Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2002 4:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok i've been lifting for 4 days straight, and my body is completely sore is it oke to take 2 days off, I usually only take a day off and recover within that day, I do not know what the problem is?
    overtraining??
    GS

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2002 10:19am

Style: BJJ and MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I break up my excercises and lift 3 days a week. Usually Tuesday, thursday, saturday

Every 4-5 weeks I'll take on week off.

Lifting everyday is a waste of time.

If you've just started working out(which I'm guessing the the case if your so sore) Then after a few weeks your should get so sore anymore. I'd only lift only 3-4 times a week.

Posted On:
    10/18/2002 2:43pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've found that it's cool to take up to 4 days off to just let your body recover completely. Purely personal experience though, and I'm nowhere near a pro bodybuilder.

It's kind of like cycling suppliments and such.

Fig Newtons are fruit and cake, suckah.

Posted On:
    10/18/2002 2:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Buffalo Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My brother is a personal trainer. He keeps the regiment of only working a certain set of muscles a day. Like monday he'll work legs, the next day he'll work his back etc. He's gotten some pretty good results because it allows his muscles to rest and at the same time get the calorie burning he needs to remain cut.

"But some apes they gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Ape shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2002 3:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give your body / or body parts that you train one day to rest. During that day is where the actual growth will appear as they are repairing themselves.

Also research into explosive strength as that is what you will benefit from if you are doing MA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2002 3:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Recovery is the main issue, right? I read an article written by a russian sports scientist (I'll try to dig up the website) that gave optimal recovery times for various muscle groups. The work was basically saying what matzahbal's brother does but with a regime focused on working the muscles that require x number of days to recover every x days and those that require y days, every y days., etc. Apparently these guys got some great results. At the same time they pointed out that most recovery happens during sleep and if your not sleeping well then the recovery rates are greatly increased.

"You were bored .... so you thought you'ld try some kung fu"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2002 3:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    explosive strength = lower reps with higher weight (extremely simplified)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2002 4:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is my routine:
    Tuesdays- Shoulders, calfs, and forearms
    Thursdays- Back, bi's, quads, sometimes abbs
    Saturdays- Chest, tris, sometimes neck and grip

4 days a week I do 30 mins of cardio
    Then BJJ 8-10 hours a week(sometimes Muay Thai is included)
    Then 2 hours of boxing on Fridays.

If you bulking you do more weight less reps

Getting cut = less weight more repititions.

I'm going to start plyometrics in a few months.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2002 5:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "getting cut=less weight more repetitions"

mmmmmmm

sorry but getting cut = reducing bodyfat % = burning more than you intake = less caloric intake (mostly cut carbs, sugars and fats) + more cardio

Also doing a muscle group more than once a week is a waste of time, but that once you have to really NAIL it: few sets, maximum poundages, all out to failure.

Eg. of a useful routine to gain serious all-over functional strenght (to be tweaked with experience for your body / genetics / lifestyle / etc):

monday (chest, triceps, shoulders) - benchpress, dips, shoulder press (4 sets each, all out to failure, 6-10 reps)

wednesday (upper back, lower back, biceps) - chin-ups, deadlifts, rows (4 sets each, all out to failure, 6-10 reps)

friday (upper legs, lower legs, abs) - squats, calf raises, weighted crunches (4 sets each, all out to failure, 6-10 reps)

Each routine should be only about 45min, so plenty of time for MA training before/after and also on tuesday-thursday-saturday-sunday.

Remember that the strenght and size IMPULSE is done in the gym, but the strenght and size GROWTH is done in the home: eat lots and sleep lots. Particoularly high protein and carbs in the growth phase, low carbs to cut. Stay away from sugars and excess fats.

Above routine is similar to the strenght routines followed by gymnasts and sprinters: it works.

C

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2002 6:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't work calfs and quads on the same day, if your seriously lifting heavy it almost impossible to do so.

Btw I wasn't getting into what my diet is for actual bulking and cutting cycles. Thats just a simple way of explaining the amount of weight I lift/how many reps, for if I'm either bulking or cutting.

I don't lift heavy all year.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast