Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 9:20am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the responses guys.

JNP; without properly learning how to Tornado Roll, you might find the move difficult. Believe me though, once you get the Tornado Roll working, you will find a ton of uses for it. That's why we have 12 drills to learn how to properly Tornado Roll from all sorts of positions as well as 11 applications of it from common positions.

Valthrudnir; Google or Youtube Roleta, Ryan Hall, Pe de Pano, or Diaz and you will see guys utilizing it in competitions. Once you learn to Tornado Roll & Invert properly your guard becomes virtually impassable.

Jasonblade; It's not too risky for sport BJJ, but I'd be lying if I said it was good to use for MMA. The Tornado Roll, yes, but I wouldn't Invert in an MMA match.

Keep the comments coming guys.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 12:09pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Might have to check out the DVD, inverted guard is screaming omoplata at me. And I reckon it would be pretty smooth and fast.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 12:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I WILL be trying the "tornado roll" from half guard. Never seen it before but I like it, a lot.

Is the "tornado roll" the transition + the shoulder lock or is the roll simply the transition to the back from under half guard?

The detail on foot placement from inverted guard to hit the triangle was very good. Given that I don't use it much at all I end up stalling out when I do get there trying to figure out where to place my foot to smoothly transition into........ooop, there it goes again he passed my guard.

Great vids.

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 1:42pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    New Clip from the DVD now up;

http://www.bjjcity.com/sweepfrominverte.html

Enjoy!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2008 2:49pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Wrasslin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks thats really interesting, I think i'll try that tornado roll tomorrow in class. The inverted guard stuff seems a bit too risky to try at my level.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 7:59am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have any footage of the most recent post "Inverted Guard Sweep" being used live.

I understand that you are simply demonstrating the technique and there is no resistance but, once you have inverted and grab the belt to begin the sweep there is nothing stopping the guy from posting with his right arm or leg.

Given the angle, under full resistance, I see the guy posting with his right arm to stop the roll. From there he could pivot to his right, probably into a scramble, or to his left, resulting in him taking your back or passing to side control on your right.

Any thoughts on the live application of this sweep.

As a side note I have been working on the "Tornado Roll" from half guard. I have found that guys with shorter legs have an easier time hitting hit. Being 6'3" it seems like my rotation underneath and out takes forever. Very cool and unexpected transition though. Have not hit it live but I'm gonna keep working it.

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 8:20am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Golden, with all due respect there are 12 drills to properly learn the Tornado Roll prior to getting into the applications on the DVD for a reason. Mainly because though it is simplistic in it's nature, getting it right is complicated. Much like most jiu jitsu, it seems easy enough, but in order to be able to pull it off against a decent, resisting opponent your movements and timing have to be precise. Learning the Tornado Roll properly first is the key. Chuck is over 6 feet and over 200 lbs and can pull off Tornado Rolls like he is a small guy.

As for footage in real rolls, I would suggest checking out Roleta. He has been using this sweep for a long time and used it to beat Wallid in competition.

I can also tell you that I have been swept with it a bunch myself. The first guy to learn it in our academy was sweeping everyone with it. The beauty of these techniques and guys that can utilize them is that they are tricky. Most of the time the guys don't even know what your doing, let alone how to stop it!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 8:27am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't want to be the first one to criticize, but giving up the underhook to the guy on top just doesn't seem like a good idea. it has been my experience that in general, he who gets the underhook wins.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 10:35am

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    Do you have any footage of the most recent post "Inverted Guard Sweep" being used live.

I understand that you are simply demonstrating the technique and there is no resistance but, once you have inverted and grab the belt to begin the sweep there is nothing stopping the guy from posting with his right arm or leg.

Given the angle, under full resistance, I see the guy posting with his right arm to stop the roll. From there he could pivot to his right, probably into a scramble, or to his left, resulting in him taking your back or passing to side control on your right.
    you are right that people can post on that sweep if they have good awareness, but when they do it set's up a million things for you as long as you're one step ahead. I see Ryan Hall do this regularly to make them post in order to get into the 50/50, and other leg-locks. I would asume that the DVD probably branches into that stuff later on.

When is the DVD going to be for sale? Depending on the price I'm definitely interested in checking it out

edit: just found the site. I'll probably pick it up next week. I would get it now, but I just bought Robson Moura's set yesterday
    Last edited by M-Tri; 7/02/2008 1:03pm at .
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

Posted On:
    7/02/2008 11:54am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    I didn't want to be the first one to criticize, but giving up the underhook to the guy on top just doesn't seem like a good idea. it has been my experience that in general, he who gets the underhook wins.
    You are absolutely right! Never let the guy get the farside underhook or control your head. However, that is not what is happening in this video. You are controlling the space with your top leg, so the guy has no farside underhook, shoulder pressure, etc. Without being able to control that space, you cannot perform the inversion. Watch the video again, Chuck's top leg is controlling the space.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast