get a blank look and they do not know what your talking about you say MMA and most people have a good idea of what the style is. if 90% of the population picks a term like it or not if it helps people understan something go with it.

Also mike has been trying to organise the tjk schools. to standardise the curriculum but it has not worked very well. one of the Instuctors is doing mostly the karate part. One is doing mostly the jujistu part. and most just want to do there own thing. He would like to be in a organisation with standardised mixed curiculum and becouse he could not pull the styles Instrucers together he had to chose to becoming the head of his own or finding an organisation to join. But he felt the ground work needed to be better. he looked in to Bjj and Trained at a number of seminars. But he went to a seminar with something called MATA . He talked to John Graden and he told him about someone named Jerry Jones from somewere called nutly. Who was suppost to be an incredible grappling instructor. He went to jerry jones school and trained there. It turns out he has students in MMA and NAGA matches. He watched his students in a NAGA tourinment. and Mike said he is the best grapping instructor that he has ever seen. Im told his students are incredable, he never seen them lose a match. Jerry Jones is the grapping instructor with pro star so mike is giveing it a try. He has been training with him every couple of months, the ground work was ok before but now its great. after I read your post I went to the school to get some info. I jumped into a class and im sad to say I got taped out all night.

hope I got every thing you wanted to know.

You may Know this, if I go to the fights or I talk to Instructors from other Styles. the one person they bad mouth the most is the guy from the combat zone I do not remember his name. when I talked to him he teaches 6or8 styles including BJJ . I asked mike but he just said he heard the bad mouthing too But he does not what to repeat it becouse he does not really know if its true or not so he will not say anything bad about him. do you know if he is the fraud I keep hearing about?

Style
    mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I missed an answer he does both self defence mosty but he does the sport rout as well . But he will not just take a fighter on they have to train and work for it first.

Style
    TKD, wrestling, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I said BJJ becouse thats what the ground work looks likes to me. I was at a very good seminar that Royce Gracie did years ago. And I was at another Seminar in San Diago the same year and in the same hotel they had a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Tournament. I missed most of the seminar , but the tourament was worth it. and thats what alot of the ground work looks like to me. and becouse one of the styles you train in is BJJ I thought you would know what I was talking about right away.
    Here's the thing: To someone who isn't trained in the style it may look like something similar, but once a person has trained in it the subtle details start to pop out. My reason for asking about the "BJJ" is based on a picture from the current website.

Now me not being an expert in BJJ or anything I do know that any time I've done an armbar like that I've been chastised.

The School was called TJK or Taiyoku Jujitsu Karate for meny years , but most people had trouble remembering the name. It was not a good name for a commercial school. the new name is working alot better. and he is moving away from tjk. edmontonmixedmartialarts.ca is the right site.
    Thanks for clarifiying which the current site is.

Also mike has been trying to organise the tjk schools. to standardise the curriculum but it has not worked very well.
    Would it be safe to say then that Mike is the current head of the TJK organization/style.

he looked in to Bjj and Trained at a number of seminars. But he went to a seminar with something called MATA . . . Jerry Jones is the grapping instructor with pro star so mike is giveing it a try. He has been training with him every couple of months, the ground work was ok before but now its great. after I read your post I went to the school to get some info. I jumped into a class and im sad to say I got taped out all night.
    My opinion, it is great to get to seminars but in order to offer a quality product I think an instructor should already have trained in a style long enough to know it inside and out, or be currently and actively training it on a consistent basis. Maybe a question better suite for Mike, but has he not tried training with any of the gyms around Edmonton that have established grappling programs?

I missed an answer he does both self defence mosty but he does the sport rout as well . But he will not just take a fighter on they have to train and work for it first.
    Does the gym attend tournaments on a regular basis? Does Mike currently have anyone who has competed at an amateur or pro status training under him?

Thanks again.

Style
    mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember I said looks like becouse some of it looks like BJJ to me. I do not train in it I have only admired it. I have sparred with some of the guys that say they are BJJ in town and played with it at seminars. mike never said he does it.

you are looking at a pictures that students put up for fun. it is not an instructional photo, two student fulling around. I can see the guy doing the arm bar has not ever droped his shoulders yet, its not even fully on yet. and agian i ment looks like.

Mike Woodford fills Brain Anderson would be or should be the head of TJK if the style could be put back together.

I have been training for over 20 years I trained with Brain Anderson for some time. and becouse I herd so much about him when Brian moved I started trained with mike. I have been teaching on my own for 10 years. Mike hosted mixed tournaments 20 years ago I was there.
    they were open to all schools the place was packed. you could point spar forms full contact spar and jujitsu and mixed. His school was the school that win most of it. I cant think of one of the schools that say they are MMA or BJJ Being there or they were not grappling if they were there. He has been Training in Jujitsu for at least 30 years. I have had meny BJJ MMA guys from the other schools in town come and train with me or i would go to thiers. I never have much trouble with them. The only time i can last for a minut or two grappling with mike is when he is playing with me. I have never seen him taped out.
    he tells me dont worry about it everone gets taped out but I have never seen it happen to him.

you said
    but has he not tried training with any of the gyms around Edmonton that have established grappling programs?

so you are saying that someone with 30 years of jujitsu. should be going to a school with established grappling program

The established schools you are talking about got into BJJ and MMA becouse the UFC. mostly I would say.

