Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2008 6:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno yellow dart, vera has a point about not doing anything positional against a bigger more skilled ground fighter who has him mounted. Why bother gassing yourself when it's most likely going to achieve nothing or worse get you subbed?

If there's minutes left in the round then sure you have to take your chances, but with seconds left taking the ass whooping might be the best option, in which case putting your hands up, moving your head and communicating to the ref should, in my opinion constitute intelligently defending yourself.

Why did they never try this....

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 5:05am

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu/Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vera definitely lost the round and would have had to pull something out of the bag not to lose the fight, but he was working (if poorly) from under mount.

In the same situation myself I'd cover & look for an opening; a missed punch you could get a wrist from, pull back to far so you can hook a leg up or try & clinch & pull him down if he switched to elbows. When mounted you waiting for a mistake, you can work to help them make one (upa etc) but if they are bigger than you and don't screw up you lose.

No one is saying Vera was suddenly going to win from that position but he had not lost yet.

P.S. The slowed down clip, while is shows Vera's defence better, makes it look the the ref waited much longer than he did.
    "This won't hurt me a bit..." - My training partner.:new_astha

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 6:43am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenzal
    I dunno yellow dart, vera has a point about not doing anything positional against a bigger more skilled ground fighter who has him mounted. Why bother gassing yourself when it's most likely going to achieve nothing or worse get you subbed?

If there's minutes left in the round then sure you have to take your chances, but with seconds left taking the ass whooping might be the best option, in which case putting your hands up, moving your head and communicating to the ref should, in my opinion constitute intelligently defending yourself.
    So really, the if this happened 1 minute into the round then how would you call the stoppage?
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 7:59am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrip

Here's another. The ref made the right call, you can't let a guy get punched in the head for 15 straight seconds (and yes the Kimbo fight should have been stopped in the 2nd). And insults that involve internet slang are just sad, why not just post a picture of a cat making some whacky insult with poor grammar while you're at it?

He was covered up and defending the punches. Who are you the ref?
    Oh and to make things simpler for you...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 8:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    So really, the if this happened 1 minute into the round then how would you call the stoppage?
    You let it go, and if Vera keeps taking shots like he was then within another minute it's pretty certain he'd be rendered unconscious or immobile in either the fetal position or flat on his back, at that point you call the fight irrespective of how much time remains.
    More likely Vera realises he's got to do something and gives up his back or something like that trying to escape.

Vera claims he was telling the ref he was OK, Werdum seemed to confirm this. If a fighter's doing that, covering up and moving in an attempt to avoid shots then on what grounds should it be called?

Timidity?
    With fifteen seconds left?

Maybe the ref thought those shots were harder than i did, but if that was on the feet I doubt it would have been stopped.
    Last edited by Frenzal; 6/10/2008 8:30pm at .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234