Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 2:03pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Spector
    Normally I'd say that experience will wash it away, but it sounds like you've already got a lot of that. Have you considered that you might have an anxiety disorder?

OOOh. Yes. Xanax is the only way to go.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 2:05pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to have a lot of nervousness before all of my matches but after many years of training and competing (off and on) it's seemed to go away.

The last time I competed was in March and I honestly expected to be nervous but I wasn't. My attitude was completely different this time around compared to previous matches. I basically had a, "I don't give a **** about what happens, either I'm going to win or I'm going to lose. Let's just get this over with." kind of mentality. Surprisingly I wasn't nervous at all, don't get me wrong, I got destroyed but I wasn't nervous and was capable of executing attacks smoothly.

It's just something you get over after a while.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 2:23pm

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Spector
    Normally I'd say that experience will wash it away, but it sounds like you've already got a lot of that. Have you considered that you might have an anxiety disorder?
    I mean I don't have alot, other than in wrestling in TKD, its just I have done several different things. I dont think I so much have an anxiety disorder, I just put alot of pressure on myself to do well in those types of situations, and it blows up in my face. I was just curious if there are stratigies to overcome this, or just more training and more experience and it will come

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 2:24pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even Yasuhiro Yamashita (203 consecutive victories in international Judo competition) describes in his book about how he always has to pee really bad right before competitions and stuff. (He says to pee away). If he can get nervous ... well ...

Infidel

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 2:58pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if it's the same but I can't piss next to guys. If someone is standing in a urnal and I walk up beside them and try to piss the water won't turn on, I have to go in a stall.

If I'm already pissing and someone goes beside me I can usually keep going (barely) but I need to imagine myself in a field pissing in bushes with no one around.

Thats the worst kid of stage fright IMO

O_o
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 3:09pm

Style: BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn
    I have done high school wrestling, ametuer kickboxing, and ameteur mma and always its the same, my muscles tense and wont untense, i sweat all together too much, and I get winded if I take a step. The only time when I wasn't like this was when I competed in TKD, but that was only regional stuff and I did decently and knew everyone there.
    Adrenaline dump meet Beorn. Beorn meet Adenaline dump. This happens to everyone. This is the body's natural response. Yes, it's an unpleasant feeling. I suppose everyone deals with it in their own way. For me, first it was a matter of understanding what was going on. Second, realizing that everyone feels this way. Then thirdly, using that knowledge in actual competition. Specifically, becoming aware of my breathing and being able to meter it appropriately in the few seconds prior to and as the match starts. All other things being equal, the competitor who can best keep his cool will win.

Another thing that helped me was that I had, in the past, lost matches due to my inability to deal with nerves. I've always felt really bad about that and so I use that as ammunition for matches now. On the other hand, I've never felt bad about losing a match when the other guy was just better. So, just make a promise to yourself that no matter how shitty you feel or how scared you are or how much it feels like you're going to pass out, that you will give it your all and not give up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 6:14pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I imagine myself in the worst possible situation, like being one of those people having to jump to their deaths from the burning twin towers, then realise that what I'm doing is nothing bad at all.

That or smoke a massive doobie.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 6:52pm

Style: Panda Punch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Train harder. If you train as hard as is physically possible, you'll have nothing to be nervous about.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 7:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I noticed that I get better the more and the harder I train, the more your sparring is like a real fight, the more you get used to it, it is something you do on a regular basis, you know you will get hit but it does not bother you any more. That is for the nervous factor.

For the "not being as good as you should be" part I have my own approach. I need to get hit a lot before I kind of "snap"/zone I just can't go full speed/force until I reach that point, not very practical but this is the only way I can fight at my full potential never managed to get to that stage of mind on an other way.

Infidel

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 7:22pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by f4n4n
    I noticed that I get better the more and the harder I train, the more your sparring is like a real fight, the more you get used to it, it is something you do on a regular basis, you know you will get hit but it does not bother you any more. That is for the nervous factor.

For the "not being as good as you should be" part I have my own approach. I need to get hit a lot before I kind of "snap"/zone I just can't go full speed/force until I reach that point, not very practical but this is the only way I can fight at my full potential never managed to get to that stage of mind on an other way.
    So you're basically the hulk?
    Don't make me angry, you wouldn't LIKE me when I'm angry
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast