Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 3:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Diogo Emiliano's Ecrime Romaji - "Gypsy" knife fighting debunked

I am currently training both BJJ and a system called Sotai (basically, I study under an excellent teacher named Ricardo who decided to create an organization called Sotai to give a name to what he teaches - we tend to see it more as a study group).

Anyway, we focus on the practical aplication of martial arts to self defense, so we stick to what isnīt fancy: jabs, straights, hooks, some kicks, grappling, good old fashioned sparring...and knife fighting (there is some stick fighting too, but mostly we do knifes).

So, we heard of this guy called Diogo Emiliano, supposedly an expert of a system called "Ecrime Romaji" (or romai, whatever), an unbeatable gypsy knife fighting system. According to this guy he was absolutey untouchable (except against other practitioners of his system), and any of his students with more than two months of training could beat ANYONE in a "knife fight".

To prove how hot he is, he challenged any and all to a "knife fight"...with a blindfold. He said he could feel the opponent, and therefore neednīt use his eyes - yes, pretty much a jedi trick.

Well, here is the video. Ricardo is the japanese guy in black, Diogo is wearing red.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw6mmZEkge0

So, Diogo getting his throat cut notwithstanding, here is where it gets nice - he decided to organize a championship right there, in the middle of the seminar...and ALL his students lost to beginners.

PS: I suppose it doesnīt take a rocket scientist to figure out how Diogo actually sees despite the blindfold.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 7:42pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's he jabbering about when they pause the action at two minutes in?
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 9:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, he says:

"I inverted the cutting angle because every time I attacked he was retreating his guard. I know this because of the vibration of the tatame mats, because I can smell him (even though he doesnīt smell much, heīs a clean guy), he treads lightly so I donīt get much information thanks to the floor vibration, neither do I get too much atmospheric (!?) information. When you advance you have only too options, you either pull and open the guard (?) or do (canīt get this point) which is a subject we will see later".
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 10:15pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh lord! Fencing 101.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 3:18am

Style: Capoeira, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. This guy won't get far in the bullshido world if he actually CHALLENGES people to test his BS. He needs to say that he's too deadly to spar and play up the gypsy angle more. That's a hot ticket right there!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 6:04am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am by no means an expert knife fighter but it would be cool to be able to ask him a few questions...

Why such a low guard with the check-hand? Even when they come really close the check-hand hangs almost limp to the side. Should the attacker know anything about faking, he would fake an attack to the right-hand side, opening up the whole body for a real strike.

There is also the "first hit off-switch" in this demo. Again, I am no expert, but it seems like good practice to actually either gain som distance after a hit, or take your opponent to the ground (preferrably after a disarm or at least a firm grip securing the knife hand, or if such can be done a "return to sender" having the guy fall on his own blade).

Again - I might be out on thin ice here. I am in NO way an expert (I've done some two months of blade classes now, training FMA) so I might not fully appreciate the concept here. But to me it just looks... stupid?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 11:11am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I enjoyed Ricardo's general look of bemusement as he circled Diogo.

That demonstration looked pretty unimpressive to me, a knife fighting layperson. While I'm sure that Diogo isn't using this clip as a commercial, I certainly wouldn't pay for his services after watching it.

You could definitely see a fencing influence in where Diogo kept his hands.

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 11:21am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While there are many differences that make viable approaches in knife fighting, there are also marks of the amateur, the tyro, the autere who would be best served putting the dangerous toys away before they get hurt. As a policy I do no like to critiqe videos because I am quite sure that if I put a video of my stuff on there would be the requisite number of internet commentators.... so consider these comments of a general nature:

1) The amateur does not emply the other hand. It just sort of flops around, or is put out of the way.

2) The amateur usually looks like a bad fencer

3) the amateur does one strike (slash. parry stab) at a time. Like it takes so much skill to quickly slash at an opponent

4) The amateur employs no footwork. Usually they have only one angle of attack and defence as well.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 11:56am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ************ obviously wasn't the 7th son of the 7th son.

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 12:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would have been fun to see him take off the blindfold and spar Ricardo. Ricardo looks like the one who should have been giving the seminar.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast