Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 2:51pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried the Total Gym, its ok but not for me. I prefer the gym any day to this type equipment. I did try the P90X workout routine a buddy of mine had and it was kickass BTW. Most of these home "gyms" IMO are ok to use but if you really want results, there is nothing like having weights and a jump rope. You will get the results you want by just using these for your basic training at home. Anything else that you can add is a bonus.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 4:07pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by f4n4n
    I don't get it, I never used anything else than BWE and the best part, everything you need is your body (okay, maybe something for the chin ups and dips but thats it.). Why do people need all that crappy equipment? If you really need to add some weight get a weightlifting belt and some weights to hang them on but it will take some time to get there.
    Post not directly addressing the OP's questions and having to do more with defining "functional" and "dysfunctional" training, bodyweight exercises, pistols, squats and tittie twisters went here: Functional Training, B/W Exercises, Squats, Pistols, You Say Potatoe, I Say Potatoh. - No BS Martial Arts
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 3:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, thanks for all the good info. You guys are awesome!

Second, what is the beef with the total gym? Is it the price or the marketing that y'all don't agree with?

I bought mine practically new for about $100 and so far I love it. I know it's not a "be all end all" home gym but it's good to supplement my already existing body weight/ calisthenics workout I do at home. I was just looking for some good routines so my workouts won't get stale.

Plus, THE Chuck Norris uses it so it's gotta be legit. :icon_colo

Thanks again, y'all.

http://www.fightinglegacy.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 3:34pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingLegacy
    ... supplement my already existing body weight/ calisthenics workout I do at home. ...
    That's encouraging. It's best IMO to adopt a fitness philosophy and use a variety of tools that support your philosophy and goals.

I definitely wouldnt advise the opposite approach of centering your workout on any single piece of equipment.

If you don't get results from it just park it ... Like you said ... it was only $100 ... if it ends up in the closet it isnt the end of the world.
    Last edited by muddy; 6/19/2008 3:38pm at .

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 4:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Total gyp?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 7:20pm

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal
    Total gyp?
    best post in thread

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 8:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingLegacy
    First of all, thanks for all the good info. You guys are awesome!

Second, what is the beef with the total gym? Is it the price or the marketing that y'all don't agree with?

I bought mine practically new for about $100 and so far I love it. I know it's not a "be all end all" home gym but it's good to supplement my already existing body weight/ calisthenics workout I do at home. I was just looking for some good routines so my workouts won't get stale.

Plus, THE Chuck Norris uses it so it's gotta be legit. :icon_colo

Thanks again, y'all.

Here's one of my favorite problems with the total gym.

It is a bodyweight based machine. For the majority of Americans, their main fitness problem is being overweight. They will buy the machine to lose weight. As they lose weight, they lose resistance, which will decrease their returns. The law of diminishing returns is magnified a million fold because of this beautiful design flaw.

Yes, you can raise the elevation, but when my parents bought one when I was 16, I put it on the max level of incline on day 1, and could still knock out 50 reps of just about anything.

It is also extremely limited in developing the legs and lower back, crucial for combat sports or any other athletic activity.

I could go on really.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 8:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^ Pretty much what he said.

The machine has no way to adjust for an increase in strenght (or a reduction in bodyweight which is basically its main resistance mechanism.)

If a person already has an existing training program and they find this thing a valuable addition, but all means. But most people do not have such a training program. This become their main tool with flaws previously described.

There are other gadgets that are far more usable than this such as some of the 'Body By Jake' products like the cardio cruiser or the old Bun/Tigh Rocker (which are not great, but are teh-ok.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 2:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can definitely understand those points. Honestly, I never thought about the idea that as the body weight decreases the resistance also decreases. The thought never crossed my mind.

So what about using this device or similar devices (such as pilates machines) for use in maintaining flexibility? i incorporate a lot of yoga into an existing routine, ubt i've found that the Total Gym actually provides for some good stretches.

Any advice or words of wisdom that y'all could give me on this? Again, the help is much appreciated.

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 3:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How does this device compare to a pilates machine? Also, IIRC pilates machines are devised more for core strenghtening, not flexibility.

I could see, however, the total gym for stretching purposes - I'd use ropes and iron woody resistance band as shown in the EliteFS clips linked in the sticky thread if I were you (and if you have not checked the sticky thread, I suggest you do it now.)

See, the greatest problem I see with this thing is that its sold as a one-stop be-all solution, and people actually fucking swallow that! To me, that's false advertisement, a spread of missinformation on fitness, health and weight loss... which is the last thing this overweight country needs. But that's a political/ideological issue more appropriate to sociocide.

If you already own one or plan to buy one cheap in craigslist, AND you know how to work out, by all means, go for it. Otherwise, I'd suggest a lot of other things other than this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast