Sponsored Links Spacer Image

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 7:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still work rubber guard (much to the chagrin of my sunday instructor, who regards it as shennanigans. Shennanigans, i tell you)

Although, to be honest, i'm teaching rubber guard to myself, from books/videos, with the help of a partner. I know its not ideal, but point me to the nearest 10th planet school in detroit, then we can talk, lol.

Right now, i use mission control/new york. Mainly for control, and setting up some sweeps. I don't feel very secure in chill dog yet, but, i have pulled off the omaplata from the guard pass (once in chill dog, lol)

Mainly, though, like i said, i use rubber guard as a unique way of controlling my opponent...i hope to add in the sub game, but its hard, when learning from a book, lol.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 7:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    I still work rubber guard (much to the chagrin of my sunday instructor, who regards it as shennanigans. Shennanigans, i tell you)

Although, to be honest, i'm teaching rubber guard to myself, from books/videos, with the help of a partner. I know its not ideal, but point me to the nearest 10th planet school in detroit, then we can talk, lol.

Right now, i use mission control/new york. Mainly for control, and setting up some sweeps. I don't feel very secure in chill dog yet, but, i have pulled off the omaplata from the guard pass (once in chill dog, lol)

Mainly, though, like i said, i use rubber guard as a unique way of controlling my opponent...i hope to add in the sub game, but its hard, when learning from a book, lol.
    Dude, don't worry about it. How do you think I learned. I haven't worked many of the twister stuff yet just because I have enough BJJ on my plate right now. I'm not big on the twister per say but I do like how you can use it to counter scarf hold, take the back, go for leg attacks. As such, it makes it a very versatile move that I will need to learn.

The fact is, you are better off than I am with regards to having a friend who's willing to practice this stuff with you. I don't have that so I have to try it on the fly a lot of time during sparring. The whole "thrown to the sharks" approach to learning the system. It has it's advantages but more drawbacks in my opinion.

One training aid you can do, which I did, was to remove the spin from the book and put all the individual pages in plastic paper protectors that you can place in a three ring binder. This way, you can take the sections you plan on working on with you and only those sections. It also protects it from the normal hazards of everyday use.

Another thing is to find out what stuff you are currently good at and like doing and find the techniques in the book that go with that. For example, I'm good at performing armbars, then triangle, then omaplatas with the occasional gogo put in there. As such, I've focused my time on the techniques in Mastering the Rubber Guard that adhere to what I already know and love. It makes it easier to implement the Rubber Guard into my current BJJ game without being overloaded with a whole bunch of other stuff.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 9:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    Dude, don't worry about it. How do you think I learned. I haven't worked many of the twister stuff yet just because I have enough BJJ on my plate right now. I'm not big on the twister per say but I do like how you can use it to counter scarf hold, take the back, go for leg attacks. As such, it makes it a very versatile move that I will need to learn.

The fact is, you are better off than I am with regards to having a friend who's willing to practice this stuff with you. I don't have that so I have to try it on the fly a lot of time during sparring. The whole "thrown to the sharks" approach to learning the system. It has it's advantages but more drawbacks in my opinion.

One training aid you can do, which I did, was to remove the spin from the book and put all the individual pages in plastic paper protectors that you can place in a three ring binder. This way, you can take the sections you plan on working on with you and only those sections. It also protects it from the normal hazards of everyday use.

Another thing is to find out what stuff you are currently good at and like doing and find the techniques in the book that go with that. For example, I'm good at performing armbars, then triangle, then omaplatas with the occasional gogo put in there. As such, I've focused my time on the techniques in Mastering the Rubber Guard that adhere to what I already know and love. It makes it easier to implement the Rubber Guard into my current BJJ game without being overloaded with a whole bunch of other stuff.
    Some bad ass advice in here, i'll certainly take it!

I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    I agree with moosey

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 11:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing funnier than a white belt pulling rubber guard and trying to do some goofy **** right as I pass his guard.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 11:15pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    Nothing funnier than a white belt pulling rubber guard and trying to do some goofy **** right as I pass his guard.
    Indeed.

My guard doesn't get passed, though, i'm not that silly!

Raz, i really hope that i can attend the next mega, i'd really like to meet you, lol. (show you i don't suck quit so much...)

I agree with moosey

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 11:59pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just as a heads-up, if you're bringing outside material into class, you can cause anything from minor annoyance to a major confrontation if you're not applying stuff that you actually learn in class in addition to trying new material. Especially if your school is oriented so that the instructors work on stuff based on student feedback. Few things are more frustrating to an instructor than to show bread-and-butter techniques like the "hitch-hiker armbar escape" to a newer student only to watch them ignore it for Demian Maia's "backwards-somersault counter-armbar" technique and failing miserably. (btw, it's a cool move)

It's no different than if you're in a philosophy class looking at rationalism (Descartes), and you have the douche who comes in instead with Hume and empiricism.

Instructionals are great for people with a basic level of knowledge in a specific area, and they need some inspiration or other perspectives on how to deal with situations. Where the argument and issue comes up is when people neglect the basics being taught in the class in favor of the "flavor of the moment" stuff they see on YouTube or RapidShare.

The key issue is making sure you're utilizing what's being taught to you. Because short of farting right in their face in north/south or trying for a heel-hook in gi class, nothing will piss off your instructor more than ignoring what they're trying to teach.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 12:09am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judah Maccabee
    Just as a heads-up, if you're bringing outside material into class, you can cause anything from minor annoyance to a major confrontation if you're not applying stuff that you actually learn in class in addition to trying new material. Especially if your school is oriented so that the instructors work on stuff based on student feedback. Few things are more frustrating to an instructor than to show bread-and-butter techniques like the "hitch-hiker armbar escape" to a newer student only to watch them ignore it for Demian Maia's "backwards-somersault counter-armbar" technique and failing miserably. (btw, it's a cool move)

It's no different than if you're in a philosophy class looking at rationalism (Descartes), and you have the douche who comes in instead with Hume and empiricism.

Instructionals are great for people with a basic level of knowledge in a specific area, and they need some inspiration or other perspectives on how to deal with situations. Where the argument and issue comes up is when people neglect the basics being taught in the class in favor of the "flavor of the moment" stuff they see on YouTube or RapidShare.

The key issue is making sure you're utilizing what's being taught to you. Because short of farting right in their face in north/south or trying for a heel-hook in gi class, nothing will piss off your instructor more than ignoring what they're trying to teach.
    I know what you mean...My school is pretty cool, the instructors encourage people to try new things...I asked my instructor about different stuff like Rubber and inverted guard, and they were very frank, telling me they didn't know much about it at all, lol, but, i was encouraged to try it out, see what works for me.

But i'm always sure to try what the instructor showed in class...contrary to how i may or may not come off on here, i'm a pretty respectful kid, and good student :p

God, there is this guy i train with, and this dude's always blowing all sorts of **** everywhere. I hate to say it, but i make it a point to kick this guy's ass everytime i roll with him...

I agree with moosey
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789