Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 3:06pm

Style: Movement

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

4 oz. MMA Gloves + Ignorance = Irritative Disablement?

I had just gotten some really nice nhb gloves and had been working the bag and target mitts for about a week before it happened. It turns out that I contracted a superficial case of miliaria, caused by the constant friction between my hands and the leather parts in the glove. Not only that, but since I wasn't really sure on how to clean them (as the internet provided scary answers involving bleach and dumb ones involving cedar chips) I also contracted a light form of staph, which it turns out can be a triggering mechanism for miliaria.

You see, the pain in the ass with miliaria is that it gets worse if you sweat, and you have to remain in cold dry tempuratures and take cold showers. I live in Hawaii, so no going outside, no training etc. for 3 weeks straight.

Point being that in case you don't know, wrap your fingers, wrist and any place that the leather might cause friction with your skin with athletic tape. Also, I would very much appreciate it if anyone could give me any good alternatives to using athletic tape. I have some 180' hand wraps but use those only for boxing gloves or by themselves (too big for the nhb's).

Furthermore, a friend of mine recommended a cleaner called phisoderm. However, it turns out that they discontinued the line of antimicrobial soap they had going a few years ago, so if anyone could provide me with a good alternative it would be great.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 3:10pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Similarly, I got the staph a few months back and was wearing my gloves the night I contracted it. As such, I'm too paranoid to put my damn hands back in those gloves and they've been collecting dust ever since. I would like to know of a good disinfectant to use so I can put them back in action.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 3:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lysol.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 3:19pm

Style: Movement

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muchi gratzi I was just headed out to get some supplies.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 3:22pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Lysol.
    Do you rinse it out when you're don?

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 3:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohan
    Do you rinse it out when you're don?

No, I just let it dry. I suppose if you use a formula with a surfactant, you might need to rinse off some of the foaming.

Call/write the manufacturer of your equipment when in doubt about its care and cleaning.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 5:35pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll echo Tom's, I get back from training and all gloves are lysol'd heavy, then hung to air in the garage on PVC tubes. Inside and out.

I do also use hand wraps, more for the hand protection than skin, but Everlast ones (boxing length not Muay Thai length). They fit inside my 4.5 oz gloves. I have like 5 pairs, wash them every time I use them (use a laundry bag so they don't tie up everything else in the washer).

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 6:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're using MMA training gloves, I suppose you could try wrapping your hands like this:

I've never actually wrapped my hands using this method, but I suppose it could do the trick.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 7:56pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get these. If you're doing bag work with the things they're a good idea regardless:

http://www.combatsports.com/detail.aspx?ID=24269
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 8:34pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

DUDE, WTF??????

Why is the OP using those gloves for bag work? Those are sparring gloves, not bag gloves, completely different animals.

Use bag gloves for Christ's sake. And if your hands aren't conditioned, use wraps.

This is a open-finger bag glove:

Amazon.com: Harbinger 320 Bag Glove WristWrap (Black): Sports & Outdoors
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 6/11/2008 8:36pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast