Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 5:50pm

Style: crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Nasal damage?

Before the stock response of "go to a doctor" abounds, I am going to one, I just won't be able to until a few weeks from now and I want to know as much as I can in the mean time.

Since roughly two months ago I can only fully breathe out of one nostril at a time. The other nostril is mostly blocked. This leaves me with about 60% of my full capacity to draw breath. The weird thing is, the nostril that's blocked and the nostril that's open switch roles at seemingly random times. The only pattern I've been able to deduce is that sneezing changes the arrangement of blocked vs. unblocked almost every time.

The only thing I can connect this to is having my nose broken (and never set thanks to the advice of the supposed EMT who was present and my own ignorance) about two years ago, but I found it strange that it my nose would just now be showing detrimental effects.

Any clues?

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 9:29pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Much sympathy man. I've never had that problem for more than a couple of days at a time and it's always easily attributed to allergies.

Try something that works for me: lie down on your side with the blocked side up , breathe through your mouth, and see if you can feel the blockage drain from the upper side to the lower side. Sometimes I can do that and sit up just as it's draining and actually get relief for a minute or two. I've also found nasal irrigation of the sort where you take the little blue squeezy thing from Rite-Aid and fill it with saline, squirt it in one nostril and out the other can clear things up.

Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 12:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oi, I feel for you. I broke my nose a long time ago and have been unable to breath at all out of one nostril ever since (and the other is reduced by about 10%). Doing anything athletic, I need to breath through my mouth. Hopefully I'll be getting surgery (finally) this year now that I have good health care.

Anywho, try a neti pot, they're about $20 and it's better than squirting **** up your nose: http://www.himalayaninstitute.org/Ne...tructions.aspx

If it's due to any sort of congestion or clogging, that WILL get it out. If not, then you need a doctor.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your broken semptum tried to fix itself, causing cartilage over-growth all bent and fucked up, blocking your nostrils. That happened to me, which severely complicated pre-existing allergies. It really screwed me up in the early 90's. I finally got under the knife on 96, and let me tell you. It was soooo worth it to be able to breath through both nostrils without any interference.

The sooner you see the doc, the better. Good luck.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/16/2008 12:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Definitely sounds like a deviated septum.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 10:39am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Macho (or anyone else who has had this surgery)...

I'm finally, finally going to go for surgery tomorrow to fix my fucked up nose so I can breathe properly.

I'm just curious...how much of a difference did you notice with your training once you had use of your nose? I don't just mean that it's more pleasant, but did you notice your stamina boost significantly?

I'm pretty convinced that a get gassed a lot easier than I should because I only have my mouth to use, even though I am in better shape than a lot of guys in my judo class. Also, I know people like Wanderlei do snorkel training specifically to make their workouts more intense by closing off breathing from their nose to make lactic acid build up faster....

SO, ridiculous question: have I, unbeknownst to me, been doing snorkel training all these years? Once my nose is fixed and I can breathe will I suddenly find myself with the stamina of a god?
    Last edited by maofas; 7/21/2008 10:46am at .

Being Sublime Daily

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 11:20am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It started with a really stupid move... I was escaping from underneath side control, and I bridged this guy off of me and his rib came down on my nose with all of his weight. Hurt a bunch but the nose seemed to remain intact. But it turns out that the damage must have gone deep.

Within a year I began to have persistent sinus infections. At first they were not bad, but they kept getting worse and worse. Eventually I got to the point where if I wasn't on ALL of the meds I will mention, my entire nasal passage would close up into a bacterial infection breeding ground.

Pharmacalogical treaments, other than antibiotics (which I spent nearly 6 months going off and on), was the decongestant Pseudophedrine and expectorant Guafinaise. Used to be able to get these in 120mg/600mg perscription strength, but they stopped offering the. Mucinex D had 60mg/600mg, and some 30mg pseudophedrine pills to supplement that often helps. NOTE: Pseudophedrine is a component of methamphetamine production so you have to ask from it from the pharmacist and sign a book to get it.

