Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 1:07pm

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stage fright

So instead of starting a "the only reason you don't see _____ in the cage" thread, I figured I would ask about something that has been bothering me for a while, How do you get over the jitters of getting into the cage/ring/mat for real?

I have done high school wrestling, ametuer kickboxing, and ameteur mma and always its the same, my muscles tense and wont untense, i sweat all together too much, and I get winded if I take a step. The only time when I wasn't like this was when I competed in TKD, but that was only regional stuff and I did decently and knew everyone there.

So I mean I know that more cardio will help, but I mean I have lost to guys who I could (and have) mopped the floor with in scrimmages/practice. the reason I even ask is I was supposed to have a match this month, but injuries and general unpreparedness has pushed that back to august/september, and I dont want to embarass myself.

I just want to know that even if I lose when I go out and compete, I was able to give everything I had. I know we have a lot of good competitors on this sight, and hopefully one of them gets stage fright too. any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 1:17pm

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone gets nervous or afraid before a fight. You just got to get in the zone. When I fought I was very nervous, but once they call you in thats it, there is no crowd anymore, there is nothing but the guy standing across from me.

Try to relax before your fight, nervousness will tire you out for your fight. Once your in the ring remember nothing matters but beating that guy across from you.

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 1:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get in the ring as often as you can. After you compete a few times, you know what to expect and it won't seem like uncharted territory to your nerves. You may never get completely over it but you will be able to lessen the intensity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 1:25pm

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just the other night at my club a guy who has been competing for years was talking about how competition has become almost routine for him. Lately he's been having trouble getting psyched up before a match!

I haven't reached that point for sure but it tells me that the more you do it the less likely you are to get debilitating jitters before the fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 1:25pm

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    see thats it, I feel like if I dont win I am letting down my team, my family/friends that came out to see me, and myself for not living up to what i am capable of, its not just me and him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 1:30pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Booze helps (aka liquid courage). From my experience, the more you do it, the less you'll think about the pressure (unless it's a championship fight).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 1:33pm

Style: Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn
    see thats it, I feel like if I dont win I am letting down my team, my family/friends that came out to see me, and myself for not living up to what i am capable of, its not just me and him.

Dude, it's just a game.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 1:36pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try to relax, not that I know from experience (never fought)

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 1:40pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That 'dude it's just a game' will actually help me a great deal, personally.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 1:57pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Normally I'd say that experience will wash it away, but it sounds like you've already got a lot of that. Have you considered that you might have an anxiety disorder?
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast