Sponsored Links Spacer Image

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 6:47am

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Annoying things at the gym

Here it is, post the things that annoy you when you're working out.

I'll start off with this article:

1. The Sauna Stovetop A manager at a New York Sports Club was walking through the women's locker room a few years ago when she smelled cheese. Puzzled, she opened the door to the sauna, where a woman had placed bread and cheese on the hot rocks to make a postworkout grilled cheese sandwich. "Not only was it a health code violation, it was not really respectful to the other people in the sauna," says NYSC PR director Linda Hufcut. "She said, 'I do this all the time.' That was, obviously, the last time she ever did it.'"

2. Nude Fitness? A couple of visitors to a Gold's Gym in Paramus, N.J., decided to get naked and weigh themselves before they started working out. The two men didn't seem daunted by the fact that the scale was outside the locker room. They hung out by the scale, in full view of the other, clothed patrons, until a manager asked them to put some clothes on. They told Mike Epstein, the gym's owner, that they did that sort of thing all the time at their home gym. Perhaps they meant "home gym" as in the one in their basement.

3. Creative Blow-Drying A man in a California Crunch gym decided that the best way to dry out his sweaty shoes was to stick a hair dryer in each of them while he took his after-workout shower. He was shocked when managers asked him to cease and desist. "He said, 'I didn't even realize I shouldn't be doing this'," says Keith Worts, chief operating officer of Crunch, a national fitness chain.

4. Downward Dog? At another Crunch location a man had a habit of taking a yoga class while wearing shorts without underwear. He was more than happy to correct his faux pas as soon as managers made him aware that other members were uncomfortable with the view they were getting.

5. Work Out, Sleep In Some people get a little too relaxed at the gym. Gold's Gym managers have reported finding customers who fell asleep in the tanning facility and didn't wake up until the gym was closed, as well as customers who fell asleep on the bench press in between sets.

6. Killer Karaoke It's common and profoundly annoying: gymgoers get carried away listening to their music players. Before they know it they've treated everyone in the room to an off-key rendition of "...Baby One More Time." "I call it karaoke gone bad, because there is no background music and they're singing at the top of their lungs," says Harry Reo, a regional vice president for 24 Hour Fitness.

7. Talking (Too Much of) the Talk Fed up with people gabbing on their cell phones as they used the elliptical, many gyms have banned cell phones around workout equipment and designated areas for patrons to make calls. Still, people forget. "There's nothing worse than running on the treadmill and having someone next to you conducting an extremely loud conversation," says Hufcut, who's seen some people use walkie-talkies while on the treadmill.

8. Sweat Sins It seems basic, but enough people forget to wipe down their equipment after using it that this was one of the four deadly gym sins included on an informational video NYSC taped a few years ago. During the segment a careless gymgoer didn't dry off his machine; when he stood up, the entire machine was covered in dripping goo.

9. Scrimmage to Scuffle It's only logical that testosterone can run high at the gym, and sometimes managers need to break up altercations on the basketball court, says Nancy Pattee Francini, co-founder and president of the Sports Club/LA, which has 10 locations around the country. "Those guys, when they're playing basketball, can get into fights," she says. "They're not terrible fightsówe're a high-end club."
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/140685

plus I hate when I can't find the droids I'm looking for
    In summation your argument denotes a lack of intellectual honesty on your part. It is my contention that this matter would best be solved with fisticuffs. I believe I will be victorious in this regard.

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 6:53am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did a Boxaerobic Class last Saturday (the instructor is a Boxer unlike those who've just done the course) so I took my watch off and put it on the side. When I went to leave, someone had stolen it.

WTF? Personally, I really mean this, I suspect the foreigners...

I'm still amazed....

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 6:54am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The most annoying things at gyms I've been to are:

The people who take up all the dumbbells I use doing overtly stupid, isoteric isolation exercises.

The people who won't let you just pay your fucking 10-15 dollars and use the fucking equipment already. No, I don't want to sign up for a bodypump class. Why? I don't like your high-rep attitude and it doesn't fit my goals at all. No, I don't want you to call me tommorow evening and ask me whether I'm interested in membership. Can I use the fucking dumbells already?
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 7:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I've just got one more set..." Bastards. It's as though they think they own the fucking gym. It's normal etiquette to release the equipment you're using when you spot someone waiting but oh, no, not these knobs.

