1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 12:14pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Taking the back from Lockdown

This will probably be moved when it is revealed as a gotard move but here goes. Last night on my first night back in BJJ from a 8 week layoff I pulled off this move. I can't figure out if its for real or I just got really lucky. I was doing it intentionally but was still pretty surprised when it work so well.

Start in Lockdown then get real low on their hips. I used some of the framing and positioning in Aeso's LDHG series. Then reach under their non trapped leg and force them to put weight on their hands by switching your hips. If you do it hard enough the leg in your hand should be very light and almost in the air. At this point all you have to do is bring your head through their legs and climb up the back. I waited for the last possible second to let go of the lockdown legs so he couldn't turn into me. I got the body triangle and RNC from there.

What do you think? Legit badassery or lol-accident.

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 1:54pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What was your opponent's size in relation to you?

I've got a 6'8" guy I want to try this on...but the 5'7" 140 lbs wrestler will laugh at me.

Posted On:
    6/11/2008 1:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe 3" taller, similar build. He was 5'9" 170 or so.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 8:09am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I'm reading what your saying correctly, I'm pretty sure I've done something at least superficially similar on more than one occasion, I don't use the lockdown though in half guard.

From an underhook on the trapped leg side and a paw grip on the other hand, when I loose the paw grip and my opponent goes to drive his arm under my head to help him pass I pop his arm across me, swim my underhooking arm through so that my head and both arms are on the same side of my opponent whilst trying to switch so I'm lying on my side facingmy opponents head, then I hook the arm that was holding the paw grip between my opponents legs and use it to create space to move the rest of my body through.

The one thing I found when I do this is that if I'm to slow about it, or if I get flattened out then I'm stuffed and end up being stuck in the position and getting passed. Other than that it's a really good move for me.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 8:27am

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mastering the rubber guard
    stoner control from the electric chair (pages 68-70)

Is that what you mean? If you don't have access to MtRG:

"Electric chair" is a sweep that's basically a banana split from the bottom. "Stoner control" is what Bravo calls the position resulting from passing the leg you're splitting using your arms over your head and bodylocking from behind, but with the lockdown still maintained on one leg. It's almost like the control position for a twister but flipped. From here back control is a few steps away, but most of the time an opponent will fall and give you side control to avoid having their back taken.

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 11:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I looked it up in my copy of Mastering the rubber guard and Jiu-jitsu Unleashed. Its not there. It is VERY similar to electric chair -> stoner control but you switch your head and come out the back instead of going to the side. I think the reason its not in Eddie's book is because it'd be hard to do with out a GI I was able to use the belt and jacket to climb up his back.

Also I was just looking at a Stoner control video once he passes the leg he stays back down to pin his opponent. I never go that far back I reach for the belt and start up the back as soon as my head passes.
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 6/12/2008 11:16am at .

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 11:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I invented this move I get to name it right? I'm calling it The Morlock!

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 11:19am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I need pics and/or vids, please.

Seriously. I'm the resident dwarf within my school, and I've got all sorts of ogres and giants to roll with. This sounds fun.

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 11:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    I need pics and/or vids, please.

Seriously. I'm the resident dwarf within my school, and I've got all sorts of ogres and giants to roll with. This sounds fun.
    Eddie Bravo: Stoner Control from Half Guard by choke88 -- Revver Online Video Sharing Network

@ 1:35 he stops screwing around with the guys feet and starts to come up. In Gi I was able to keep the guy face down and climb up the back. I assume because he has less control in No-Gi he lets the guy turn into him and takes side control.

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 8:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I tried this again tonight in No-Gi and it just became the regular stoner control sweep to side control. Which means it was either dumb luck or I can only get enough control with the Gi.