The day the first UFC was on I was training at mike woodfords school. He was teaching us grappling. He stoped class and had us come to his house to watch the ufc. and even told us royce grasie was going to win. becouse he was a grappler He was teaching it before your so called established schools ever even heird of BJJ or MMA.

you talk about jumping on the bandwagon

TJK is the only mixed school in the city before UFC or the turm MMA or BJJ was talk about here. I think some schools jumped on the banwagon But i think the schools that added it are smarts it works. mike always told me if it works do it. but TJK was first how is first not established. how is first jumping on the bandwagon.

All the BJJ MMA Schools were not here 20 years agos or 10 or 5? and all the new Bjj schools that are in tkd schools and meny of the ones i talked to seem to have learnd on vidios or Dvds Have something to teach him. NO ONE IS BJJ or anything else if you order a dvd. I do think that I or someone that has trained a long time can add new things with them but you need a base. .

I have always liked the Arashi do guys but grapping is new to them. I have seen them in stop piont tournements and they and there students always do well. I do not know how long they have been grappling but its not that long.

I think mikes ground work is better then any one I have seen. Mike thinks Jerry Jones ground work is better then his. He thinks Jerry Jones Style is better then BJJ. If he thought BJJ was better he would be in BJJ. He thinks BJJ did alot for martial arts and the Gracies amasing.. But I think some one with over 30 years of Jujitsu karate Muay Thai and more. and now is training with jerry becouse he thinks he is the best. should not be juged by anyone. if he wants to make his school better then it is already good for him. all the new schools that add to there school with BJJ good for them.

you also said you think a instructore should train in a style long anuf to know it inside and out. I agree is 30 years not long anuf for you?

I know any of the top gracies could come to my school I could show them a variation of a grappling move they have not seen before and if they liked it they could go home and make it work fast. I know mike can to. He is not training in some thing that he has never trained in before Jerry has variations that mike thinks is worth learning. that will make his school ever better then it is now.

why would he train in one of your estabeshed schools with someone that is not as good as he is, I would do it for fun to get a workout but why would i go to a school that was not better then i am, would you? and you seem to have a problem with that? you seen to be trying to make it look like he is doing something wrong? you seem to be trying to make it look like someone that was training and teaching in a MMA style before the turm was used much Should not have the right use the turm. why?

TJK was the first MMA that i know of in this city and i looked at all the schools and you are trying to say other schools that just added grappling in the last 5 years are somehow better. some of the schools came to TJK to learn it. I was the one that had to lose training time becouse they could not do anything.

as for training for tournaments as long as a student is working and training hard has a good aditud he will train them for compitition

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I signed up just to post on this thread. As a former student of Brian Anderson in his "Taiyoku" Ju Jitsu Association, I'd like to shed some light on this martial art and it's origin and development. The word "Taiyoku" is a term adopted by Shihan Anderson to differentiate his dojo from other Goshindo Ryu Ju Jitsu schools. Yes the "K" was lost in translation! I have also trained in Goshindo Ryu Ju Jitsu with another Sensei in a different dojo. This style was first practiced in Canada at the Cold Lake Air Force Base in northern Alberta. It follows the Judo belt rank system, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, black. And in the old days they wore natural cotton Judo gi's since that's what was available at the time. They wear regular Karate gi, white top black pants in the Taiyoku dojo. They all wear boxing gloves and sometimes headgear and contact kick box that includes Judo throws in the clinch! Check out Nippon Kempo matches from Japan, Goshindo is a (real) Kempo system and renamed Ju Jitsu. In the Taiyoku dojo, Machado Brazilian Jiu Jitsu has been incorporated and ground grappling is now "bread and butter training" I chose to train in the Taiyoku dojo for that reason, and the fact I could afford to pay the dues! More legitimate Brazilian Jiu Jitsu schools charged more than I could afford. It's not how good your instructor is, especially if he doesn't 'roll' with his students, it's how good your training partners are. There were a couple of guys there with plenty of previous grappling experience in high school Wrestling and Judo 3rd dan earned in Japan! I suspect any new name changes or training descriptions to include "MMA" is just to get paying students through the door. I personally think that's a shame since the root art, Goshindo and it's Military base heritage should be exciting enough, with it's all contact sparring training that's decades ahead of any "MMA" training! I never asked for any Kyokushin Karate Kata training as this was optional, I was there to roll! Today I have found a Legitimate Gracie Jiu Jitsu school and couldn't be happier with the high level of instruction and the high level of skill of those I get to roll with!

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last