Excessive posing the attention-seeking groans don't help either. These types will smirk at what you're lifting in the contented delusional state that they think they're stronger (tougher) than you. (For literary types, please pardon the alliteration).

Not wiping down the equipment after they've sweated all over it.

Snide remarks with they're mates (as back-up).

And as for the 'Roid boys - I shocked one of them (not nastily - just got him to move when he didn't want to and so unexpectedly that it crossed his mind to think about retrieving his pride. He wasn't THAT brave, though).

Really, it's just Bad Manners but other users (but not me, cos I know the etiquette and I was taught my manners as a child).

Cheers

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 7:09am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In class, I hate it when newbs decide that every roll is the final round of UFC Championship match and do things like kick me in the face to keep me from passing or refuse to tap until they're almost dead.

At the gym, nothing bugs me more than hearing people on their phones while doing cardio. If you can talk on the phone then you're not fucking working hard enough!
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 7:09am

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    one of my other favorites is the guys that consistently only work upper body so they have tiny chicken legs and a stiff breeze would consequently knock them on their asses
    Last edited by partyboy; 6/10/2008 7:13am at .
    In summation your argument denotes a lack of intellectual honesty on your part. It is my contention that this matter would best be solved with fisticuffs. I believe I will be victorious in this regard.

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 7:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by partyboy
    one of my other favorites is the guys that consistently only work upper body so they have tiny chicken legs and a stiff breeze would consequently knock them on their asses
    Agreed, that's why they wear baggy lifters pants to hide the legs. Yet, they wear such fetching tops to draw attention to the overly inflated Upper Body.

I once saw a bloke enter without a shirt (this is really not on - it also makes the girlies feel uncomfortable, as you can see them squirm) and he lifted himself with full body weight on the Pull Up Bar and did some sets. He followed with full Tricep Dips - yep, he was a strong fucker - but then he walked out and passed me as he did so. JESUS but under his loooonnng shorts, he revealed tobacco-pipe cleaner legs. Laugh? I nearly bought a Round....

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 7:33am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not that I think people should surrender equipment the minute I walk in like I own the place, it's the fact that they're wasting perfectly awesome dumbbells on shitty isolation exercises that bugs me. It's not even the practical ones (yes, I realise all exercise has a utility, but really... Do you NEED your XYZ bicep curl?) like shoulder shrugs or something. It's always those bizarre ones to work obscure individual muscles in the back or shoulders or something, ones you'd hit pretty good with a basic row or military press or something.

I've spoken with people who get into lifting and I feel like slapping the taste out of their mouth whenever I ask "How much do you squat?" and they reply "Naw, I don't do legs. I just do upper body stuff and run."

I'm one of those people who reads a lot more than they do, so it's incredibly hypocritical of me to judge gymbunnies, but like all assholes, I do it anyway.

Edit: Squats are, and always will be, my favourite exercise. I come away feeling horrible from a session if I don't get my squats to a satisfactory degree of failure. The sad thing is I have no-one to spot me, especially if I'm at a shitty gym without employees with a basic sense of exercise programming or technique wandering the floor.
    Last edited by socratic; 6/10/2008 7:35am at .
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 7:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have only "spotted" for one person and that's cos he asked me and I knew him (a former Karate Dan Grade and he came to my opening JJ Class - quite startled him). He's a Fireman so I'm only gonna say good things.

The other selfish bastard-type is the Cardio freak who won't give up the Treadmill even at the busiest time when the etiquette is to limit yourself to no more than 20mins yet these bastards will either just re-set the equipment (thinking I haven't noticed this) or just carry on - cos the OWN the fucking Gym.

Of course, why couldn't I see that?

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 7:46am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate the fat people who don't do any real excercise. There is this guy who comes to my gym, he never gets a real workout in but he always writes down every little thing he does anyways. He'll sit on the bicycle for 45 minutes at 2 mph watching tennis before he does anything at all, and I want to scream at him "get up and run that lard off, boy! You ain't goin anywhere!'. Then, he'll go to the chest press, and do a set of 10 or so at 12 pounds. Then he's got to go and scribble it down in his pad....then he'll curl 8 pounds five or six times, and...back to the notepad. This **** goes on all day until he's filled a page with nonsense, excercise he could've easily gotten cleaning out his garage. That notepad gets way more attention than the equipment does.
Page 1 of 18 1 234511 ... LastLast