Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 1:43am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weak Knee/Leg Advice

I injured my left knee about a month ago (popped the knee cap). It's been doing fine, and I've been jogging and doing many light squats and leg lifts as is normal to increase quadricep strength and tightness. I've been practicing BJJ for a little over a year, although last month of that was just watching and helping newer people get basics of rolling.

Luckily, my ortho doctor also practices BJJ, which was a bonus. He said that I could be ok with rolling because there was practically nothing wrong as seen from a recent mri. He recommended using the half guard as my left knee/leg would be bad at locking in until I regained muscle mass from walking. He was correct. My closed guard is weak as I can't really lock my left knee in and break postures with it.

So far, I've been doing almost what I do in open guard in half guard. I normally hook with my right leg to destroy balance and attempt kimuras or leg sweeps. It's been sort of fun rolling with a weaker left leg as well as a good learning experience; it makes me think deeper. So, are there any other suggestions as to developing one legged techniques, or things I should ask of my more experienced buddies? They've been helping me develop my half guard game.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 1:54am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weight training. Leg extensions for kneecap issues. Hamstring curls for ACL issues. Deadlifts for general conditioning.

SWIMMING FOR (almost) ALL KNEE INJURIES.

(Oh yeah - TIME OFF TRAINING. Sucks. But it has to be done. The twisting and shearing forces that grappling produces isn't exactly the best thing for rehabilitation)

Old School DM

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 10:49am

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Weight training. Leg extensions for kneecap issues. Hamstring curls for ACL issues. Deadlifts for general conditioning.

(Oh yeah - TIME OFF TRAINING. Sucks. But it has to be done. The twisting and shearing forces that grappling produces isn't exactly the best thing for rehabilitation)
    Not to derail the thread, but I'm about to sign up for some grappling, but have been putting it off due to concerns about my knee. I don't have a fresh injury, I have a chronic. "with you forever" kind of problem.

After 3 major knee reconstructions over 20 years, I have no ACL and the docs won't do another reconstruction because the operation itself will further **** up the knee (arthritis etc)...

So the question is, is there any point in trying grappling if I know right off the bat that my knee will limit how hard I can roll? Am I pretty much just asking for another bad injury?
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 4:22pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grashnak
    Not to derail the thread, but I'm about to sign up for some grappling, but have been putting it off due to concerns about my knee. I don't have a fresh injury, I have a chronic. "with you forever" kind of problem.

After 3 major knee reconstructions over 20 years, I have no ACL and the docs won't do another reconstruction because the operation itself will further **** up the knee (arthritis etc)...

So the question is, is there any point in trying grappling if I know right off the bat that my knee will limit how hard I can roll? Am I pretty much just asking for another bad injury?
    If your knees are that messed up I highly recomend not getting into SAMBO; BJJ and Judo should be fine, since leg locks are not usually devled into untill later in BJJ and not at all in most Judo schools.

You got to keep in mind that in any contact sport you'll have a chance of injuring yourself. If you make sure to take proper steps (properly warm up, wear a brace, don't engage in locks that cause stress to your knww) you'll probably be ok. Just make sure you let your instructor and training partners know your situation.

I have to ask what your desire in learning grappling is. If your wanting to be a top MMA or sub grappling champion, your knee will probably slow you down. If your goal is to learn something new then I say go for it but be protective of your body.

Old School DM

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 4:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan
    If your knees are that messed up I highly recomend not getting into SAMBO; BJJ and Judo should be fine, since leg locks are not usually devled into untill later in BJJ and not at all in most Judo schools.

You got to keep in mind that in any contact sport you'll have a chance of injuring yourself. If you make sure to take proper steps (properly warm up, wear a brace, don't engage in locks that cause stress to your knww) you'll probably be ok. Just make sure you let your instructor and training partners know your situation.

I have to ask what your desire in learning grappling is. If your wanting to be a top MMA or sub grappling champion, your knee will probably slow you down. If your goal is to learn something new then I say go for it but be protective of your body.
    Thanks. No ambitions here, just wanted to start training something again and thought maybe for a change I'd try grappling. BJJ sounds good if they leave the leg stuff till later.
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 5:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Does the swimming suggestion cover tendonites of the knee?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 9:17pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

In regards to leg extensions, there are situations where they are actually not preferred for knee injuries, in such cases partial squats or lunges done with ultra light weights should be used. I believe it has something to do with shearing forces and unnatural pressures put on the kneecap when doing leg extensions (foot not on the ground). Bottom line, see a physical therapist if the RICE method (rest, ice, compression, elevation) doesn't alleviate the pain.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 9:30pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Macungah
    I injured my left knee about a month ago (popped the knee cap). It's been doing fine, and I've been jogging and doing many light squats and leg lifts as is normal to increase quadricep strength and tightness.
    Just as a thought, you could maybe drop the jogging for now. You could replace it with water running

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/c.../aa032002a.htm

It strengthens rapidly because there is constant resistance but there is no jarring at all. Conversely, it needs more stretching to keep flexible.

Does your patella stay in place now and track properly? Any tendon damage?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 10:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JingMerchant!
    Does the swimming suggestion cover tendonites of the knee?
    My physical therapist says yes.

Also, stationary biking is GREAT for your knees. low gear for most spins with low resistance. This apparently promotes healing in your knee joint, the circular motion with no impact has an "oiling" kind of effect.

Resistance bands, i am not sure what exactly they are called, but these large rubber bands that can go around your ankles, doing monster-walks and side shuffles in them will force your muscles to stabilize your knee instead of putting all the stress on ligaments. Start with the band around your knees and moving it lower as you get stronger until you get it down to your ankles is the smartest way to progress.

also running/jogging = bad until you get 100%

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 9:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm getting an MRI on my knee friday. The orthopedic doctor thinks it might be torn cartilage or a ligament.

Would swimming help this? Because i'm in constant pain due to my lovely knee, walk with a slight limp, and after jits i can barely walk.

:/

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast