Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 3:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I caught that bag of ice. Still, you don't think he also got out muscled some?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 4:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judah Maccabee
    How often do you see rubber guard in either high-level grappling competition or MMA in general?

You hear it spoken of quite a bit in UFC, especially because Joe Rogan is a high-level student under its exponent, Eddie Bravo, and Joe Rogan is one of the voices of MMA, literally.

But its utilization? Rubber guard is like the "Crazy Monkey" boxing style - it's a fairly different-looking take on conventional wisdom, and there are pockets of individuals who utilize it (Tito Ortiz vs. Liddell in UFC 40-something for CM), but it's not part of the majority
    Oh yeah, I realise that, but I'm still surprised that guys who are still very much developing their MMA game (the ones on TUF), as opposed to guys who have been pros for a while and are unlikely to radically change their game, aren't going to it more. I mean, it's been around for a few years now. I guess I overestimated how influential Eddie Bravo is with jits and MMA coaches.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 4:22pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    Yeah, I caught that bag of ice. Still, you don't think he also got out muscled some?
    Of course he got outmuscled some, but any strength advantage is gonna be significantly magnified if you can barely use one arm.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 5:05pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings.

The fact that very few if any high level bjj'ers in both mma and bjj/sub grappling ever even mess with rubber guard should make any reasonable person question if it is nearly as effective/universal as the guy selling the books would have you believe.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 5:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knave
    Greetings.

The fact that very few if any high level bjj'ers in both mma and bjj/sub grappling ever even mess with rubber guard should make any reasonable person question if it is nearly as effective/universal as the guy selling the books would have you believe.
    I was rolling with our blackbelt instructor in class one time. I had him in guard, and managed to pull mission control then new york.

At this point, he grabbed me, and straightened his back, and i was hoisted in the air. The whole time he's just sort of looking at me. I was like...oh shi- and let go of the position, and tried to work for something else.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Bassline to the Mainline

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 3:14am

Style: JamBoxer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    blaw blaw blaw, bullshido whiles bitches and moans, silly limp wristed dickery. JT wins, pay for my reg. member rights and all the bells and whistles vs. the same. p.me me for details. that and a gift. cert. for 60 lollars for your favorite fat/fast food
    trivial and worth nothing but still willl be tritj tp upir neomg a moron/ *been drinking* worst is still bond

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 11:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knave
    Greetings.

Keep in mind that very few people actually have the physical attributes to pull off rubber guard.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 11:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    Keep in mind that very few people actually have the physical attributes to pull off rubber guard.
    It requires a degree of flexibility, but if it requires some hilarious unreal level then you're not doing it right. I can only just about put my foot behind my head, with some pain and much bending at the waist, and I can quite comfortably play rubber guard.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 11:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    It requires a degree of flexibility, but if it requires some hilarious unreal level then you're not doing it right. I can only just about put my foot behind my head, with some pain and much bending at the waist, and I can quite comfortably play rubber guard.
    Ha, i can't even touch my foot to my face, and i can play rubber guard well.

well, i can touch my foot to my face after i'm warm/stretched, but its not something i do on a regular basis, as i'm sure you understand (the foot --> face thing)

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    6/17/2008 11:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    I was rolling with our blackbelt instructor in class one time. I had him in guard, and managed to pull mission control then new york.
    What the hell does all that mean anyway?

You BJJ guys and your terminology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 89 LastLast