Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last
  1. #1
    danielsaun
    Guest
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Hello need some advice/feedback please

    I am a new martial artist that was motivated to learn realistic self defense. I am 43, in pretty good shape, but do have some lower back and right knee problems, which prevent me from throwing arts and hard core grappling. I am interested in FMA but frankly I have taken a few hours of class and it seems very complicated requiring a lot of coordination.

    So I found a local school that teaches real self defense skills based on silat and mixture of other martial arts.

    I am considering leaving the school. One of the instructors is good the other one is a verbally abusive dick. I have been going there for a few months. Some of the other concerns I have about the school is that we can practice full speed because silat is too dangerous and we don't need to because our bodies will speed up naturally in a real attack. That doesn't make sense. I can't see how a fully padded, geared up training partner is going to get hurt unless I am doing a neck break.

    I want to do scenario based training and am considering Krav Maga so I checked out a local school and I really liked how they did the drills full speed but with the music blasting and the small thai pads combined with a taller training partner it was almost dangerous. I almost got elbow striked in the face. And gawd KM wanted a 6 month contract for $130 a month and sign up fee $$$$.

    Sorry for my rambling, hopefully you can see my confusion, frustration, and trying to figure out my next step.

    So can Silat be practiced at full speed by anyone or is my guru saying the same as all gurus?

    TIA

  2. #2
    danielsaun
    Guest
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know I am a noob, but I do have friends that have trained in wrestling/MMA and this is why you don't want to go the ground in a street fight. His friend a blue belt in BJJ engaged this guy on the street in a fight and won, but because he went to ground on concrete he is now going to physical therapy and a chiropractor.

  3. #3
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    35,236
    Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsaun View Post
    I know I am a noob, but I do have friends that have trained in wrestling/MMA and this is why you don't want to go the ground in a street fight. His friend a blue belt in BJJ engaged this guy on the street in a fight and won, but because he went to ground on concrete he is now going to physical therapy and a chiropractor.
    Yes, and people shouldn't strike on the street because:
    I know a guy who broke his nose and had surgery who won.
    I know a guy who broke his hand punching who won.
    I know a guy who jammed his toes who won.

    See what error you made?

  4. #4
    danielsaun
    Guest
    -1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get your point, but disagree. BJJ is sport fighting IMO, not designed for street fighting or SD. The Ring is padded the street isn't and has debris often. I was wrestling and grappling this weekend on the ground with a training partner and got a puncture wound from heavy tree bark coming through my shirt.

    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yes, and people shouldn't strike on the street because:
    I know a guy who broke his nose and had surgery who won.
    I know a guy who broke his hand punching who won.
    I know a guy who jammed his toes who won.

    See what error you made?

  5. #5
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    35,236
    Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsaun View Post
    I get your point, but disagree.
    Of course you do. You do not see the failure in your logical process. One incident does not negate an entire art.

    BJJ is sport fighting IMO, not designed for street fighting or SD.
    Actually, the Gracie's, before the UFC, disproved this notion long ago.

    The Ring is padded the street isn't and has debris often.
    Neither does the dojo, kwoon, YMCA, or university club where you practie your art.

    I was wrestling and grappling this weekend on the ground with a training partner and got a puncture wound from heavy tree bark coming through my shirt.
    Oh no, you got hurt practicing. I broke a guys nose while sparring when he bent down to x-block a kick from his krotty training. Oh no, krotty is not for self defense.

  6. #6
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    14,109
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsaun View Post
    The Ring is padded the street isn't and has debris often. I was wrestling and grappling this weekend on the ground with a training partner and got a puncture wound from heavy tree bark coming through my shirt.
    A good grappler avoids the pointy dangers of the street by surfing over them, using his opponent as the board.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    157
    Style
    Muay Thai, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are myriad threads on aliveness, t3h deadly, and RBSD - use the search function and you will be handsomely rewarded.

    Anybody that tells you their art can't be practiced full speed without maiming or killing your training partners is completely full of ****. It probably makes it easier to fly low-percentage techniques under your bullshit radar and eliminate the lack of urgency that non-compliant arts develop so well.

    The assumption that your body will naturally adapt to "fighting speed" in a real-life situation is ludicrous and downright alarming. You don't get to the majors by pitching underhand, and you certainly don't learn how to fight by playing fucking pattycake.

    Approach RBSD with caution, though I guess it depends on what your goals are in taking MA, whether it be for fitness, fun, competition, learning something applicable, or a mixture.

    Best of luck

  8. #8
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    35,236
    Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Karate Dojo:

    BJJ School:

    Kung Fu Kwoon:

    Judo Dojo:

    Boxing Gym:

    TKD Dojo:

    Muay Thai:

    Krav Maga school:

    I see ZERO street, needles, lava, multiple opponents, or obstacles in the "non-sport" gyms.

    No, pretending to be deadly doesn't make your training better for the street.
    BJJ is sport fighting IMO, not designed for street fighting or SD. The Ring is padded the street isn't and has debris often. I was wrestling and grappling this weekend on the ground with a training partner and got a puncture wound from heavy tree bark coming through my shirt.
    Crappling with a back injury doesn't make you knowledgeable on what is grappling, street or sport.

  9. #9
    danielsaun
    Guest
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KickPuncher View Post
    There are myriad threads on aliveness, t3h deadly, and RBSD - use the search function and you will be handsomely rewarded.

    Anybody that tells you their art can't be practiced full speed without maiming or killing your training partners is completely full of ****. It probably makes it easier to fly low-percentage techniques under your bullshit radar and eliminate the lack of urgency that non-compliant arts develop so well.

    The assumption that your body will naturally adapt to "fighting speed" in a real-life situation is ludicrous and downright alarming. You don't get to the majors by pitching underhand, and you certainly don't learn how to fight by playing fucking pattycake.

    Approach RBSD with caution, though I guess it depends on what your goals are in taking MA, whether it be for fitness, fun, competition, learning something applicable, or a mixture.

    Best of luck
    Thanks I just want RBSD that is not going to injure me in the training process but allow me to spar full contact full protected, I am already realizing an oxymoron. The other day at the Krav class my shoulder got so banged up it took 2 days to recover. I am not looking for that. I couldn't hold the the thai pad the way I was told because the partner was taller and would have wacked me in the face full speed so he was blasting through the pad into my shoulder bone tip and it hurt. I did like some of the krav stuff in that it was scenario based which I think is necessary for SD. I had the pleasure of talking to Peyton Quinn and am considering RMCAT, but it just seems expensive for approx. 3 days and I don't know you could retain the info 2 years down the line. I can't knock my current school totally as the taught me how to avoid a front right well stepping off line and then simultaneously attacking.

  10. #10
    danielsaun
    Guest
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fake- With all due respect I will just agree to disagree with you. You have way more experience than I due, but I know people that have a lot so I am basing my opinion on what they have told me. I have been able to talk with people like Rory Miller and Peyton Quinn so they are not cyber warriors, they have plenty of real life experience

    Street Violence is dynamic maybe BJJ would take the guy out once and next time he falls on a broken bottle under low light conditions and then he is seriously injured who knows. You are right my right cross might miss and hit a concrete wall.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in