The most helpful non-surgical treatment has been Nasal Irrigation. I used 500ml of luke-warm water + a teaspoon of salt to irrigate. The bottle method seriously sucks, what you really want to do is invest in one of these: http://www.hydromedonline.com/hp.html It will set you back $100, but is well worth it for the relief it will give you.

Finally I had my ENT send me to get a CT scan, where the deviated septum was discovered. I had endoscopic sinus surgery, a turbinate reduction, and a septoplasty. The cost of the surgeries was about 9 grand (if I didn't have insurance). It has been 4 months since the surgery and I am off the meds but still doing nasal irrigation twice a day due to thick mucous that does not flow properly. Apparently it takes almost a year to fully recover from the surgery. But no more infections, and overall the increase in my quality of life has been huge.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 12:02pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long did you have to take off from training? I realize my doctor will tell me, but I'm curious/anxious.

Being Sublime Daily

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 12:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well my condition had gotten to the point where training would actually aggravate and make the infections more severe. Ultimately I had to stop the training because of the infections, and through my long downtime I have developed some problems with lower back pain, and I still have yet to return to serious training.

But doctors orders were to not do anything for a week after the surgery. Then after 3 months of post-surgery recovery I would be able to return to some semblance of normalcy, and after 1 year it would be completely healed.

But keep in mind, there are all degrees of sinusitis, and there is a spectrum of severity of the condition. if you're still able to train without being debilitated by infection, you probably have a less severe case.

There is a certain point where insurance may consider the procedure to be a more elective / "cosmetic" procedure and therefore not cover it. In fact, there was a specific clause in my policy which excluded septoplasty. I had a long, painful waiting period, where I was in limbo as my insurance company decided whether to cover the procedure. At one point the infections were so bad it sent me to the ER, and I got put on (and therefore hooked on) narcotic pain relievers just to relieve the pain of the infection. Eventually the Insurance company decided to cover me in full, I guess I should consider myself "lucky" my condition was severe enough so that my insurance covered it.

The thing is, something like 10-20% of the population has some sort of problem with their sinuses. They (the medical establishment) do not want to perform this surgery on that amount of the population. Since it sounds like you may not be insured, lets hope that you don't require the large number of procedures that I did. Surgery is a highly invasive thing and it should always be the last resort.

There are some "alternative" treatments including having the septum massaged by somebody who sticks their fingers up your nose. I didn't resort to these, and instead relied on the guidance of my ENT. If you are really serious about surgery, you want to get the imaging done to prove you have the septal deviation before they are going to consider it. If you go to a general practitioner, they will most likely put you on the meds. If the meds don't relieve you of your symptoms, you need to raise hell with the docs until they get those scans ordered.

A final note, I would not recommend having this surgery done at some back water small town hospital in the middle of nowhere, but rather a established medical facility with a sound reputation in a major metropolitan area. I have heard some horror stories about this surgery going wrong, and you REALLY don't want that to happen to you.

Being Sublime Daily

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 1:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A few more things about insurance approval...

There are 2 kinds of septal deviation, developmental ones, and those that were caused by accute injuries. If you have insurance, they are going to attempt to determine whether your septal devaiton was a pre-existing condition. This means that the "loss prevention" people at the insurance company are going to inspect your file and see if there is probable cause to assume that you had the devation prior to the start of your coverage.

Tips:

* To get the date set for your surgery you are either going to need a huge pile of cash, or a pre-authorization to perform the procedure from an insurance company.

* If you injure your nose while covered by an insurance plan, make sure you actually go to the doctor to so that the incident is documented in detail within your medical records.

* Once the surgery is ordered, they will put it on "hold" while the insurance company ponders whether they should reject your claim. My ENT sent the adjusters their notes, but did not send them my complete medical records. I had to beat down some doors to make sure that a copy of my complete medical record was received by the insurance company.

* Don't assume the insurance company has everything they need to process your claim, if they don't have a document they need, it could take them WEEKS to inform you of this by mail. Instead, be very proactive contacting them on the phone, and make sure they have every single document they need to process your pre-authorization.

Hope this helps...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast